Has anyone ever heard of USKA?

warrior08

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
re:USKA,
It's on LI and is a kenpo school. I studied kenpo at a different school and don't see this one listed in wkka.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
re:USKA,
It's on LI and is a kenpo school. I studied kenpo at a different school and don't see this one listed in wkka.

How about a link to the school's website, or a bit more information, how about an instructor's name? My current instructor is from LI, so I may be able to get some info for you.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
at one time it stood for United States karate Association but that most likely is a different USKA and the one I mention may not even be around anymore

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

Welcome to Martial Talk.

OP
W

warrior08

White Belt
Reaction score
How about a link to the school's website, or a bit more information, how about an instructor's name? My current instructor is from LI, so I may be able to get some info for you.

http://www.uskarateacademy.com/
Mr. Mauro began his long and lucrative career in the martial arts at the early age of four when he started boxing under the supervision of his father Frank Mauro. At the age of eight years, he began his formal studies in the styles of Judo and Shotokan Karate. It is in these styles that he would receive his first Black Belt (1st Dan). In high school, Mr. Mauro studied the art of wrestling and quickly became the captain of his wrestling team. Through all of his training in the arts of boxing, Judo, wrestling, and Shotokan Karate, Mr. Mauro became a well-rounded martial artist. In the mid-1970's, he realized that he wanted to study a martial arts style which encompassed all of these different techniques and therefore reflected more of himself and what he thought a well-rounded fighter should be. Perhaps the moment of enlightenment arrived when he looked to the boxing legend Muhamed Ali and realized that the styles of karate (which on the most part are very rigid and traditional in their techniques) should integrate more footwork and spontaneity in order to become more effective
gainst one's opponent.

bob2.jpg
Mr. Mauro found what he was looking for in the style of Chinese Kenpo. Through Kenpo, he eventually met the 1st Full-Contact Heavyweight Champion of the World Joe Lewis and also Trent Perri, who is a practioner of the Tracy's Complete System of Chinese Kenpo. Through Trent Perri, he studied the formal system of Kenpo and structured his fighting skills according to techniques studied under Joe Lewis. He quickly realized that this was the combination he was looking for.

Mr. Robert Mauro, or "Bob" as he is more commonly known by his students, became a top competitor throughout the 1980's winning many regional and national titles in both semi-contact and full-contact competitions. He became captain of the Nightlife International Pro Karate Team and also the Power-Up Pro Karate Team.

bob3.jpg
Mr. Mauro opened his first Kenpo Karate school in 1983 located in Elmont, New York. Two years later in 1985, he opened another school in Island Park, New York, and finally, another school in Huntington, New York which was opened in 1990.

In 1995, Mr. Mauro received his rank of Master (6th Dan Black Belt) from Grand Master Joe Lewis. To continue the legacy of his own mentors, Shihan Mauro has trained his own set of "champions." These include Full-Contact Champion Javier Salinas, World Heavyweight Kickboxing Champion Derek Panza, World Lightweight Kickboxing Champion David Buglione, Welterweight Champion Tyrone Smith, and Point Karate Female Champion Mercy Arapas. The list is still growing.

Shihan Mauro is currently recognized as one of the premier trainers anywhere.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread moved to Kenpo.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.scoreclinic.com/

Dr. Omura may be able to help you. In his office he has his Kenpo Shodan cert dated 1980's something and it is USKA - United States Karate Association. He told me it is Kenpo but a hybrid system. We didn't go into the details as that is not why I was there.

Latest Discussions