Hi from Rich in Indiana

richg

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Rich and I started training BJJ in June 06 mainly as a different form of exercise and a chance to learn something new. I enjoyed watching UFC as well as local live events. I thought that knowing more about the sport and some of the local competitors would make it more interesting.

I train in a beginer class twice a week for one hour each. I find it to actually be fun most of the time. My biggest challenge is my age. I just turned 53 last week and I have not participated in any organized sports since grade school.

I find that to compete with 20 year olds (even in a friendly, beginner class) I need to rely on my brain more than my braun.
I also need some sport specific training for strength and endurance.
I have been searching the web for several weeks and have tried a few websites, but have not gotten any hits so far.

Anyway, I have commited myself to a year of training in BJJ and will check this site periodically to see if any of the answers I seek are there.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Second, if you use the search feature in the blue menu bar across the page, you should be able to find lots of stuff on improving your endurance for sparring and other MA activities. Enjoy!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings from Ohio and welcome..FINALLY someone that's my age..i was begining to feel old...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome fellow hoosier!!

And Drac, you are old.

Jeff

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
Well THAT was hurtful..1.000 is NOT that old...
Sorry, I just count anyone who was around when Constantinople fell as old.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

Enjoy your stay and feel free to ask any questions you may have! There are quite a few people here that can help you out!:)

Mike

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to MT! I'd look up information on Matt Furey's combat conditioning...it's easy to begin and helped me out tremendously. Good Luck! (not a paid endorsment)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! Sounds like you have found something you really enjoy training. Post any questions you may have. I'm sure you will find areas where you will have answers too. :)

There are lots of helpful people and great information on the board. Happy Posting!

Kanoy919

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome Rich!

I think it's great that you're getting into the sport. I'm a little younger (44), but sure hope I can still be in it like you when I'm in my 50's...and 60s too!

Again, welcome

Latest Discussions