Hanshi Bruce Juchnik

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished a two day seminar with Hanshi Juchnik of the Kosho Ryu Kempo line.

Man, last week I thought I was starting to know what I'm doing. Damn, that man can move. Beyond that, he's probably the most knowledgable martial arts scholar I've ever encountered.

If you get the chance to work with Hanshi, I recommend.

OP
B

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
No pics from me. Every second I spend snapping a photo is a second I'm not experiencing the moment. I'm actually photo-hostile.

Stuff we worked was movement and concept based. Difficult to explain in words. A lot of blending with the attacker's motion, using it to set him up for a big fall. A lot of timing and sensitivity.

Not very sexy to explain (or probably to watch), but man it felt good to participate in.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every second I spend snapping a photo is a second I'm not experiencing the moment

I agree with that statment

Learning to blend with the opponents movement is always enjoyable and frustratinf at the same time

happy to hear you had a good time

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
An amazing experience I've shared myself. No matter how many seminars or deshi's of his I've attended, everyone produces a phenomenon I describe as 'smoke coming out of the ears'.

bushido,

Do you study Kosho or are you part of another line that was cross training with Hanshi?

_Don Flatt

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
How about a review of some of the stuff you learned...

I would like to join in on such a discussion as well. A friend of mine used to be under Mr. Juchnik, and invited me to a small session they had in his garage about two years ago. It was basically four of us and Mr. Juchnik for about two hours. I have to admit I wasn't impressed in the least, but at the same time I recognize that I saw only a fraction of what he can likely do.

Look forward to it.

Thanks,

Steven Brown
Universal Kenpo Federation

OP
B

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you study Kosho or are you part of another line that was cross training with Hanshi?
_Don Flatt

Both. My studio teaches Parker lineage Kenpo (plus a little more) up through black belt. After black, we do a lot of Kosho. Kosho seems to me one of those arts that's better studied after getting rank in something a little more complete.

Bujuts-- after a good night's sleep, I can explain a little better. It's sort of like the meaner, thuggish little brother of Aikido. Aikido directs and guides an attacker's motion into a throw or lock. Kosho uses the same principals to direct and guide an attacker's motion into your strike, creating a devastating hit at the point of impact.

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would like to join in on such a discussion as well. A friend of mine used to be under Mr. Juchnik, and invited me to a small session they had in his garage about two years ago. It was basically four of us and Mr. Juchnik for about two hours. I have to admit I wasn't impressed in the least, but at the same time I recognize that I saw only a fraction of what he can likely do.

Bujuts,

What was it that you did not like about Bruce Juchnik's teaching? Who is your "friend" that used to be under him?

-John

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just finished a two day seminar with Hanshi Juchnik of the Kosho Ryu Kempo line.

Man, last week I thought I was starting to know what I'm doing. Damn, that man can move. Beyond that, he's probably the most knowledgable martial arts scholar I've ever encountered.

If you get the chance to work with Hanshi, I recommend.

. It's sort of like the meaner, thuggish little brother of Aikido. Aikido directs and guides an attacker's motion into a throw or lock. Kosho uses the same principals to direct and guide an attacker's motion into your strike, creating a devastating hit at the point of impact.

Hanshi Juchnik is an awesome teacher......it's been awhile though since I've had a chance to train with him.

As far as the comparisons to Aikido; Kosho looks and feels more like a classical jujutsu or aikijutsu art. In the traditional jujutsu arts, the idea is to have the opponents movements destroy himself.
You want to dispatch the opponent as quickly and with as minimal movement as possible.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I may butcher this question so please forgive me if I do. Does Kosho work more off the direction of energy (A frontal attack is a frontal attack, regardless of whether its (say) a punch or a kick)? We work with similar principles in Silat but I'm not very good at describing it.

Just curious :)

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Silat and Kosho are really similar.
A silat student would feel right at home in a Kosho class......and vice versa.

mitose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!
If you find Bruce so great,attend a seminar with the Mitose's and you'll think were Gods!!!!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with that statment

Learning to blend with the opponents movement is always enjoyable and frustratinf at the same time

happy to hear you had a good time
So do I...

I do try to take a camera to seminars... About all I end up with (unless I've got someone I can give the camera to) is a group shot at the end, and maybe one or two taken during a break. But I'm usually too busy scribbling some notes down...

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have hanshi Coming to my Dojo in March 1st and 2nd.

Kosho

Latest Discussions