Hard Style vs. Soft Style

V

vincefuess

I like that term! What he said! Yeah! Micro-Kenpo. I could swear one of my quarks did five swords on a neighboring lepton, but I can't prove it. Particle Kenpo is a *****. The positively charged proton of hydrogen denied the whole event. They have no respect for hadrons. Random acts of random aggression. Those freekin mesons really jacked it up.

Fractal Kenpo...

S

Sanxiawuyi

I know I am jumping to this discussion late, so someone may have already posted similar to this, but in traditional Chinese systems of wugong (martial arts) there two families:

Soft Arts/Internal Arts = Neigong

Neigong refers to the “internal” systems, such as Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Xingyiquan, Wenshenquan , Dachengquan, Liuhebafaquan, Wudang styles, etc.

Hard Arts/External Arts = Waigong

Waigong refers to external systems such as Youngchunquan (Wing Chun), Cailifoquan (Choy Lay Fut), Huzunquan (Tiger fist), etc…

This does not mean that one does not use forceful techniques, or one is “softer or harder”, it just means that one system focuses more on the internal aspects of qi (chi) more then the other.

Some external systems pay some attention to this, such as Hongjiaquan (Hung gar/family fist), but rely mostly on strength and muscular force; where as systems such as Baguazhang will rely more on qi, rooting, fa-jing, etc..

I think our systems of Westernized Kenpo would definitely be classified as a Hard Art/External or a Waigong system

Hope this helps!

Sanxiawuyi
:asian:

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by vincefuess
I like that term! What he said! Yeah! Micro-Kenpo. I could swear one of my quarks did five swords on a neighboring lepton, but I can't prove it. Particle Kenpo is a *****. The positively charged proton of hydrogen denied the whole event. They have no respect for hadrons. Random acts of random aggression. Those freekin mesons really jacked it up.

Fractal Kenpo...

Sounds like you're talking about NUCLEAR KENPO... If you wanna be an expert on that eat some Re-Fried Beans the night before practice. LOL

:fart:

Billy Lear

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Go easy on Dennis, he might decide to come and 'help' you learn a new technique :D
(Actually I wish that would happen)

We study how a body moves in order to become more efficient at what we do. A punch is a punch is a punch but understanding how a punch generates power is crucial to practise and the increase of said power/speed.

Maybe we are just too experienced and take this for granted. But if you try to tell a beginner that the punch generates all it's movement from circles you'd probably confuse them. Once you break it down to hip rotation, arm rotation, flexation, etc then they can understand. In order for us to explain these things we have to know that a punch although a linear movement is made up of a bunch of circles.

So, it may be micro-kenpo but doesn't the more understanding of how the body moves make you a better prationtioner?

Thanks,
Rob

V

vincefuess

Those mats can be merciless when you are seated on them, stretching and warming up, and TRY to sneak one off...

BRRRRAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

It always happens when there are cute girls on the mat, too!

Man, I hate when that happens...

T

tunetigress

The circular vs. linear point is how I always understood it. Linear styles were considered "hard" styles and circular styles were considered "soft" styles- abrupt linear snapping or stopping motion vs. flowing, circular motion. Most all style incorporate elements of both, but some are still dominant in one or the other.

Its as much about a mindset as anything else. I have seen kenpo practitioners who flow like Wushu performers, and I have seen some who move with incredible bashing linear power. It's all there- just depends on what you want.

Vince, your descriptions of hard and soft styles is precisely what I have been taught as well. I personally love the idea that it really is all there, and we can use what works for us as individuals! Kenpo gives me not only what I want, but also what I need! Respectfully, _(_)_ Tune

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is all in perception. How detailed a look are you giving it. If the person you are discussing this topic with is on the same page as you then it doesn't matter how you term it..... you understand what each is referring to.

S

Sanxiawuyi

The circular vs. linear point is how I always understood it. Linear styles were considered "hard" styles and circular styles were considered "soft" styles.

Soft Arts or Internal Arts = Neigong

Neigong refers to the “internal” systems, such as Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Xingyiquan, Wenshenquan , Dachengquan, Liuhebafaquan, Wudang styles, etc.

Hard Arts or External Arts = Waigong

Waigong refers to external systems such as Youngchunquan (Wing Chun), Cailifoquan (Choy Lay Fut), Huzunquan (Tiger fist), etc…

Westernized Kenpo would definitely be classified as a Hard Art/External or a Waigong system.

This does not mean that one does not use forceful techniques, or one is “softer or harder”, or one is "circular or linear", .... it just means that one system focuses more on the internal aspects of qi (chi) more then the other.

Xingyi (Hsing-i) is very linear, but most definitely an internal/soft system.

Sanxiawuyi

Latest Discussions