Hand Conditioning w/ Hee Il Cho

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say he is arguably the toughest mf'er in martial arts.

I would differently agree with you, I do hand conditioning but not like him. Maybe 10 reps each way he is doing like twenty five or more.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He's a living legend, no doubt about it! Remember the rock star hair he had in the 70's when he was only 7th Dan?! ;) I think I learned of Master Cho almostg as soon after I hear of Bruce Lee. Hee Il Cho and Jhoon Rhee, they were Tae Kwon Do to me when I first heard of it.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why do I picture Robert buying a Makiwara tonight.:ultracool

I so wish to have a makiwara! I am researching that now. We used to have one at an older location. It was VERY stiff! It was a 2x4, not tapered. I have found some information about building one that is tapered. I wish to have one that will go INSIDE a building but not be mounted, it will be freestanding, on its own stand. Gwon, Pu-Gil had one of these in his book The Dynamic Art of Breaking.

And, though I will relent and NOT condition my hands for the spear hand technique, I DO wish to condition them for the punch and for the knife hand strike. And, yes, I will do it with the knowledge that it can cause damage to the hands. But, I am already 41 years old. I do not plan to live forever, so I can take this risk.

I will post up about it when I finally decide which design to use. I have a friend who is a Masterful Carpenter and can fashion this makiwara for me very correctly, once I specify the design!

My practice is going good, I am getting in shape and have not gotten hurt! My Master Instructor is happy to have me back!

My yoga is kicking into gear as well! If all goes well, I will again be able to do this TKD well! And, of course, that includes the breaking techniques! I will not shy away from these breaking techniques! They demonstrate good power and focus!

Regards,

Robert

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you looked into iron palm training Robert?
Super cool for breaking and doesn't have the negative side effects sometimes seen with makiwara. Might be worth looking in to. Good luck on your quest! Can't wait to see some of your breaks!

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Have you looked into iron palm training Robert?
Super cool for breaking and doesn't have the negative side effects sometimes seen with makiwara. Might be worth looking in to. Good luck on your quest! Can't wait to see some of your breaks!

No, I have not looked into that, but I am inclined to do it in the way that my school originally trained, with these striking boards.

If all goes well, Laurentkd, perhaps I can post some images or video clips of breaking! Thank you.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I so wish to have a makiwara! I am researching that now. We used to have one at an older location. It was VERY stiff! It was a 2x4, not tapered. I have found some information about building one that is tapered. I wish to have one that will go INSIDE a building but not be mounted, it will be freestanding, on its own stand. Gwon, Pu-Gil had one of these in his book The Dynamic Art of Breaking.

And, though I will relent and NOT condition my hands for the spear hand technique, I DO wish to condition them for the punch and for the knife hand strike. And, yes, I will do it with the knowledge that it can cause damage to the hands. But, I am already 41 years old. I do not plan to live forever, so I can take this risk.

I will post up about it when I finally decide which design to use. I have a friend who is a Masterful Carpenter and can fashion this makiwara for me very correctly, once I specify the design!

My practice is going good, I am getting in shape and have not gotten hurt! My Master Instructor is happy to have me back!

My yoga is kicking into gear as well! If all goes well, I will again be able to do this TKD well! And, of course, that includes the breaking techniques! I will not shy away from these breaking techniques! They demonstrate good power and focus!

Regards,

Robert

Hey Robert,
I'm into the Makiwara also. Keep us posted on your progress and I'd like to see the finished product when your friend has completed the project. I might be interested in commisioning him to build me a custom one (if he is interested).

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Robert,
I'm into the Makiwara also. Keep us posted on your progress and I'd like to see the finished product when your friend has completed the project. I might be interested in commisioning him to build me a custom one (if he is interested).

I certainly will show off the makiwara by posting pictures and possibly a video clip if I can get the use of a video camera once I am done!

Haha! This man does very fancy carpentry work, such that you have to use a laser level, a water level and chalk mark would be way too far off. He makes fancy ceilings, for example, that are vaulted. If you are off by more than 1/64", you can be WAY off by the time you get to the corner. He is a true master of wood working!

So, something like this will be trivial for him to make!