Heya

katepanda

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

My name is Kate and I'm also new here. I came across this place while looking up Tai Chi establishments on Long Island. By the way, does anybody know any good ones? That and Tae Kwon Do.

I used to do Tae Kwon Do back when I was in 4th grade-ish; I'm entering my freshman year of college now. I was about to test for my green belt when I just quit - still think it was a bad decision. I'm hoping to get back into it now; better late than never.

Nice to meet you all! =]

OP
K

katepanda

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome! Is there nothing offered on campus?

That's where I have a problem. I was originally going away to a college in Conneticut. Now, due to personal reasons, I applied to something more local. I should be hearing from the local campus within the next week. I'm still enrolled at the Conneticut university, though. So, I have to see what happens.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Lots of colleges have some kind of MA class, club, or program - don't lock yourself into TKD if you find something else that interests you. And good luck with both finding a class and with college!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Kate.

As Kacey said above, don't lock yourself in to a fixed path with the martial arts. There's a broad spectrum out there so, as with any subject, take your time and form your opinions as you go :).

OP
K

katepanda

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Sukerkin and Kacey for the advice. I'm currently looking at the different forms as I type.

Can somebody tell me the difference between Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD evolved from Karate and emphasizes kicking, and HKD evolved from jujutsu and emphasizes locks. They're very complementary; TKD is often mroe sports-oriented and HKD is often more self-defense-oriented. But, it varies! HKD especially varies from org. to org.

OP
K

katepanda

White Belt
Reaction score
TKD evolved from Karate and emphasizes kicking, and HKD evolved from jujutsu and emphasizes locks. They're very complementary; TKD is often mroe sports-oriented and HKD is often more self-defense-oriented. But, it varies! HKD especially varies from org. to org.

Interesting. Thanks for the response! That actually cleared up a few questions I had.

Also, thanks for the welcomes! This place is great so far! =]

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck on your MA search as well as your first year in College :)

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
I hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Kate,

Welcome to Martial Talk.

If possible checkout the local dojos, training halls, and studios. If finance is a challenge for you at this stage in life the college courses offers a very reasonable cost to help you get back in the martial arts.

Checkout this link to help you choose:

Chosing A School by Kacey
http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47497

The instructor is my opinion is more important than the style. A good instructor will work with you and teach you what you need. Feel free to take some of the free classes offered by a lot of dojos to see if your a good match with the studio. Even if you think you found the right one, go checkout some others so you can make a more informed decision.

Good luck in your search.