Wall bag punching

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How many of you guys here uses the wall bag for training?. I personally trains alot using it. It modifies your controlling ability to deliver the full power to the bag. Normally most punches are stiff and power is dissipated from the punch as it is moving towards the opponent. Wing Chun as we know tries to deliver the maximum amount of power, and the bag is a very good helper for this.

Now the bag with three sections can go for kicks. Bridging gap kicks are practised by kicking the lower part of the 3 sectioned bag. Almost similar to the Wooden Dummy, the bag is a good start for strengthening your lower knuckles that are the power of Wing Chun punches. The best chain punching excersice for a bag is the 12 program set. This program goes by puching 12 punches, now this is set 1. Set 2 is punching 24 punches. Set 3 is 36, and then it's the 12time table. after 36 is 48,60,72,84,96,108,120,132,144. The total must be 936 punches. I know that this is easy for advanced trainers, but still practising it is a very good thing to do along with the Wooden Dummy, because it gives the feeling of puching a real flesh of meat. Just try it:) .

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used the 3 section bag for years when i practiced wing chun, it has left me in goodsted, with all my punching since then.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
I used the 3 section bag for years when i practiced wing chun, it has left me in goodsted, with all my punching since then.

Never got your hand bleeding after exercise. I used to have my lower knuckles bleeding at the begining, but afterwards you feel that your skin adapted to the hitting process.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Never got your hand bleeding after exercise. I used to have my lower knuckles bleeding at the begining, but afterwards you feel that your skin adapted to the hitting process.

Oh Yeh.........usually from slight skidding, or re opening old wounds.........skin even now doesnt react........i hit med and heavy bags with no wraps or gloves, No problem:ultracool

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
Oh Yeh.........usually from slight skidding, or re opening old wounds.........skin even now doesnt react........i hit med and heavy bags with no wraps or gloves, No problem:ultracool

With no gloves. Sure that's how I train too:) . In this way, you feel more adapted to direct you knuckles into opponents and "BOOOM". So have you ever tried the effect of your punches in sparring?.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
With no gloves. Sure that's how I train too:) . In this way, you feel more adapted to direct you knuckles into opponents and "BOOOM". So have you ever tried the effect of your punches in sparring?.

Only by accident :) in sparring. Once in a real situation, no knuckle damage. In a couple of demonstrations hitting a pad held against an opponents chest...........all had similar results:)

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah wall bag training is good, what does everyone have filling their wall bags?

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
Are there any advantages to using a wall bag instead of a heavy hanging bag?

Sure. The Wall Bag is a good indicator to feel power delivered to the wall. I mean hanging bag can be trained after the Wall one. After you really master fast chain punches, you can try it on heavy bags. Wall Bag also trains for the 1 inch punch attack, that is not but the same as what Bruce Lee used it in the Long Beach tournament against the Karate and Jujitsu trainers that were participating at that time (a Wing Chun punching idea).

Regarding Ed question. I filled my bag with dry corn. Dry corn never breaks as it has the effects of tiny stones. It really makes a nice sound when hitting them:ultracool .

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Sure. The Wall Bag is a good indicator to feel power delivered to the wall. I mean hanging bag can be trained after the Wall one. After you really master fast chain punches, you can try it on heavy bags. Wall Bag also trains for the 1 inch punch attack, that is not but the same as what Bruce Lee used it in the Long Beach tournament against the Karate and Jujitsu trainers that were participating at that time (a Wing Chun punching idea).

Regarding Ed question. I filled my bag with dry corn. Dry corn never breaks as it has the effects of tiny stones. It really makes a nice sound when hitting them:ultracool .

I'm confused as to how you can't feel power delivered to a heavy bag, or chain punch it.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Selfcritical said:
I'm confused as to how you can't feel power delivered to a heavy bag, or chain punch it.

Taking the fact that Wall bag is attached to the wall. Punching it will give you a pushing reaction that you might be forced back. If you deliver the power in the correct way, you should not feel that resistence power. The heavy bag is loose and it can move in multi-direction neglecting the resistence effect applied against you, above that all comes the One Inch Punch that needs you to have knee tensions to apply the attack. The Wall bag can tell you how much proper amount of tension you need to burst the punch, in the heavy bag, how much mistake you apply you will not recognize it, becase the bag is going to move at the slightest punch. Training in roundhouse punches and uppercuts is different, although it can be applied in the Wall Bag, I recomend it on the heavy bag because uppercauts can tear the wall Bag case, especially if your uppercuts moves it and it is stretched.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
The heavy bag is loose and it can move in multi-direction neglecting the resistence effect applied against you, above that all comes the One Inch Punch that needs you to have knee tensions to apply the attack. The Wall bag can tell you how much proper amount of tension you need to burst the punch, in the heavy bag, how much mistake you apply you will not recognize it, becase the bag is going to move at the slightest punch.

True. But I think that's one of the strengths of using a heavy bag; it gives it a realistic feel and allows you to work on your timing.
Thanks for the info.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
True. But I think that's one of the strengths of using a heavy bag; it gives it a realistic feel and allows you to work on your timing.
Thanks for the info.

You said strength. In Wing chun, speed is favoured. It is said that multiple chain punches are much more effective than a single srong rounhouse punch. By time you practise straight punching. You will be able to produce a destructive force from a very short distance, Tha't again one of the wall bag advantages. Now The One Inch Punch needs just a short finger distance to be done. Tests have been made and proved that a JKD or Wing Chun vertical punch is much more powerful than the horizantal punch of other style. The vertical punch delivers the power of the elbow extension that if applied properly with the body movement, it could transfer the maximum energy power to the opponent. While the horizantal punch is a breakthrough punch that holds alot power exerted on your bones. Which may cause problems in the long run. It is strong, but it's impact only exerts on the surface it hits, not transferring any energy through the opponent structure.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
You said strength. In Wing chun, speed is favoured. It is said that multiple chain punches are much more effective than a single srong rounhouse punch. By time you practise straight punching. You will be able to produce a destructive force from a very short distance, Tha't again one of the wall bag advantages. Now The One Inch Punch needs just a short finger distance to be done. Tests have been made and proved that a JKD or Wing Chun vertical punch is much more powerful than the horizantal punch of other style. The vertical punch delivers the power of the elbow extension that if applied properly with the body movement, it could transfer the maximum energy power to the opponent. While the horizantal punch is a breakthrough punch that holds alot power exerted on your bones. Which may cause problems in the long run. It is strong, but it's impact only exerts on the surface it hits, not transferring any energy through the opponent structure.

Yeah but he meant strength as in the advantage of using a bag, not the training of strength. What he really said was "timing" was a good reason to train the heavy bag.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
Yeah but he meant strength as in the advantage of using a bag, not the training of strength. What he really said was "timing" was a good reason to train the heavy bag.

Timing. Yes sure, it's obvious,

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
So do you use the heavy bag at all?

Not at the time being. I am still trying to find a place to hang it at my home, it's heaviness gives me no choice but to hang it at the garage. I really have to get one ASAP.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
You said strength. In Wing chun, speed is favoured.

Right. As has been already been mentioned, you misunderstood what I was saying. When I said 'one of the strengths of using a heavy bag' I meant one of the advantages of using a heavy bag is it gives it a realistic feel and allows you to work on your timing.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
Right. As has been already been mentioned, you misunderstood what I was saying. When I said 'one of the strengths of using a heavy bag' I meant one of the advantages of using a heavy bag is it gives it a realistic feel and allows you to work on your timing.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sure the heavy bag is important, check this.
http://www.ewtosanmarino.com/WT_FILE/video/Mov00038.mpg (Save Target As)

Latest Discussions