Helping out the dojo

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just an FYI, since I was thinking about it. I'm about to head out the door to the dojo, but tonight I've got a big bag of sparring gear with me that I intend to donate to the cause. Not saying look how great I am; but I have been noticing that as I make the rounds of various thrift stores and garage sales this summer, I always see the stuff. I had been ignoring it since it's mostly in kids sizes. But then I started thinking that we always need that kind of stuff for the kid's classes and often some of the kids can't afford it themselves, so I started picking it up - a dollar here and there, the stuff sells really cheap in thrift stores. I just make sure it's in serviceable condition and clean it all up very well with soap and water and disinfectant wipes before taking it in. So just a thought - if you see the stuff, even if it's not in your size, think about grabbing it! And if your dojo doesn't need any, maybe one up the road could use some. Just a thought. Now I'm off to get my head kicked in again...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great idea, Bill. I feel it is important for students/higher belts, to help out in various ways. This one really fits the (Bill).

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how your club is set up, Macho and several others are surprisingly easy to set up a distributor relationship with. Prices are often half -- or less -- than retail. I basically charge my students cost, plus a little to cover shipping. We also set up a class set of gear several years ago when we had a lot of kids in the class.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just a student, it's not my dojo. And I'm talking a couple of bucks for used thrift shop gear. I have no wholesale account, and no money to spend if I did. The dojo itself doesn't make any money, the instructors are all volunteers.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Contact Macho; with some documentation of the non-profit status (or even the existence of the dojo as a business), they may let you establish the account for the school. You can either serve as the conduit for the school, or help someone else do it. Ringside is also pretty good to deal with. I'm not suggesting spending your own money; just be the middleman so that folks can get the gear at a steep discount. You can even charge a little over cost, and funnel the money back into the dojo upkeep, and still have a deal for people.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Discovered the same. As a mom of an ex-TKD kid, I inherited gi from zero to 5. Add to that the occasional gi I find at 'the Salvo' that I've picked up over the years, throw in what my teachers have accumulated, and no new student need worry about a gi. :)

Now...if I could only find that thrift store where Napoleon found those sai.... ;)

Just an FYI, since I was thinking about it. I'm about to head out the door to the dojo, but tonight I've got a big bag of sparring gear with me that I intend to donate to the cause. Not saying look how great I am; but I have been noticing that as I make the rounds of various thrift stores and garage sales this summer, I always see the stuff. I had been ignoring it since it's mostly in kids sizes. But then I started thinking that we always need that kind of stuff for the kid's classes and often some of the kids can't afford it themselves, so I started picking it up - a dollar here and there, the stuff sells really cheap in thrift stores. I just make sure it's in serviceable condition and clean it all up very well with soap and water and disinfectant wipes before taking it in. So just a thought - if you see the stuff, even if it's not in your size, think about grabbing it! And if your dojo doesn't need any, maybe one up the road could use some. Just a thought. Now I'm off to get my head kicked in again...

Last edited:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could also contact Masterline - I have an account with them as an instructor, and the prices are considerably lower. I buy gear for my class (uniforms, belts, sparring gear, focus pads, etc.) through them, charge a minor markup for shipping, and use any profit (some students pay retail as part of a fundraiser for the class) to buy other things for the class.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That is a wonderful, wonderful idea!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what exactly it is but our insurance states that I can't even allow gear we don't carry, let alone provide gear for my students. I have a ton of old gear and I still have to require students to get their own AND it has to be from our school...

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could also contact Masterline - I have an account with them as an instructor, and the prices are considerably lower. I buy gear for my class (uniforms, belts, sparring gear, focus pads, etc.) through them, charge a minor markup for shipping, and use any profit (some students pay retail as part of a fundraiser for the class) to buy other things for the class.

As mentioned, It is not my school and I am not an instructor there. As to buying - my budget dictates a couple dollars a week or so, which I can manage at thrift shops. Not sure what is not clear about "I don't have any money." I'm sure it's a great idea for school owners and instructors who have some extra cash. In my dojo, we have students whose parents have no money to buy sparring gear at all - as in period, none. So 'charging a minor markup' isn't helping them. I appreciate the advice, and I'm sure it's good advice for someone in a different situation.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My students have contributed such things as: the “bob”, 2 kicking bags, bo's, sticks and uniforms to our school.
I think picking things up new or used to contribute to a school is a great way to support smaller schools.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As mentioned, It is not my school and I am not an instructor there. As to buying - my budget dictates a couple dollars a week or so, which I can manage at thrift shops. Not sure what is not clear about "I don't have any money." I'm sure it's a great idea for school owners and instructors who have some extra cash. In my dojo, we have students whose parents have no money to buy sparring gear at all - as in period, none. So 'charging a minor markup' isn't helping them. I appreciate the advice, and I'm sure it's good advice for someone in a different situation.

Honestly, I started my class with nothing - and yes, I understand that it's not your class. The "minor markup" is less than $5 per item, which mostly covers the shipping, and while the adults buy their own gear, most of the kids start in gear that other students have outgrown and donated back to the class. I have a box full of outgrown items - uniforms, pads, etc. - that are available to anyone in the class. The only things I won't let students pass down are mouthguards. I mentioned it because most items are about 1/3 the cost of retail purchased that way, even with the cost of shipping, and they didn't require any significant proof that I was really an instructor.

You are doing the best you can with what you have - that's all anyone can do, and more than most bother to do. I didn't mean in any way to imply that you weren't.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill, maybe I'm being unclear. I don't generally buy and stockpile stuff. I take orders a couple times a year; whether it's COD or money up front depends on several factors (seriousness of the student, my finances, their finances). I did make the choice several years ago to, as an instructor, purchase some "class sets" of gear.

Buying the used stuff when you come across it is a great idea, and generous on your part. I'm not trying to take away from that at all -- but to give you or your club another tool to save some money.