to switch schools or not??? (again)

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Everyone who hasn't had to take time out for injuries, raise your hand (or your crutch)?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
cfr said:
:(

This blows. I just started training again this week after about a month layoff for an injury. Testing will take place at my school in a couple of weeks that I wont be a part of because of my time off. Had it not been for this, Im pretty sure I would have been able to test. Since tests only occur once every two months, Ive got that much longer from now until I can spar at my school. Probably a solid year and a half from now. I was already having a tough time with this decision and now this. Not too encouraging. What a drag. I was also thinking about just leveling with my instructor and letting him know how I feel (that its lame to wait to spar for this long) but I really dont want to be offensive or disrespectful. Any thouhts on this idea? Im really in a tailspin about this so ideas are welcome.

First off, I got your PM. Thanks for the reply! I know the Inosanto school seems like a drive, but if you can make it, I'm sure it would be worth it. As for the injury...dont feel bad dude. Last year, I was grappling and injured my left knee. I could hardly walk and was moving like I was an old man. It definately sucked but as time went on, and it started to heal, I was able to start training again. Maybe you could get together outside of the school with a few people and do some sparring. I still dont understand why he makes the students wait so long to spar.

Mike

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually, Sean, I think it is related. I'm trying to be sympathetic to cfr's dilemma--wanting to continue in his current school and his frustration at not being able to spar. But no matter what we say, he really seems to want to quit, and it's almost as if he is searching for SOMEONE to agree with him. Now he's citing his injury, which is delaying his rank test by a mere few months, as additional supporting criterion.

When I asked who of us hasn't been injured, what I'm trying to say is, "Yes, it happens to all of us, it's part of the training, those of us with more experience have experienced it multiple times, but going elsewhere will not change this." The same thing is going to happen at any other dojo. ESPECIALLY if you start sparring prematurely.

Impatience, and lack of future vision do not serve the martial artist well. Others may disagree.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Actually, Sean, I think it is related. I'm trying to be sympathetic to cfr's dilemma--wanting to continue in his current school and his frustration at not being able to spar. But no matter what we say, he really seems to want to quit, and it's almost as if he is searching for SOMEONE to agree with him. Now he's citing his injury, which is delaying his rank test by a mere few months, as additional supporting criterion.

When I asked who of us hasn't been injured, what I'm trying to say is, "Yes, it happens to all of us, it's part of the training, those of us with more experience have experienced it multiple times, but going elsewhere will not change this." The same thing is going to happen at any other dojo. ESPECIALLY if you start sparring prematurely.

Impatience, and lack of future vision do not serve the martial artist well. Others may disagree.
I didn't mean to sound abrupt, I was just trying to figure out why delayed promotion was such a bid deal. In short, I think its a red herring. You are right however, he is definantly searching for a justification to quit.
Sean

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ive got plenty of justification to quit. Rehearsing scripted motions is getting boring and Im really wondering if it doesnt lead to a false sense of security. Im wondering how Ill react when someone throws a punch that Im not waiting for. I really dont want to totally freeze up because I will be like a fish out of water. Am I totally in left field for thinking this? Really I was hoping for a justification to stay.

D

Disco

The reasons I train are for SD and for fun. Quote from cfr's first post.

This has been debated before, somewhere on here (MT), but I'll reference the subject again, as it directly relates. What does sparring have to do with self defense? If sparring is what you really want to do, go find a TKD school that focus's on Olympic style TKD. You'll get all the sparring you can handle. Or am I misinterpreting what you mean by sparring?

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Disco said:
The reasons I train are for SD and for fun. Quote from cfr's first post.

This has been debated before, somewhere on here (MT), but I'll reference the subject again, as it directly relates. What does sparring have to do with self defense? If sparring is what you really want to do, go find a TKD school that focus's on Olympic style TKD. You'll get all the sparring you can handle. Or am I misinterpreting what you mean by sparring?

Lots of people here seems to find a big value in sparring for SD. Doesnt TKD sparring not allow stikes to the head? Anyways, Isnt there usually a big difference between TKD sparring and MT sparring? I always thought there was, but having never done it I could be wrong.

D

Disco

I'll just quote an old saying,...."You fight like you train".....

TKD sparring (WTF Olympic style) only allows kicks to the head and nothing frontal. But once again, if sparring (not being allowed to) is the crux of your dilemma, then you have answered your own question. Want to spar but can't - leave and find a school that will let you. To quote you again; "for SD and fun" Apparently you fun meter is not registering and the SD aspect of sparring is blown out of the water here, cause you won't be able to spar for 2 yrs. So if you stay at this school, just what are you learning?

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Disco said:
I'll just quote an old saying,...."You fight like you train".....

Apparently you fun meter is not registering and the SD aspect of sparring is blown out of the water here, cause you won't be able to spar for 2 yrs. So if you stay at this school, just what are you learning?

Im lost on this one. Could you please elaborate?

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
Ive got plenty of justification to quit. Rehearsing scripted motions is getting boring and Im really wondering if it doesnt lead to a false sense of security. Im wondering how Ill react when someone throws a punch that Im not waiting for. I really dont want to totally freeze up because I will be like a fish out of water. Am I totally in left field for thinking this? Really I was hoping for a justification to stay.

I just re-read this. So everyone knows, these comments weren't meant at all to sound rude or offensive to anyone. I certainly wasn't trying to snap at anybody. I do value your opinions which is why I posted something that I was certain would not be viewed at kindly by most. My questions were sincere. I do wonder if being in MA for a total of 3 - 3 1/2 years (accumulated from all my schools) before ever sparring wouldnt lead to a false sense of security. I do wonder if it would do me more harm than good to stay where Im at.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
cfr said:
My questions were sincere. I do wonder if being in MA for a total of 3 - 3 1/2 years (accumulated from all my schools) before ever sparring wouldnt lead to a false sense of security. I do wonder if it would do me more harm than good to stay where Im at.
Jumping from school to school may not give you as good a base as you might have needed/wanted. Basically, what is your goal? What do you wish to gain from studying a martial art? How do you envision yourself in the future?

- Ceicei

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cfr said:
I just re-read this. So everyone knows, these comments weren't meant at all to sound rude or offensive to anyone. I certainly wasn't trying to snap at anybody. I do value your opinions which is why I posted something that I was certain would not be viewed at kindly by most. My questions were sincere. I do wonder if being in MA for a total of 3 - 3 1/2 years (accumulated from all my schools) before ever sparring wouldnt lead to a false sense of security. I do wonder if it would do me more harm than good to stay where Im at.
I being serious here. Your current instructor expects a certain set of standards to be met before you step in the ring. Its not a bad method of training. How can you be over confident if you are worried about being over confident? He wants your kicks to be awesome, your punches crisp and effective, and trading punches with an opponent is no time to be fumbling through your stances and switches. In short, no one is trying to convince you that you are ready for a street situation. If you want in the ring now, I'm sure you will find someone to take your money; however, your ability to improve will be so stiffled that you will never and I mean never accomplish what was to be accomplished in the trial two year waiting period, or should I say training period; because you will always be right back where you started and afraid to try something new.
Sean

X

XkempoX

Touch'O'Death said:
I being serious here. Your current instructor expects a certain set of standards to be met before you step in the ring. Its not a bad method of training. How can you be over confident if you are worried about being over confident? He wants your kicks to be awesome, your punches crisp and effective, and trading punches with an opponent is no time to be fumbling through your stances and switches.

Let me start with a saying "Patience is a Virtue".

I totally agree with Sean. Having trained with various MA systems prior to training in Muay Thai/JKD, I have learned to be more patient every time I jumped from one system to another. There are times that you feel you are ready to advance to the next level, but through your instructor's experienced eyes sometimes you're not. BTW, injury do happen, whether in or out of training. I was in a mountain biking accident last year and fractured my shoulder, and was on a sling for 6 months. But the bottom line is, don't give up even though you have start from scratch again -- to attain perfection. Hang in there, my friend.... Hope I'm making sense....
smileJap.gif

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I being serious here. Your current instructor expects a certain set of standards to be met before you step in the ring. Its not a bad method of training. How can you be over confident if you are worried about being over confident? He wants your kicks to be awesome, your punches crisp and effective, and trading punches with an opponent is no time to be fumbling through your stances and switches. In short, no one is trying to convince you that you are ready for a street situation. If you want in the ring now, I'm sure you will find someone to take your money; however, your ability to improve will be so stiffled that you will never and I mean never accomplish what was to be accomplished in the trial two year waiting period, or should I say training period; because you will always be right back where you started and afraid to try something new.
Sean
Having slummed it around a few kickboxing gyms, I have seen a thing that can't be good. Some coaches believe (and I'm sure they have a reason) that a would-be should get in the ring day one, and start getting hit by a superior. Near as I could tell, all it ever did was condition people into gun shy habits that were a beyotch to break. I.e., closing the eyes when a blow is coming, flinching, etc. Lose your center, lose your fight. Sparring is vitally important to the development of interactive combat skills/capabilities, such as timing, distance, developing strategies of attack, defense, counter-attack that work with your specific strengths and weaknesses, but de-programming a bad habit is harder than taking your time to make sure you never get it in the first place.

D.

O

OC Kid

I noticed that you are in Calif. SoCal has some excellent schools that have open sparring nights. For a nominal fee (or in some cases free) they will let you come and sparr. If you are in the Huntington Beach area check out Bob Whites Kempo Karate during the 80's and 90's he had some of the best tournament fighters in the country under him. Another good place is American Kempo karate in San Diego on El Cajon Blvd. Todd also has a open sparring class and has also trained some of the best fighters in the country.
Chicken Gabriel has a school in downtown San Diego. I you want just to spar then checkout one of these schools or give them a call and they can direct you to a school near your home.

Latest Discussions