Hello~ from LA

rogersouthbay

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Forum,

Glad to be a part of Martial arts lovers community here.
I just started Wing Chun training a month ago, and joined this forum to broaden my understanding of the art.

OH.. by the way, my school salutes with left-hand fist, right-hand palm. But, I notice there are many other Wing Chun stylists who do it the other way. I am just curious if there is any specific meaning behind which hand fist and palm. I didn't ask my teacher as it may offend him in some way?! i don't know. Anyways, Can anyone give a clear answer to this?

thanks,
Roger

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk and happy posting.

I've always done/seen right fist left palm... maybe your instructor is ambidextrous or a south paw.
But one thing is for certain you should NEVER be ashamed or afraid to ask your MA instructor anything (related to the art) that you're not clear upon. If he/she takes offense to it... then find another school. Instructors are there to instruct not intimidate.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will find a lot of information here at MT, enjoy.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've always done/seen right fist left palm... maybe your instructor is ambidextrous or a south paw.
But one thing is for certain you should NEVER be ashamed or afraid to ask your MA instructor anything (related to the art) that you're not clear upon. If he/she takes offense to it... then find another school. Instructors are there to instruct not intimidate.

Welcome to MT, and +1 on MA-Caver's post.

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score

Welcome!
Another one for that post. Im one of those in my class to ask the most oddest random martial art questions in class.

OP
R

rogersouthbay

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all your kind welcome.:)
Yes, I have a class tonight and will ask why left hand fist, not right.

Thanks again, and Have a Great Independence Day weekends!!

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

I totally agree.

James