Guy takes on rioters. Guess what happens.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just going to put this out there. What techniques and tactics could one have used if they were in that position of defending the store and could not leave.

I think it would be best to keep the crowd at bay as long as possible but keep your back to the building and make sure no one comes from behind.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Poor guy, he should have just gotten the hell out of there.
In a riot situation like this, it's very unpredictable and violence can erupt out of nowhere.
If ever in a similar situation just get away, that's all you can do.

BTW to those that blame the fans.

Most of those that organize and start these riots aren't fans. They are mostly street gang members and punks looking to organize themmselves and start trouble relying on some of the crowd to lose control and join in once the looting starts. They even sometimes wear team jerseys to blend in with the crowd, but make no mistake about it most of the ones starting this have no interest in the sport itself, only the crowd so they can take advantage of the situation to loot, steal and cause havok.

Some of the fans arn't the brightest people and get taken in once the looting starts, we can associate them to the sport, but the main instigators are there to take advantage of the situation.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poor guy, he should have just gotten the hell out of there.
In a riot situation like this, it's very unpredictable and violence can erupt out of nowhere.
If ever in a similar situation just get away, that's all you can do.

BTW to those that blame the fans.

Most of those that organize and start these riots aren't fans. They are mostly street gang members and punks looking to organize themmselves and start trouble relying on some of the crowd to lose control and join in once the looting starts. They even sometimes wear team jerseys to blend in with the crowd, but make no mistake about it most of the ones starting this have no interest in the sport itself, only the crowd so they can take advantage of the situation to loot, steal and cause havok.

Some of the fans arn't the brightest people and get taken in once the looting starts, we can associate them to the sport, but the main instigators are there to take advantage of the situation.

I don't care what they were, they *are* looters and rioters, and they should be tracked down, prosecuted, and put in prison if convicted. Fans, gang-bangers, a rock is a rock, looting is looting. I would not shed a tear if the police opened fire and sent the lot of 'em to the morgue.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems they need to halt the Stanley Cup then... because if folks can't handle losing then they shouldn't play. And if they can't handle their teams losing then they need to grow the hell up.

It's all JUST A GAME!

ditto....I remember vancouver 1994....yeesh.

Hockey fans in Canada also riot if they win. Just go look up the montreal canadiens and riots. Yeesh.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No need for over-kill! That would put the police in the same category with the rioters... nobody wants that.

Rioters and looters are in the same category as violent anarchists to me. They're a threat to society, a cancer and a disease. Don't say 'nobody wants that'. I want that. Kill 'em. No problem for me.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know that some have stated that he should not have put himself in that situation, but he did. Yes, LEO could have dealt with it, but I am thinking that they were busy with the other rioters at the time. So, what is a guy to do? Lose his livelihood(assuming he owned the store or knew the store owners)? Let them take whatever and be glad he did not die(no guarantees there)? Arm himself and start going Dirty Harry on them?

The right answer is never clear at the time and remains unclear right now. We can all speculate as to what he should have done and to what we would have done. I was not there and I have no idea of what I would have done if I were in his situation. The one thing I can learn form him and his situation, is to always be prepared. Be aware of my surroundings and always have a plan of action. It is the best I can do.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rioters and looters are in the same category as violent anarchists to me. They're a threat to society, a cancer and a disease. Don't say 'nobody wants that'. I want that. Kill 'em. No problem for me.
Rioters and Looters are Anarchists? Anarchy is so 19th Century!!!

Kill them all? Your comment tells me that you are very ignorant, or doing a hell of a job, pretending to be so.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I remember vancouver 1994....yeesh.

Hockey fans in Canada also riot if they win. Just go look up the montreal canadiens and riots. Yeesh.
So in Canada - they riot when their team loses - and - they riot when their team wins, as well? Damn if you do - and - damn if you don't. Canada sounds like a wonderful place!!! Reminds me of the USA, after most Championships, of any sport... and/or Europe after any BIG/important Soccer Championship. GOOOOOOOOOOOOAL !!!

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
So in Canada - they riot when their team loses - and - they riot when their team wins, as well? Damn if you do - and - damn if you don't. Canada sounds like a wonderful place!!! Reminds me of the USA, after most Championships, of any sport... and/or Europe after any BIG/important Soccer Championship. GOOOOOOOOOOOOAL !!!

Unfortunately - it happened.

Yeah.dammed if we do and dammed if we don't.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just going to put this out there. What techniques and tactics could one have used if they were in that position of defending the store and could not leave.

I think it would be best to keep the crowd at bay as long as possible but keep your back to the building and make sure no one comes from behind.

Steel grates over the front window to prevent damage........you're fighting a human wave, so there's really not much in that situation, since the sidewalk and the street are just a couple feet from the storefront, you can't deny access.

Now if this were in the center of a large parking lot, one could arm oneself and a small security team with loudspeakers and Pepper Foggers and warn anyone that they are trespassing, and anyone who approaches the building will be subject to exposure to irritant spray.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
No need for over-kill! That would put the police in the same category with the rioters... nobody wants that.

I wouldn't justify lethal force......just order the street cleared and then start pepper spraying and busting the heads of anyone who doesn't clear the streets.......Ask....Tell.....Make.........

Latest Discussions