Has anyone heard of a style called Shodan Ryu?

L

Little_Shoto

A friend of mine mentioned that a friend of his trained him in this style until the instructor moved back to Denver ....

Any ideas?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan means first degree black belt. I have never heard of it as a style before. Could it have been Shorin-ryu?

OP
L

Little_Shoto

It's possible. My friend only practived it was a bit less than one year ..and that was over 10 years ago.

Would there be any reason why teaching Shorin Ryu be illegal in all stats except Colorado?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
In a word, No.

No martial arts have been outlawed in the US that I know of.

Lamont

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shorin-ryu is fairly widely taught. Some weapons are illegal in some states, e.g. the nunchaku.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nunchaku are illegal in california...

illegal to carry.

they are, however, legal to transport, and to use on private property, as long as you're not hurting anyone...

same with

sword
bo
knife
kama
escrima
nunchaku
sais

balisong, or butterfly knife, is illegal completely in california, as is any knife that is spring loaded.

The best thing is to get your instructor to print up cards saying that you're a martial arts student...

I got some funny looks at the california/nevada inspection station when I came back from a tournament with a back seat full of weapons. I just showed em my card and they waved me on through. Otherwise, the cops may have had an issue with me.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Little_Shoto

It's possible. My friend only practived it was a bit less than one year ..and that was over 10 years ago.

Would there be any reason why teaching Shorin Ryu be illegal in all stats except Colorado?

If someone was stating that a system was illegal to teach outside of a state, country, province, etc., that would be my first hint the system may be a sham.

Cthulhu

OP
L

Little_Shoto

That's what I was thinking. Since he's a pretty good friend, I felt comfortable enough to tell him that he was full of <censored>. :)