Heavy bag training

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Just make sure to remember to wear the proper hand wraps so your don't screw up your wrists. A little off center hit can mess your wrists up pretty bad.

Are you "capping" your fists? This will help prevent injury to the wrist. If you're not familiar with the technique, just make a fist and then move your thumb so that it is pressing down on top of your pointer finger.

There are several advantages. By placing your thumb in this manner you utilize the muscles on top of your forearm that were previously not being used. These muscles help add support to your wrist so that it is less likely to "give" upon impacting a target. Try this test: Make a "normal" fist. Press it against the wall so that your wrist is bent. Notice the angle. Now "cap" your fist and repeat. Notice the angle is not nearly as extreme.

Just a friendly suggestion. =) Hope it helps!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say get a vinyl bag & hand wraps & gloves. I'd also recommend wearing shoes (even MA shoes) instead of going bare foot.

I have a Century XXL bag & it works just fine in the back yard. I fill it w/ water so I can drain it when it gets cold.

Best wishes on your new home gym!

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being as your intent in buying this is improved overall fitness. After you get done smacking the crap out of it pick it up and carry it around for a while...on your shoulders, in a bear hug, whatever. Very common in strongman and many times contested.

Will build endurance like no other.

OP
R

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. I considered buying shoes, and will probably do so now. I'll watch out about "riding" the bag as well, hadn't thought of it, so i am grateful that you mentioned it. Gonna try out that capping technique too.

About carrying it around, i don't know, that may be a bit much for me, at least to start with, but i'm gonna give it a try.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge :)

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want a good way to secure your bag so it can be easily put up and taken down, this is my input. Buy a mountain climbing hook (caribiner- did I spell that right?) and attach it to the top of the heavy bags chains where they come together. Then just adjust your rope or chain to hang where you will have the height you want. Remember, If you hang your bag from a high anchor, it will run after you hit it hard because it is suspended from a longer rope or chain it will have a greater diameter of swing. This will help with cardio/endurance by making you chase it. If you hang it from a low anchor, it will not run as much or as far, so it will stand it's ground so to speak. Also if you are interested, I know a way to lift the heavy bag so you will be less likely to hurt your back if forced to lift and hang it by yourself. May be confusing to list here, but if you want I will try. Learned it from my old ameteur boxing coach, "You want to hit my bags, you put it up & take it down yourself, I ain't your mama" HAHAHA. I get long winded sometimes when I express my opinion. PEACE

OP
R

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Heya,

thanks for the idea and advice. I was thinking about something like that actually. I would love to hear your advice on how to lift the bag, since it seems like i'm going to be doing that quite a lot ;)

OP
R

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Well i'll be damned. Just got an e-mail from Everlast, telling me that the shippping cost is NOT what they estimated when i ordered my bag, but instead went from 50 USD up to 260 USD. This means i won't be able to afford it. So right now i am looking for a more local supplier, e.g. one resident in Denmark, the country i live in. I have been looking for some time now, and have also spoken with a local sport shop where i was told that they do not order Everlast because they have a contract with some other company. Problem is that i live on a not-so-big island, and there are not many sport shops here. And the guy at the shop i visited told me that none of these shops order from Everlast. I haven't had much luck on the Internet either, i've found some danish sites selling heavy bags, but only quite few that sell Everlast. And none that sell the outdoor/indoor bag i wanted. Sorry for all the whining, but i wanted to ask if there perhaps is a fellow citizen of Denmark around here, who could give me a hint as where to buy a decent heavy bag, be it via Internet, Phone or whatever. I really want that bag :|

OP
R

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey there, thanks for the reply. Yeah, i was looking at that site earlier, but it doesn't list the outdoor/indoor bag either. So right now i am considering just buying a normal bag and taking it in whenever the sun doesn't shine. Thanks again for actually putting effort into finding a danish site, i can imagine it's not easy when you don't speak the language (even though that particular site might be in english) ;)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Garage/sundays sales are good places to look if you have the time. Over the years I have found several at good prices including alot of other martial art equipments.

Buying from a local store will save you the shipping cost. Try Wal-marts they carry time to time.

Your local papers for ads sales....

An army surplus store look for a duffel bag...stuff with old clothes/and foam bed tops, will work too.

E-bay? ....some places sell the bags empty/or the ones you fill with water/sand and you stuff them..shipping cost...very small here.....search around....

I even found a vinyl wrap for the canvas bags...was hard to put on..but it work well.....Aloha

OP
R

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, cool, hadn't found that supplier yet, thanks for the link.

About your suggestion, still learning, well.. i live on a rather small island, and they don't really have most of that stuff here. Not a lot of other martial artists either, or at least none who are willing to part with their equipment, hehe. I considered ebay, but i don't know, i just don't like ebay. We will see, as a last resort i might do it. I checked all the local stores btw, none carry everlast heavy bags unfortuneately :|
Thanks for your suggestions and help though.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
ryen said:
Hey, cool, hadn't found that supplier yet, thanks for the link.

About your suggestion, still learning, well.. i live on a rather small island, and they don't really have most of that stuff here. Not a lot of other martial artists either, or at least none who are willing to part with their equipment, hehe. I considered ebay, but i don't know, i just don't like ebay. We will see, as a last resort i might do it. I checked all the local stores btw, none carry everlast heavy bags unfortuneately :|
Thanks for your suggestions and help though.

Hello, Maybe you can make your own, any old jeans,stuff them (maybe with sand) and hang it up...the whole idea is to get your arms and legs something to hit.

Makiwara boards works too! I once rap rope around a post and planted it...the rope does hurt more..but you can rap some rags or material like vinyl around them.

Don't need to be fancy here..just creative, let your imagination go...Best of luck to you....Aloha

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you seen people who use car tires? They cut them up and put them on a post or wall? Prefer "radials' , not trying to be bias here?

..Also carpets bundle up on post? ...Aloha

OP
R

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Heya,

well, the problem is not that i lack a bag per se, more that i can't find an outdoor bag in a local shop. I'm probably just gonna order a "normal" Everlast bag. Thanks for the tips though!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, "You are Welcome" Is there such as thing as an "outdoor" training bags? ....I have not look at a catalog for years..."Um" gotta take a look next time.

An all weather training bag? UM? sounds like a good idea! Never know who you will be fighting? ..maybe an outdoors person in the weather too!

....good to prepare....Aloha

Latest Discussions