Heavy bag training

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i'm trying to improve my endurance and general fitness, and thought about buying a heavy bag to train on. The only question for me right now is: which one? Can anyone recommend one, based on the following bits of information about me and my training: I'am doing TKD, and am thus looking for a bag on which i can train kicks and punches. It shouldn't be too heavy, about 50-70 lbs would be fine. It should be able to endure outdoor weather, since i've got absolutely no room indoor. I am pretty flexible about the price, but i guess my max. so far is 250 USD. I would really appreciate any help, hints and general insight on this :)

Thanks in advance,
ryen

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All I can say is I have had the same everlast for 20 years. That either means I didn't use it much or it is a pretty good bag.

I will also add it is pretty beat up, most of the outer covering is gone and I have in the last few years had to bend the d-hooks back in place a few times to keep the bag hanging from the chains. But it has never been outdoors.

I prefer the hang from the ceiling type to the sit on the floor type, but that is a personal preference.

I am considering replacing the bag soon, I think after 20 years I go my moneys worth out of it.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Everlast, they make great bags, and so does Ringside. They make several size bags, so look into the size and weight you want. I am not sure about any heavy bags that can really stand outdoor conditions 24/7. I was always taught to bring your bag down and under cover if it is used outside, in case of foul weather. If you invest in a leather bag, (one of my favorites) it won't leave abrasions on bare fists and feet, but they must be maintanenced weekly by wiping it clean. Some training camps in Thailand leave their bags up outdoors most of the time even in rainy weather, look into what camps like this prefer. I'm sure others on this forum will give their insights. NOTE: Canvas bags left outside can absorb moisture (even from just morning dew) and can grow mold and ruin it, I lost a good set of leather Thai Pads due to my negligence that way. Best of luck

OP
R

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your replies, i appreciate it. Well, i wasn't really planning on letting the bag stay outside all year, just most of the time, e.g. spring/summer/fall. Also i could take it in if the weather gets too bad. Cleaning the bag is OK, i guess that's the price to pay for quality. A little cleaning is not gonna kill me anyway, hehe. I will heed your advice about Canvas bags, thanks for that.

And - 20 years? Da-yamn. That's really all i can say about that. Seems like Everlast is not just a name.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before I bought an Everlast bag, I just filled an old canvas dufflebag with sand. If you need to go on the cheap, it's great.

Jeff

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The next question should be? ....Canvas or Vinyl

Well guys..which one would you choose? Canvas? ..or Vinyl?

.....Aloha

OP
R

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link jeffj. Fairtex looks neat too, but kinda expensive, heh.

About the canvas or vinyl thing: i think i will go with vinyl, because jimi warned me about canvas absorbing moisture and going moldy.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing I liked about the canvas over the vinyl (haven't owned a canvas bag in years) is how it calloused up your knuckles. Almost like having a makiwara.

Jeff

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, So far base on the above comments: One for canvas, One for vinyl

ta! da! will this be the tie breaker? I choose ? ... this one because you do not need gloves and get really bad skin burns if you do not use gloves or shoes?

V I N Y L ..!!!

next question? size and colors..."well" guys help us out here? ..Aloha

OP
R

ryen

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, i bought the indoor/outdoor bag from Everlast (vinyl). I figured it's good enough for me, at least so far. Thanks for your help guys, it's nice to have a forum like this where you can get some advice :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
ryen said:
Well, i bought the indoor/outdoor bag from Everlast (vinyl). I figured it's good enough for me, at least so far. Thanks for your help guys, it's nice to have a forum like this where you can get some advice :)

Hello, Good choice..should last a long time....enjoy the workouts...Aloha

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just make sure to remember to wear the proper hand wraps so your don't screw up your wrists. A little off center hit can mess your wrists up pretty bad.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
One more thing. Make sure when your punching that you dont let your hands "ride" the bag. Like make sure to pull them back, nothing like a sand bag thats 75 pounds coming back on your wrist, elbow and shoulder to mess you up good after a while. Especially if you are using a longer than normal chain.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it's going to be outside, rig it so you can take it down when you are done and store it inside. If it lives outside, once the weather turns bad it probably won't last very long. the shell and the stuffing can rot, depending on what it is made of.