Aikido in MMA

C

chaosomega

I've brought up something like this before... However this time it's different.

I want to be a pro mixed martial artist. I'm also interested in aikido, something you never see in MMA. I asked my self, why?

Because it's not designed for competition, or against someone with equal or better skill. With this in mind... I choose to learn what I can about aikido, and modify it for competition use. Just like the creator of judo modified jujutsu, and just like the Gracies' modified judo into BJJ. Aikido itself was modified from aikijutsu by O Sensei.

Who thinks it could work? Who thinks I'm a blasphemer? Who things I'm just plain bonkers? Let me know!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the footwork might help you a little.

Mike

kilo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tomiki Aikido has competition in it so it might have some of what your looking for.

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

you may also like to check out shodokan (the competitive mixture of shotokan and aikido)

OP
T

tmanifold

I have used the wrist locks with decent success on the ground. Hit some one with a nikyo from the guard or use kote geashi as part of a sweep. I wouldn't say that aikido would be all that effective for mma but certain parts of it could be used.

Hey your from Vancouver, who do you train with over there?

Tony

OP
K

Kempo Guy

you may also like to check out shodokan (the competitive mixture of shotokan and aikido)

Uhhh, Shodokan is Tomiki Aikido, i.e. it is the parent organization for Tomiki Aikido out of Japan. Tomiki Sensei was an exponent of both Judo and Aikido.

KG

OP
C

chaosomega

Originally posted by tmanifold
Hey your from Vancouver, who do you train with over there?

Tony

At the moment I'm trainerless. I used to train with one Max Marin in Calgary, and as soon as I get the money I will be training at Studio West with Chris Franco. Plus I'll be joining an MMA club at the SFU, or UBC... Whichever is closer. I can't remember.

Latest Discussions