Hello everybody.

Fushichou

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been practicing martial arts for about twenty years. Unfortunately that isn't as impressive as it sounds, as it's been on and off and in a variety of schools and systems.

When I was young, my family moved around quite a bit, and I was interested in martial arts, and I studied at a few different schools, mostly generic Tae Kwon Do and Karate schools that I don't even recall the exact system/school, and some time with Shaolin-Do back when they called themselves Karate instead of Kung Fu.

When I grew up I went to college my interest in the martial arts continued. I majored in History and took every class in Asian history and culture available at my university and took a few semesters of Japanese language for my language requirement. I looked around the martial arts clubs on campus and studied with a few of them. I spent a few months with a Kendo club before the instructor graduated at the end of the semester, I also practiced with the Judo club for a while, I also spent a couple of years with a Kempo club as well, and took Tai Chi classes that were offered at a local bookstore for a couple of years (before the instructor quit teaching).

At the end of all this I have kyu ranks (or no rank but non-negligible experience) in a lot of different arts. I know I'm no expert, but I'm not a total novice, and now I'm out of college and looking for a good instructor. I want to stay away from the McDojo chains (I know all the warning signs, and sadly too many schools trip way too many of them), and I want a good well-rounded martial art that is self-defense oriented and not tournament oriented, preferably one with a large number of instructors so if I have to move again I can keep learning easily.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! :)

Mike

Latest Discussions