Hand speed fluxuation problem?

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
My hand speed fluxuats, sometimes I am uniquely fast and sometimes I am no were near my peak speed and it is earatating. I wounder how can I get to a point were my hand speed stays at top peak.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Drill your techniques over and over again, and be focused when you do it.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Own the techniques, don't just do them. Once the thought process is removed, we begin to use the minds eye.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could it be possible that you are doing too much , maybe your muscles need to rest.

When I did a couple of hundred fast punching repetitions , for a couple of days after that I knew my speed would be sub par , as my muscles were flat and needed time to recover.

Not saying this is your problem , because there are many factors to consider , but it could be one explanation .

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
All valid points so far and good info. What are you doing to supplement your training for the speed. If you can, start doing some reaction speed training and plyometrics. They will help bring your speed up and make it more even. IMO.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some of this will depend on the style you practice. Also, you should really be asking your instructor or senior student who can see what you are doing and make specific suggestions. Having said that, focus is important, but don't focus on "speed". Focus on the technique, and focus on relaxing. Many people try to get faster, but they end up tensing the wrong muscles, and actually slow themselves down.

One practice that we have done is to throw techniques with a "soft hand" (in the air, not against a target). This tends to soften the rest of your arm as well, helping to relax everything that isn't required for the proper technique. After you get a sense sense of this kind of movement, then you can return to your more rigid striking point (i.e. making a fist). This will also make you focus on proper power production -- through the body, instead of the with arm (which might also be slowing you down).

If you're talking about speed through an entire form, we also had another saying "practice slow to get fast", which is essentially what the other poster was mentioning -- drill proper mechanics until they are in the muscle memory, then let them flow into greater speed.

If you're talking about hand speed in general, you could try training with a speed bad or target pads with a partner. Still, with these you have to learn to relax and let the techniques flow to achieve any real, lasting speed.

But really, talk to your instructor. They can see what you're doing and give you tips that will be most appropriate for your specific problems and your specific style.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could it be possible that you are doing too much , maybe your muscles need to rest.

My thoughts also. I also wounder how much may be the result of adrenelin. My hands always move faster in sparring, and I'm pretty sure that it's got something to do with adrenelin.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This may sound quaint, but relax in every movement. One reason you may be slowing down is you tense at some point during the repetitions. Just let it go and remain focused on the end of your technique, not the beginning. Also, it is okay to breathe! Purposely listen to your breath and your chi as you perform your movements, and see if your breathing is relaxed, or are you holding your breath at expression of the movement? Use your footwork as well to increase your speed, the eventual goal is NOT quicker or faster, but SOONER!! Lastly, move with open hand as well as a punch, and whip your wrist very quickly. Remember, the hands and feet are the result of everything, the cause of nothing.....relax your waist and your hips to your shoulders, and the speed will always be there.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
there is no way to maintain constant peak of any physical attribute, be it strength, conditioning, speed, or anything else. i used to be very quick, which was good, but i relied on my speed rather than good timing. having good timing will be of immense value when your speed is in a valley, & will help you that much more when it's at it's peak.

also, your speed may go down if you're overtraining. take a day or two off & see how it feels.

all the best,

jf