Dennis Kucinich takes on Media Conglomeration

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey everyone ... now ... I never would have expected to find myself visiting the Dennis Kucinich for President website ... as a New Hampshire-ite ... I have two next-door neighbors that are at the top of the list of candidates .... but then I read an article about how during the debate last week, Kucinich challenged Koppel on media conglomeration, and how ABC News seems to be functioning as the first primary. Anyhow ... one click led to another ... and I found this, shall we say interesting, post on the Kucinich website .... Hmmm

Mike

Dear Sensei:

I am writing to let all the Aikido practitioners in our area know about a presidential candidate whose leadership style embodies the principles of Aikido.

In the 70s, I studied under Atkinson Sensei in Southern California. I remember learning to harmonize with the energy direction of an attack and then to redirect it, which turned out to have a great many applications in daily life. My own success in practicing verbal Aikido was intermittent, but I did manage to reduce hostility and bad energy in my life to the
extentthat I was successful at it.

Last Friday I saw a performance that certainly deserves an honorary shodan rank in the category Aikido in Daily Life. Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich spoke at the University of Washington. There was a small band of Republican hecklers chanting 'Four more years, four more years, four more years,' as he walked to the podium. He urged them to chant louder, and joined in. They tired of the sport quickly, then Kucinich asked his supporters if they really wanted four more years of war, four more years of homeless people on the streets or four more years without universal health insurance. Each time, the crowd roared: 'No!'

Harmony, redirection.

http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20031108/frontpage/144104.shtml

This is the sort of leadership our country needs, a peaceful warrior who understands that respect and compassion for adversaries doesn't mean that you have to take crap from them. Who will work to eliminate the weapons of mass destruction poverty, unemployment, lack of health care. Who knows that pre-emptive war is a distraction from fighting terror, who exhorts his fellow citizens to hope rather than manipulating them through fear.

Please consider supporting and endorsing the Kucinich candidacy. If you would like more information, check the national website www.kucinich.us, the state website www.kucinich-washington.org (206-633-6068), or contact me directly.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kucinich reminds me of Paul Wellstone. Very admirable. Unfortunately, if he became too popular, he too would have his "crash." I hate politics. I may be going to the primary caucus and I may put my support behind him anyway. He's a good guy.

M

MisterMike

Hey Mike,

I hear Kerry is heading to Peterborough tomorrow. That's in your neck of the woods. You going?

On another note, taking on the media is very reminiscent of what Nader had to go through in 2000 when they wouldn't let him into the debates.

WOW, doesn't the fairness and objectivity just stand out soo much? Naaaa, we don't have a big media problem. :rolleyes:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nader would have smoked Bush and blown Gore all over the place. It would have been great. So much for a "free society."

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike
Hey Mike,
I hear Kerry is heading to Peterborough tomorrow. That's in your neck of the woods. You going?

No, I won't be going. I'm a Massachusetts native, even voted for Kerry on a couple of occassions. He's thoughtful, educated on the issues, and experienced. The only reason I can see that he is doing so poorly, is the fact that he voted away his responsibility in Congress last year. The amazing thing was ... last spring ... some Kerry people were canvassing my neighborhood ... I explained to them why I was supporting Dean, and they told me that I should really consider voting for someone who had a chance of winning / beating Bush. I guess I was disappointed that my feelings never seemed to make it back to the candidate. Obviously, Dean's place in the primary has shown there are a lot of people who were feeling the same way I was last spring. Somebody should have noticed.

Being in New Hampshire, I've had lots of opportunities to meet with all the major candidates over the last year. I still haven't taken advantage of any of them.

On another note, taking on the media is very reminiscent of what Nader had to go through in 2000 when they wouldn't let him into the debates.
WOW, doesn't the fairness and objectivity just stand out soo much? Naaaa, we don't have a big media problem. :rolleyes:

Yeah ... The article I read about Kucinich pretty much made the same point ... Basically, Koppel wanted Kucinich, Sharpton and Mosely-Brawn to get out of the race to make it easier on the media. Of course, the media overwhelmingly supports the Republocrats ... so either Bush or Gore is fine, just as long as it is one of them. I think that is why there have been so many stories about Dean being a lunatic from Vermont ... he is pretty much an unknown to the media .. they're nervous ... but even Dean will be a safer bet than Nader.

Mike

P.S. I still can't figure out why Gore performed so badly in those debates .... man, it was ugly. Although, I think Nader is not as sharp as he once was either.

Latest Discussions