I need some help

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Kukkiwon textbook (page 274: 2006 edition) & it mentions (but doesn't show) a Huryo Chagi (Thrashing kick). It has a description that seems to be a way to throw several different types of kicks (as in a type of follow through) but it's not clear in the English translation.

Can someone please clarify that for me? Thanks

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems to me it can be used in a variety of kicks, round, side, front, etc. But, instead of snapping your foot back after making contact to the target area you continue to "push" through said area. Kind of like doing a snapping front kick verses doing a pushing front kick and "letting the opponent fall down or move back". I can see it working in full contact but not it controlled or light contact.

Just my opinion, of course.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems to me it can be used in a variety of kicks, round, side, front, etc. But, instead of snapping your foot back after making contact to the target area you continue to "push" through said area. Kind of like doing a snapping front kick verses doing a pushing front kick and "letting the opponent fall down or move back". I can see it working in full contact but not it controlled or light contact.

You know Wade I can see your point here sorry Iceman I do not own this one. So I cannot help you.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I think you're on the money on this, Master Wade. It think that's what the textbook was trying to convey. I've heard of doing various kicks as "pushing kicks" but "Thrashing kick" threw me off. Thanks!

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
it is also called a "push kick" or a "cut kick" try looking those up.

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's a similar concept as the push kick. Where as the push kick is applied to the linear thrust kicks such as the front or side kicks (placing a chambered foot on the target then pushing through affecting its balance and altering its position). The Huryo Chagi ( thrashing kick, sometime referred to as a hooking kick, not to be confused with a hook kick) is applied to circular kicks, instead of striking the target the goal is to follow through and move it along the arch of the kick, altering it's position.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
USAT: For level 1 coaches anyway.

1. A cut kick is a lead leg side kick. It can be snapped, skipped, slipped or pushed through the opponent.

2: A push kick is a lead leg front kick. Same thing applies as to the cut kick.

There has been a standardizing of terminology at the USAT national level to avoid confusion on which kick you are refereeing to. They are not the same kick.

At the local level we still run into "tornado kicks" and "squirrel kicks" just to name two. It gets really confusing when you are trying to explain what you are trying to get across at seminars etc when you have students from multiple schools all with their own names for their kicks.

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought a cut kick was a 45 degree roundhouse, half way between a traditional roundhouse and a front snap kick. If not, what is this kicks common name?

Thanks- Foot2Face

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK Foot, bear with me here. The common name for the kick you have described is the, wait for it........................ "CUT KICK'. :)

Remember, I said there have been changes but a lot of times the old names still apply. I have, in the past, heard a lead leg side/round/front kick called a "cut kick". Whether using the heel or the ball of the foot, didn't matter. I have heard a lead leg side kick called a "push kick". That is why the USAT is trying to standardize the names of the kicks. Too many variations of the same kick with too many names, very confusing, neh?

If I tell one of my players to do a push kick and a round kick they will know the "push kick" is a lead leg front kick and the round kick is coming off the back leg because lead leg round kicks, whether static, skipping or retreating, have different names.

Confused yet?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK Foot, bear with me here. The common name for the kick you have described is the, wait for it........................ "CUT KICK'. :)

Remember, I said there have been changes but a lot of times the old names still apply. I have, in the past, heard a lead leg side/round/front kick called a "cut kick". Whether using the heel or the ball of the foot, didn't matter. I have heard a lead leg side kick called a "push kick". That is why the USAT is trying to standardize the names of the kicks. Too many variations of the same kick with too many names, very confusing, neh?

If I tell one of my players to do a push kick and a round kick they will know the "push kick" is a lead leg front kick and the round kick is coming off the back leg because lead leg round kicks, whether static, skipping or retreating, have different names.

Confused yet?

Thank you for illustrating my dilema Master Wade. In the Kukkiwon textbook they often define name term soley in Korean. Or, in this case, name a kick that they have no pictures for, only a vague definition. In my 25 years of TKD, it's the first time I've ever heard the term "Thrash Kick." the textbook is also an attempt to standardize terms. It seems the Tower of Babel lives on.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
USAT: For level 1 coaches anyway.

1. A cut kick is a lead leg side kick. It can be snapped, skipped, slipped or pushed through the opponent.

Really? I've heard it defined as more of a cross between a side kick and a traditional (knee vertical, pulled up to chest) push kick, but done lazily (i.e. fast but without the traditional amount of chambering).

I certainly wouldn't do it as I'd do a front leg side kick (with full chambering, supporting foot to face opposite direction, hips over, body weight leaning slighly back).

I tend to do (and teach) cut kicks in the way that Professor Yang does them in the TERC video series.

From what I understand it's also called "Cut-chagi" in Korean, for some reason they chose to use our word for cut (maybe the cut kick originated outside of Korea?).

Latest Discussions