Hello to everyone

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Im new to the forum, I live in Italy and practice Wing Tchun Do, I thought I would write to this forum so I can keep my english speaking and writing skills in shape and every now and then post a few topics and vids. all the best. Im off to bed now so Im not sure what time it is in your part of the world. catch ya later

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
I've seen a lot of your videos on you tube. I particularly like the old footage of Emin and the ones of you training with Leung Ting.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, my friend.

OP
fighterman

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well it's good to speak english again, so do you guys argue heaps about which wing chun is better like we do in Italy? man it's really heavy over here

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey Fighterman, it's great to have another WT "refugee" aboard. There are several guys on this forum who've come from a WT background, either from the EWTO, EBMAS or are, like myself, former students of LT. Anyway, I've long been a fan of your clips on youtube, both for the realism and practicality of your take on WT, and also for your sense of humor. Back when you came out with that take-off on the whole "Wing Revolution" thing, imitating Victor and Sergio, I almost died laughing. As for your English, it's very good. I thought it was your native tongue. I asked a friend about you (a guy who had studied WT in Europe with KK, as well as here with LT) and he said he thought he'd heard that your name was Paul (?) and that you had once lived in Austrailia or something. How about a little background info?

Oh, and for the rest of you guys, check out Fighterman's stuff on Youtube. Here's a sample:

Last edited by a moderator:

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
well it's good to speak english again, so do you guys argue heaps about which wing chun is better like we do in Italy? man it's really heavy over here

As with others, welcome to the forum. You will noticed by searching through past posts, there not much about who's lineage is superior. On occasion we do like to play with the "Mr. know it all".

HEAVY is a term we used back in the old hippie days ...and yes it can denote "a lot of sh$t man", with lots of internet sparing.:slapfight:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yeah, people here argue a lot. It seems like the more similar your background, the worse it gets. My old Si-Hing stuck with LT when I began training with a few "rebels" some years back. Now he won't even talk to me... and we knew each other since 1979! I don't get it. I've got friends in a lot of different groups... and that makes some people mad. Fortunately, the group that hangs out here on Martialtalk is more open minded.

OP
fighterman

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
oh ok cool, yeah to answer a few questions, I was born in 65 and my brother and sister are from the 50's so i got really well versed in hippy talk, I didnt know it died out. I started wing in 1973 (I was 8 years old) and yep in Australia, in the Tsui Shun Tin lineage, with Jim Fung and other good instructors like grahem Kerschner. I havent stopped and Ive been training constantly since the 80s, up until then I was training sporadically. I teach, have 2 schools (unfortunately i dont make heaps of Dough) and I bounce several nights a week. Ive been in Italy for about 10 years and I really miss speaking english. So for some reason it never occured to me that via internet I can connest with anybody in the world. so here i am. I have a pretty broad curriculum in training with other styles but ill probably get into that another time. I have developed another system which is called Wing Tchun Do. SDome people think ive imitated Jeet Kune Do but they are two very different realities.
I guess in the future I wouldnt mind having some people checking out some vids and Id be happy to produce them in english. as far as my vids are concerned I usually like to poke fun at egocentric charachters, or abusive thers that abuse their students on film to make themsleves look good. Im fortunate enough to have a few mma and grappling champions next door to me that keeps me in tune with differing realities so it works out being a lot of fun. Yep with Leung Ting i was his private student for a notable period but we had a fall out and Im not one to get involved with political issues or lineage superiority or authenticity.
ok catcha soon

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

OK, I've got a few questions about different approaches to Wing Chun that you'd be especially qualified to answer since you've trained in a couple of lineages and have worked with a lot of well known people. For openers, what's the main difference in approach between your Wing Tchun Do and the WT of the EWTO, and also the way LT's guys in Hong Kong train?

WTchap

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Fighterman/Hi all,

I am also new to the forum, but a WT student (recently started). I'm from the UK, but live in Budapest, Hungary now. So I study WT under Maday Norbert's leg of the WT organization. Before that, I trained some Xingyi and before that (when in England) I trained Wing Chun with Kevin Chan's Kamon organization (for a few years).

I too would love to hear about Fighterman's time learning in HK, and his experiences in WT in Europe.

Anyways, that's my short little intro. :)

OP
fighterman

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wel Ill answer in part because Ive gotta run off. firstly their is a big difference in the way they train in china compared to europe. but i cab cover that in more detail next time i login. wing tchun do is formulated by an indepth research on the nucleaus of chisao. chisao althought divided into many programs gives a (in my opinion) a false sense of security, what do i mean? more sections you do moree problems you're going to cover on the street... to me this is all ******** (is ******** allowed? or if not I'll refrain in future) chisao for me is a study of body mecchanics and i mean studying the nature of the bodies muscular and vertebraic movement from head to foot. the body works the same for everybody and the mecchanics to create power is the same for everyone. the only thing that changes is the body positions or stances, one may say to me that the wing chun punch predominantly comes from elbow force but are we sure? theres a whole lot of information missing here. people say that chisao is a spontaneous rection but are we sure? prove it to me. people say that chisao creates involuntary and passive reflexes, again, are we sure? I still have to see a person in a real real fight prove it to me.
now dont get me wrong it is possible but one needs to really understand what passive active actions mean and what or if they are different one to the other.
what is wing tchun do? I can prove without a doubt that I can nuse wing chun and chisao principles form any stance any angle any fighting stance and almost (almost) any style. that is my research and I am having great results. I can teach this to beginners and next month I am teaching wing tchun do concepts to a couple of mma fighters. I will say that I have a weakness, and that is ground fighting. i have a good friend who helps me out and I have developed much work to avoid going to the ground. we have a game contest format in which we do chi sao pushing hands and it proves to be a great stabilizer for the work we do. well thats about it in brief. catch ya later

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. So much of WT is a study in biomechanics. The forms, the footwork, the punching, the chi sau.

The beauty of the chi sau sections to me is they get you out of your comfort zone, and you are forced to learn how to deliver power and dissolve power from positions you may not have been placed in left, to your own devices.
Without the sections to serve as a template, I know I for one, would tend to stay with my tried and true "techniques".

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi WTchap from a fellow WT'er in USA....look forward to reading your posts.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
wel Ill answer in part because Ive gotta run off. firstly their is a big difference in the way they train in china compared to europe. but i cab cover that in more detail next time i login. wing tchun do is formulated by an indepth research on the nucleaus of chisao. chisao althought divided into many programs gives a (in my opinion) a false sense of security, what do i mean? more sections you do moree problems you're going to cover on the street... to me this is all ******** (is ******** allowed? or if not I'll refrain in future) chisao for me is a study of body mecchanics and i mean studying the nature of the bodies muscular and vertebraic movement from head to foot.

Apparently the word you used was not allowed! Suitable substitutes might include bull-pucky, bovine excrement, manure or even "fertilizer". Whatever, I get your point. My problem is that I can never keep straight so many sections or "programs" of chi-sau in my head.... too much memorization. Maybe it would be different if I had a dozen high level training partners and nothing else to do but practice all day. But as it is, I'd rather approach chi-sau as "learning a way to move" that I can apply freely, even under pressure. I think that's what you are getting at when you talk about body mechanics?

OP
fighterman

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Apparently the word you used was not allowed! Suitable substitutes might include bull-pucky, bovine excrement, manure or even "fertilizer". Whatever, I get your point. My problem is that I can never keep straight so many sections or "programs" of chi-sau in my head.... too much memorization. Maybe it would be different if I had a dozen high level training partners and nothing else to do but practice all day. But as it is, I'd rather approach chi-sau as "learning a way to move" that I can apply freely, even under pressure. I think that's what you are getting at when you talk about body mechanics?

well firstly thanks for the welcome from the other members.
to answer you I'll put it to you in a simpler term. Im fundamentally and radically traditional in my approach for me the traditional warriors approach is the fastest way to learn wing tsun. now I respect everyone opinion coz theres always something to learn. but if you look at wing chun or tsun in a simple way your life gets easier, I know all the sections off by heart but years back I let them all go and took up body mecchanics, as I said I studied some internal systems and also some other people experts in the field and I managed to put certain work patterns in my body. ok what am i ramblin on about? fighting, chisao and the indepth look at body mecchanics have to absolutely reflect the same course of study, even all the forms (siu nim tao, etc etc) are all the same for me conceptually and are a method to improve my combat, therefore chisao is for combat, understanding body mecchanics is for combat and everything you do has to reflect each other or else you are wasting time. even combat fighting principles, power principles have to truly reflect what you are doing physically or else nothing amalgamates and you are left with confusion.
so ask yourself as I did a long time ago, when I attack and I mean really attack, think of the power and agression and dynamic tension you use when you want to put somebody down... now be honest with yourself, if someone contrasts you can you 'chisao' him at the moment of impact? when he collides with your force, and Im talking about one angry m...... that really wants to hurt you?
now if your answer was no you cant reproduce the miraculous chisao then you are going to find that all the sections in the world is never going to help you. i look at body mecchanics first then chisao sections after...my attack has to follow every principle in very few moves in my attack i have to harness all the nucleus that represents wing tsun to make it effective.
hmmmm hope I wasnt confusing

Latest Discussions