Master Black Belt
Reaction score
p01.gif

Just thought that I would share that with everyone that doesn't do the kata

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do this kata and yes it is done correctly in the little picture

i just wanna say that I used to use that picture as my signature back when i was on martial Planet forums. Ifs funny that you posted that pic

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:

i just wanna say that I used to use that picture as my signature back when i was on martial Planet forums. Ifs funny that you posted that pic
I just wish it had the opening move

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
its fine for people who know what there looking at, for all the rest, its just an awesome GIF image.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ppko said:
p01.gif

Just thought that I would share that with everyone that doesn't do the kata

I used that on the first page of my website a couple of years ago.....pretty cool.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sin said:

REALLY????

It's the Shotokan version......do you do shotokan?
I thought you said you were studying under someone from Mr. Oyata's organization............

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
It's the Shotokan version.....
I'm genuinely curious, as I have really no idea - Shotokan version as opposed to what? What would the differences be between a Shotokan version and the other you're talking about? Why would they appear to be similar (I am inferring from the discussion so far that thaey are....)

Thanks Robert! :asian:

Dan

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I'm genuinely curious, as I have really no idea - Shotokan version as opposed to what? What would the differences be between a Shotokan version and the other you're talking about? Why would they appear to be similar (I am inferring from the discussion so far that thaey are....)

Dan

The opening moves in Shotokan are different, the hands start down instead of up, also the footwork= the stepping is a bit different, when he moves his hand from outside block to inside he brings his hand up close to his ear, the head movement is to far to each side as well. I will try to find some photos and post what I am talking about.
Basically the "Tokyo" versions of Naihanchi differ from the Okinawan versions...in Okinawa the version tend to be more similar to each other than the Shotokan version.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I only do it the way i am taught...........the way my sensei was taught by Mr Oyata

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sin said:
I only do it the way i am taught...........the way my sensei was taught by Mr Oyata

Mr. Oyata has never taught it the way that GIF does it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, First time for me to see an action site! Wow is all I can say. When I was in Shotokan we did the Heian katas only. I was still learning this kata, but the Sensi quit, There is something special about this one Naihanchi kata...powerful.. yet a nice flow. Thanks for sharing...cool! Aloha

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:

Dan

Not asked of me, but in the version I do, we step to the left first instead of to the right, first hand move is a reach across w/ the left hand, and we use a "Naihanchi" stance as opposed to the horse stance in the image (there are other differences, but those are most glaring)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey! I remember that form, I learned it in Isshin-ryu 18 years ago, except as Sensei Bear said, we started left and the feet were turned inward (pigeon-toed), I seem to remember the stepping to be a bit different, but I don't really expect exact accuracy from an animated gif.

Wow, that brought back memories.

Lamont

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Hey! I remember that form, I learned it in Isshin-ryu 18 years ago, except as Sensei Bear said, we started left and the feet were turned inward (pigeon-toed), I seem to remember the stepping to be a bit different, but I don't really expect exact accuracy from an animated gif.

Wow, that brought back memories.

Lamont

Motobu’s son teaches it starting both to the L and to the R.

Doesn’t make much difference since both sides of the kata are exactly alike.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this form, too. I know it as Chogi One, from TKD. it was a form I had to do for my black test, thankfully I didn't screw it up. the artist did extremely well articulating the movements, even though he left out the first two steps...I imagine they'd be hard to animate into a GIF. kudos.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite kata's.

I learned it in Shotokan, but two ways.
The quote" original" version and one slightly altered by my sensi, as he learned it from his sensi.
...Something about "finger-printing" the katas (changing a little thing) so only those from his lineage would see it...

Still a great kata.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, First time for me to see an action site! Wow is all I can say. When I was in Shotokan we did the Heian katas only. I was still learning this kata, but the Sensi quit, There is something special about this one Naihanchi kata...powerful.. yet a nice flow. Thanks for sharing...cool! Aloha
Glad to share it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it is also kwown as clul-gi from ITF TKD or the speed KATA or Poomse which ever you like. I myself learned this from my father in Okinawa karate in the seventies Great form really works on your preciousness of movement within a certain time frame usaully between 7 to 12 seconds depends on your teacher...Thanks for the memory's, getting old I guess...
icon10.gif

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
REALLY????

It's the Shotokan version......do you do shotokan?
I thought you said you were studying under someone from Mr. Oyata's organization............

I do Naihanchi shodan the way Oyota teaches it, i don't know what the shotokan version of this kata looks like. But what i do know is that i find it disrespectful when you question my Art and trying to be little me.

Now to address the GIF image. From what i can see from the image the kata looks like it is being done Traditionally to Mr. Oyata's art.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sin said:
I do Naihanchi shodan the way Oyota teaches it, i don't know what the shotokan version of this kata looks like. But what i do know is that i find it disrespectful when you question my Art and trying to be little me.

Now to address the GIF image. From what i can see from the image the kata looks like it is being done Traditionally to Mr. Oyata's art.

I learned Naihanchi Shodan from Robert, and that is certainly not the method he taught me...

If your teacher learned from Mr. Oyata, and Robert learned from Mr. Oyata, and they are both teaching what Mr. Oyata taught them, then I suspect that either Mr. Oyata taught them different kata (unlikely) or your teacher picked up another variant of the form somewhere...

Whatever.

Latest Discussions