Han Mu Do anyone

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
there's another martial art created by a founder of my specific org of TKD called ITA, the MA is Han Mu Do and it's alot of joint locks and throwing and different things like that

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
there's another martial art created by a founder of my specific org of TKD called ITA, the MA is Han Mu Do and it's alot of joint locks and throwing and different things like that

I didn't know GM Kimm He-young was ITA. I thought he was a KSW guy and HKD guy.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The local ITA school in my city teaches some Hanmudo concepts and techniques, but it's a far cry from the full-blown version offered by a true Hanmudo master. I suppose the ITA product might be a good gateway into Hanmudo and allow you to make training connections if you are interested in the art but don't have an instructor in your area.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is the ITA a split from the ATA? I believe Dr. Kimm was a member of ther ATA before H.U. Lee developed his own forms.

Pax,

Chris

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The one I am thinking of is. They're strong in the southern US. There's a couple of ITA members that participate on this board. 'Granfire' is a BB, so you might try PMing her for more info about the ITA.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The local ITA school in my city teaches some Hanmudo concepts and techniques, but it's a far cry from the full-blown version offered by a true Hanmudo master. I suppose the ITA product might be a good gateway into Hanmudo and allow you to make training connections if you are interested in the art but don't have an instructor in your area.

Hanmudo is a blast and a half, but golly, you will be sore after practice (pressure points - ouwie!)

But you are right, the ITA curriculum only scratches the surface. There is a lot to comprehend and mucho practice necessary to get halfway fluent in it.

But it is an awesome break from the usual TKD routine. As my Master put it 'it makes you a more complete fighter'

I do believe the ITA split from the ATA, but that was long before my time.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok..So Hanmudo has been added on as an ITA curriculum program. GM Kimm was not part of the ITA before this was he?

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The "ITA" mentioned above... would this happen to be John Pellegrini's Independent TKD Association?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "ITA" mentioned above... would this happen to be John Pellegrini's Independent TKD Association?

It's the International Taekwondo Alliance, founded by Bert and Craig Collars, Art Monroe and a few other people about 20+ years ago.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Chris,

Originally there was ATA, then the USTA (one off shoot), which later turned into the ITA.

The International Taekwondo Alliance is a franchise Taekwondo program, using seriously modified techniques (14 movements in Chon-Ji, etc.) For years they where viewed as a belt mill organization. The hope is that a man of Dr. Kimm's caliber will clean up the image a bit and make the organization appear or become more credible. I am not sure how deap his role is, but any connection cannot help!

Original Thread Starter (sorry I didnt catch the name)

Regarding Han Mu Do, how does that work with the introduction of the special childrens jiu-jitsu program created by the Gracies and used by the ITA?

TAEKWON!
Spookey

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, not going into the politics and inner workings of the ITA (you are welcome to follow the link provided in my sig to come on over and elaborate :) ) Master Kimm is certainly a personality in his own right, with or without the ITA.

Anyhow, the BJJ program is very close to the original from what I have been told, but has nothing to do with Hanmundo other than at one point you want to get off the ground...

I am not sure about the difference between the kid jutsu and the other version, but you will have to take that up with the Gracies, not the ITA.

Hanmundo was slimmed down into smaller bites, the original works fill a huge book, no way you can get to even a raction of it in 1 or 2 training sessions a month (or even once a week).

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The International Taekwondo Alliance is a franchise Taekwondo program, using seriously modified techniques (14 movements in Chon-Ji, etc.) For years they where viewed as a belt mill organization. The hope is that a man of Dr. Kimm's caliber will clean up the image a bit and make the organization appear or become more credible. I am not sure how deap his role is, but any connection cannot help!

THIS WORD WAS IN ERROR, I FULL INTENDED TO SAY HURT..."I AM NOT SURE HOW DEEP HIS ROLE IS BUT ANY CONNECTION CANNOT HURT!"

There was never any intent to speak ill of Dr. Kimm. I apologize for any misunderstanding my typo may have created!!!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
THIS WORD WAS IN ERROR, I FULL INTENDED TO SAY HURT..."I AM NOT SURE HOW DEEP HIS ROLE IS BUT ANY CONNECTION CANNOT HURT!"

There was never any intent to speak ill of Dr. Kimm. I apologize for any misunderstanding my typo may have created!!!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

I for one did not take it to heart. Many folks from our school were fortunate to meet him in person at a Hanmudo seminar and were deeply impressed with him. (I am not sure if it is appropriate to call a martial Arts Master adorable, but that was pretty much the consence).

Master Kimm has left a deep impact on the people I know of that met him (actually, My Master left a few impressions of himself on the mat, being Mr Kimm's favorite partner in the demonstrations during said seminar - grounds to much amusement in our ranks :D )

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TAEKWON!
Spookey

I thought I was the only one who would be thinking ahead or about something else and type what I was thinking not what I meant in that sentence! :)
Spookey we think faster than we type...that's my excuse lol and I'm sticking to it!

OP
firerex

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well dispite what y'all believe my instructor has the full manual in the academy although the highest i've gotten to go over was blue belt curiculum

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well dispite what y'all believe my instructor has the full manual in the academy although the highest i've gotten to go over was blue belt curiculum

I think you're missing the point. As I understand it, the manual used in the ITA contains only a fraction of the full Hanmudo techniques and principles. So while your instructor has the full manual it's still missing a bunch. An interesting project would be to take Dr. Kimm's Hanmudo book (it's huge) and compare it to your instructor's manual and do a straight tech for tech count with all accompanying variations. Unless you're saying that your instructor teaches straight out of Dr. Kimm's book?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you're missing the point. As I understand it, the manual used in the ITA contains only a fraction of the full Hanmudo techniques and principles. So while your instructor has the full manual it's still missing a bunch. An interesting project would be to take Dr. Kimm's Hanmudo book (it's huge) and compare it to your instructor's manual and do a straight tech for tech count with all accompanying variations. Unless you're saying that your instructor teaches straight out of Dr. Kimm's book?

Well, there are 2 books: The full manual, big as a house (letter/legal size, about 2-3 inches thick, and the paper is quiet thin...) and the ITA one...about pocket size...

Hanmudo is very complex and it's no secret that we don't get into it too deep.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, there are 2 books: The full manual, big as a house (letter/legal size, about 2-3 inches thick, and the paper is quiet thin...) and the ITA one...about pocket size...

Hanmudo is very complex and it's no secret that we don't get into it too deep.

Is the full manual Dr. Kimm's book? I own his Kuk Sool book and both his Hapkido books and they're all impressive works. He's surely a great martial artist and ma historian to book. I'd love to acquire a copy of his Hanmudo book too, but his ad says it's for members of his org only. Maybe one day I'll summon up the courage to call and ask him to sell me one. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's indeed his book.

I have been told he is the sweetest, so just call him up and ask him!

Latest Discussions