Has anyone met the person that started their association?

C

canadiangirl09

Has anyone acutually met the person that started the karate? We did tonite he was so cool! He made the Dahn Moo Doo Association . His name is Grand MAster Lee. He is going back to his karate studio in Korea tomorrow! We learned techniques and breathing excersises and cool kicks! Has anyone ever met the person that started the association?

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have met the Late Grand Master H.U. Lee about three or so times. Amazing man he was and a great loss not only to the ATA and TKD, but to the world as well.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had the honor and pleasure of meeting Yip Sing (son of Yip Man) of Wing Chun and had some hands on teachings from him at a seminar once.

Also had the pleasure/honor of meeting Sr. Master Ed Parker Jr. (though it's not my art).

Both gentlemen were just that... gentlemen and ordinary people with extraordinary skills. But only because they've been doing it all their lives eh? :D :asian:

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately no, he died before I started my training. I have met his daughter and wife though, they are very nice people. His daughter now runs our organisation.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taekwondo? No.

My organization? Yes. Once, He retired from teaching around 1990 and I met him at a summer camp in '94.

OP
C

clapping_tiger

I didn't start Kenpo until 5 1/2 years ago and unfortunately Mr. Parker had already passed.

But I have had attended 3 seminars and 1 advanced class with GM Vic LeRoux when we were lucky enough for him to visit our school. Mr. LeRoux is on of the Co-Founders of the IKCA.

OP
J

jjmcc

YES.....I train with him 3 times per week you see Kupso tuite is only about 7 years old. :partyon: :partyon:

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
canadiangirl09 said:
Has anyone acutually met the person that started the karate? We did tonite he was so cool! He made the Dahn Moo Doo Association . His name is Grand MAster Lee. He is going back to his karate studio in Korea tomorrow! We learned techniques and breathing excersises and cool kicks! Has anyone ever met the person that started the association?
There is a seminar that I go to every year called "The Gathering". There you will get to meet some of the top guys in most organizations and have a chance to learn from them directly. Here is a good chance to ask them questions about there arts history and linage.

Here is a list of some of the past participants.

Hanshi Bruce Juchnik, Shihan Larry Kraxberger, Professor Imi Okazaki-Mullins, Professor Cherry Ortega, Grandmaster Ming Lum, Sifu Mike Young, Professor Jaime Basquez, Shimabukuro Masayuki Hanshi, Grandmaster Robert Hoe, Shihan Charles Garrett, Grandmaster Frank Sanchez, Sensei Carl Long, Guru Carlito Bonjoc Jr, Sifu Janet Gee, Grandmaster Michael DeAlba, Guru George Santana, Sensei Miyako Fugitani, Master George Elmer Jr, Shihan Mike Burton, Sifu Toby Cooley, Shihan Pat Kelly, Sensei Bob Cook, Grandmaster Vincent Cabalas, Master Glenn Gavin, Master Randy Stigall, Shihan Mark Sheeley, Sifu Bernie Langdon, Shihan Terry Webb, Grandmaster Eugene Sedeno, Grandmaster Don Jordan, Sensei Todd Martin, Sifu Robert Nakashima, Sifu Scott Felsen, Shihan Jeff Driscoll, Shihan Rick Wilmott, Shihan Ray Erlandson, Sifu George Cassell, Sensei Sid Castaneda, Guru Glen Abrascy, Shihan Michael Brown, Shihan Mark Burnham, Sensei Tony DiSarro, Kevin Areia, Shihan, Soke Harris Warren, John McCallum Shihan, Shihan Jesus Rodriquez, & Sensei Jon Ludwig.

Here is a link to there website.
http://www.collectivesociety.com/index.jsp

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
canadiangirl09 said:
Yes, and I am honored to be student of and mentored by my parent organizations founder and he is also my academy and training association's senior advisor.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Several times a year when I and other Master Instructors judge with him at our Central Studio as well as other studios in the organization. I will also have infrequent phone conversations with him. Being with him is like going back to school. You realize how little you know.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had a couple of discussions with my jujutsu instructor about how much he enjoys being able to visit his instructors because it's so much simpler to just be a student again.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I have twice had the honor and pleasure of meeting Grandmaster Duk Sung Son of the World Tae Kwon Do Association. The first time was for a few days at the annual summer camp event in New York about three years ago where I tested for, and was awarded, the rank of first dan. The second time was at a smaller gathering here in California about two years ago. Fun times.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No... he died before I was born (Lau Bun) , but I've performed for his successor (Jew Leong) & have been taught by & still train with occassionally his successor, my sigung Dino Salvatera.

OP
T

The Prof

About how old is Grandmaster Sun? I met him in 1965 in NYC. I can't remember at which school though. Am I incorrect on sayng that at that his style is/was Moo Do Kwan? Thanks. :asian:

Prof

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was never able to meet Mr. Parker because I started my Journey nearly ten years after his passing. However, I have been able to meet many of his original students, his son, and the founder of the IKKO, Mr. Conatser (DCGoldendragon) over the past few years. I feel extremely lucky to have been able to meet so many of the people that helped start it all.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
The Prof said:
About how old is Grandmaster Sun? I met him in 1965 in NYC. I can't remember at which school though. Am I incorrect on sayng that at that his style is/was Moo Do Kwan? Thanks. :asian:

If you're question was directed at me with regard to Mr. Son, I think he's 82. And he still teaches class 5 days a week. Our style is actually Chung Do Kwan, but there are a lot of similarities between it and Moo Duk Kwan. :asian:

Latest Discussions