Has anyone used the Tracy home study course?

BJTipton11

White Belt
Reaction score
I just purchased the Orange Belt techniques video. I am planning on doing a combination and home study using these tapes. I have an Instructor who is a high level black belt in Tracys Kenpo that has agreed to fine tune my learning and do the actual testing for me. I would train with him regularly but he lives 100 miles away. So this is the best bet for me. I trained with him in the past, only to yellow belt and life got in the way and we both ended up moving. So what are the opinions concerning my plan to use both home training on video and live training with my Sifu? Im interested in how this will workout for me in the long term.

Though they are much more pricey I would consider getting these:

http://kenpokaratellc.com/instructor-series-dvds/

They are much better in both video and instruction quality. Steve Finn is based out of Lexington, KY and one of Mr. Tracy's top instructors.

Here is an example from one of the DVDs.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/100473-Delayed-Sword-Tracy-s-Kenpo

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Video's can be a good reference tool but not worthwhile if you do not have a regular instructor. Find a good school near you with an instructor you will enjoy! Good luck!!!

RCastillo

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, it worked for me. I started in the late 70's, moved away, got into TKD because there was no Kenpo where I lived. Got back into it by an ad in Black Belt mag in 93. But I would also go across the state to get lessons, fine tuning, and test. I still continued to go visit others, and invite others down to help me. Plus I've attended several camps, and have worked with GM Tracy five times. What made it easy for me what that I held a 3rd Dan in the ITF by the time I got re-involved, so the transition back into Tracy Kenpo was easy for me.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
But I would also go across the state to get lessons, fine tuning, and test. I still continued to go visit others, and invite others down to help me. Plus I've attended several camps, and have worked with GM Tracy five times.

Bingo. That is the only way. Nothing will ever replace live physical interaction with knowledgeable peers and teachers. It is crucial to try something that you think will work, and experience its failure. Then you get to analyze why, and true learning results. Good Luck!

chrstnkenpoist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just purchased the Orange Belt techniques video. I am planning on doing a combination and home study using these tapes. I have an Instructor who is a high level black belt in Tracys Kenpo that has agreed to fine tune my learning and do the actual testing for me. I would train with him regularly but he lives 100 miles away. So this is the best bet for me. I trained with him in the past, only to yellow belt and life got in the way and we both ended up moving. So what are the opinions concerning my plan to use both home training on video and live training with my Sifu? Im interested in how this will workout for me in the long term.
I know most of the responses to your question were negative, but mine is not. Having used a training tape or 2 from the Tracy Organization. I have to say they were very user friendly. I was able to follow along, and understand the material quite well. I think having previous kenpo experience helped me, and will help you, especially having a qualified instructor to assist you in the training. All this being said, does not mean I believe all "training" tapes are truly useful for actually "learning" material cold, but there are some out there(like the Tracys) who offer a very useful product for those who are so inclined.

spawn2031

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Necro bump!!

I can say myself from being in Tracy's Kenpo a long time ago, they do have some exceptional training materials. I dont think any one of them by themselves would suffice but the videos combined with their technique bible can give you a very very good grasp on what is going on with each technique. I am kind of in the same situation as the OP here except that I almost got my brown belt before having to quit, but here I find myself years down the road, wanting to finish my BB and being in a somewhat rural area, swimming in a sea of TKD. Nothing wrong with TKD by any means and I am enrolled in a local school but I keep finding myself dreaming of finishing where I left off in Kenpo. Personally, I am going to contact Tracy's headquarters and see if there is an instructor that is close enough that I could go a couple times a year for tightening up my moves / belt test and one that would be interested in being able to do video private lessons via live webcams. Most certainly not the ideal way to go about it, but between the videos, bible and live web lessons (hopefully) this will be enough. I hope the OP has also found something that will work for him... Tracy's Kenpo just gets in your soul.

Shawn Veenstra

White Belt
Reaction score
Another Necro bump..

Currently I train at a local school doing private lessons (brand new place only a couple students).I have also train at an online dojo. I also bought the Al Tracy instructor series DVDs so between all of these I have excellent training and can give a review of both sides.

Currently I use the videos and online dojo as a reference, if I'm practicing and get stuck I'll pull a video and watch it. Videos I would say are a must have tool when I start my own dojo I will create videos (or sell Al Tracys) for my students to use.

Online/Video training is excellent for someone that wants to dabble in it to see if they want to stick with it or if there is no other options for schools near you. I have been doing online through a place called Virtual Kenpo for a year now. I have since found a local person I train with so I can actually attest to both methods.

Online/Video Pros

-Inexpensive (Most are $20 or less per month)
- Can Access anywhere anytime
- Great for introductory

These Pros are from Virtual Kenpo where I train I can't speak for the other schools
-Responsive Instructors (Can send a message or video any time and within 1-2 days they will review it)
-Online Community (think almost Facebook esq)
-Private online lessons
-Free Weekly Group Sessions

Cons
- No "fine tuning"
- No Partners (unless you have a willing person)
- No true "Schedule" so you have to plan it yourself
- Might practice something wrong get used to it, then have to break that habit

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another Necro bump..

Currently I train at a local school doing private lessons (brand new place only a couple students).I have also train at an online dojo. I also bought the Al Tracy instructor series DVDs so between all of these I have excellent training and can give a review of both sides.

Currently I use the videos and online dojo as a reference, if I'm practicing and get stuck I'll pull a video and watch it. Videos I would say are a must have tool when I start my own dojo I will create videos (or sell Al Tracys) for my students to use.

Online/Video training is excellent for someone that wants to dabble in it to see if they want to stick with it or if there is no other options for schools near you. I have been doing online through a place called Virtual Kenpo for a year now. I have since found a local person I train with so I can actually attest to both methods.

Online/Video Pros

- Great for introductory

These Pros are from Virtual Kenpo where I train I can't speak for the other schools
-Responsive Instructors (Can send a message or video any time and within 1-2 days they will review it)
-Private online lessons

Cons
- No "fine tuning"

Welcome to Martial Talk, Shawn. :)

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Another Necro bump..

Online/Video Pros

- Great for introductory

-Private online lessons

Cons
- No "fine tuning"
Welcome Shawn even if I joined later then u XD

chrstnkenpoist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A Friend and I are going to be learning together. And my instructor is exceptional, He is listed in the Tracy's family tree and I have trained with him in the past, although only to yellow before I moved. He is currently a 7th degree. And I will be travelling for a training session with him at least once per month, and, as finances permit, hopefully more than that. I appreciate the feedback, and certainly understand the sentiments concerning video as a primary source. If it were at all possible, I would train in a school setting only, but it just isnt there.
Hello. I hope you did pursue your trading course. I began my training in Chinese/Tracy’s Kenpo, and at 1 point I did use some of the Tracy’s training materials. I found them to be quite helpful. I agree with the sentiment put forth by some that the materials alone are not the best course to learn a system. But if you already have some experience in the system. I believe one can learn from the materials. Especially if you have access to a Instructor who will help you fine tune everything.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
If this is the best you can do, then do it. I earned my Tracy black belt years ago and taught for Tracy at his studio. I now teach and practice American Kenpo. I've always worked out by myself most of the time. I'm 77 years old and I've had to use my self-defense skills many times and they never failed me.
It's fine to study by yourself, as long as you get together with someone once in a while and have a great workout in using the technqiues (without injuring each other.)
I live in Puyallup, WA and still give private lessons. If you live near by, give me a shout. [email protected]

Latest Discussions