Help!!

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ok, I need some suggestions on how to get face/body paint (standard snazaroo stuff) outta my gi!
No questions about how it got there please.
redface.gif

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RheaHS said:
ok, I need some suggestions on how to get face/body paint (standard snazaroo stuff) outta my gi!
redface.gif
You won't even give us a hint? Are you trying to drive me even more insane?

Jeff

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RheaHS said:
redface.gif
You do realize that we have smileys of our own here, and you don't need to cut & paste them from another forum, right?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seriously though, I'd start with a lot of soaking in cold water.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First question: What is the Gi made of?
If it's cotton, you can try "goo be gone" if it's available in your area, also nail polish remover.
If it has any synthetics in the fabric, don't use nail polish remover...you'll melt your gi.

cold water washing, no warm/hot, air not machine dry as heat will set the stain.

Elayna

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is what we would always do if we got anything on our Gi's as kids. Whether is was food, paint, or anything really.

Its kinda harsh, so you know. And we had white Gi's.

My mom first soaked it in WARM water. And then put it in the washing maching with bleach. Got everything right out.
Now if you have a black Gi then I would suggest the bleach that works with colors.
Also, a Shout type product might work.
Our Gi's were really thick though so, you know I guess if yours isnt the above might not be a good idea. But for our thick Gi's it worked really well.

I do my laundry in harsh ways. LOL. All i care about is getting it out. :D

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
RheaHS said:
redface.gif

You cannot ask a question and then leave something open ended like that. I am not the guy to ask due to the fact I am the person who washes colors with whites. Drives my wife crazy!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

OP
RheaHS

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it's a white canvas style one, oops about the smiley, it's location was saved on my computer.
Shout is what I'm now using, in combination with a nail brush and soap.

It got on there when we went dragon boat racing, and we decided to paint our faces and arms black and red. I didn't agree to it by the way, I had to be held down to have it done. Now we're left with wrecked dogis and mine is the only one the paint isn't coming out of.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
First question: What is the Gi made of?
If it's cotton, you can try "goo be gone" if it's available in your area, also nail polish remover.
If it has any synthetics in the fabric, don't use nail polish remover...you'll melt your gi.

Acetone, the main solvent in nail polish remover, will eat up most synthetics. In fact, polyester, one of the most commonly used fibers in gi's that have synthetic blends, is very easily, and quickly attacked by acetone.

Bob's suggestion of Goo Gone works fine with 100% cotton gi's, but be VERY careful to make sure that there are no traces of the solvent left in the gi. If you happen to stick it into the dryer, you could be looking at a possible combustion hazard.

If you don't want to take a chance with organic solvents, the try the following:

Dawn dish detergent and salt applied to the stain, brush lightly in circles with an old toothbrush. Follow this up with a paste made out of some Oxyclean or whatever sodium carbonate-based, color-safe bleach can be used.

If anything, buy ordinary washing soda (again, it's sodium carbonate), and dump about a half cup into your wash load.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Alternatively, you could take your gi to the professional cleaner and explain what got on the gi. The cleaner should be able to see whether it is removable and to do it well. The nice thing is that your dogi usually ends up looking really great!

- Ceicei

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
alright. i'll say it -

Buy a new one! ;)

Actually, sometimes that's the best choice, especially if it's a student-grade uniform.

However, there's definitely less incentive to buy a new one when we're talking about, say, a 200 dollar Shureido gi that took you months to break in until it was just right, versus a 20 dollar student gi.

One is relatively expendable, the other is more likely to only be thrown away when pried from one's cold, dead fingers!

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How true. :)

I still have my origional heavy duty set that I don't even fit in right now - just can't give it up.

OP
RheaHS

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
actually, it's a very nice heavyweight, my absolute favorite.
Slight problem though, all our gi's are club ones, and go through with an order from my instructor. He's away on holiday for two weeks, and at the end of that is my grading!
It's also my only gi.

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
try scrubbing it with make-up remover and it should go away (eye makeup remover is better because its made to be mroe delicate) and just try soaking it in water and scrubb at it. It will eventually come out. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another suggestion:
Find a local Amway dealer, get some prewash from them.
I ran out of mine last week, and am trying to find someone to get it from. Was great stuff, had a few cases of it from when I was a dealer a few years back.

OP
RheaHS

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What's Amway? I'm in the UK but haven't got round to doing my profile yet...

Sterre, that is a great idea, I've been trying what I use to remove makeup, and alternately using that with shout, soap and a nail brush, it's working really well.

Thankyou everybody.

Latest Discussions