Hard and Soft in JMAs and CMAs

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've read hear and elsewhere, it seems the concepts of Hard and Soft mean different things in the JMAs and CMAs.

Could someone with knowledge about both perhaps elaborate?

Thanks,

Jeff

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, OK? I try from what I understand it to be...Hard usually means direct blocks...soft deflect the blocks, sometimes known as parring

Some styles claim to be Soft or Hard style. But anyone who trains knows we sometimes have to block hard and sometimes softly bush away.

To do only one doesn't make sense..No two fights will be the same.
Japanese Karate is known as Hard styles...Kung-fu thens to be known as Soft style...these are general concepts of to much movies!

Watch Karate and China arts...they both have the hard and softness to them in real fights..........Aloha

Just my opinion here.....this is Hard to explain.....but typing softly helps!

Shrewsbury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
soft and hard are misnomers, it is certainly relevant in most arts. what i think what happened is soft became the way to describe flowing or circular arts and hard describes linear or broken rythmn arts.

to me it would be more of a internal and external classification, which nearly all the hard and soft arts would classify as external, and only a few arts can be classified as internal.

Latest Discussions