Guy takes on rioters. Guess what happens.

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is a lot of footage from the Vancouver riots.

Below is a video of one man who got beat up by the crowd for trying
to protect a store.

http://www.realradio.fm/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=425022&article=8715092

This was a completely avoidable situation. He is not a LEO and he does not even have the proper equipment to deal with them. Just walk away and let the LEOs and the insurance companies take care of this.

Already there is a campaign to find rioters.

http://vancityriotcriminals.tumblr.com/post/6590610293

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a lot of footage from the Vancouver riots.

Below is a video of one man who got beat up by the crowd for trying
to protect a store.

http://www.realradio.fm/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=425022&article=8715092

This was a completely avoidable situation. He is not a LEO and he does not even have the proper equipment to deal with them. Just walk away and let the LEOs and the insurance companies take care of this.

http://vancityriotcriminals.tumblr.com/post/6590610293
Seems to me the guy was trying to perform his civic duty though he's not a cop he is trying to protect what is very important in an upset crowd... order.
Once things start getting broken and people get their blood up... cities burn.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll give him credit for trying to do the right thing. However I think he should have know it was a no win situation . There are times when the best intentions perhaps should not be follow through for the sake of ones health

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just walk away and let the LEOs and the insurance companies take care of this.

I just want to add one thing. If Canada is like the US, insurance has a set of circumstances that they do not cover. One of them is 'acts of civil disorder'. That's what a riot it. Insurance will not cover ANYTHING. Not the cars damaged, not the stores looted, none of it. For individuals that have car payments on a car that got overturned and burned, they are stuck making the payments on a car they no longer own. The insurance company will not pay them for the damages.

This happened in Denver years ago during the Stanley Cup playoffs as well. The private property that was damaged was not insured. People think it is, but it isn't.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just want to add one thing. If Canada is like the US, insurance has a set of circumstances that they do not cover. One of them is 'acts of civil disorder'. That's what a riot it. Insurance will not cover ANYTHING. Not the cars damaged, not the stores looted, none of it. For individuals that have car payments on a car that got overturned and burned, they are stuck making the payments on a car they no longer own. The insurance company will not pay them for the damages.

This happened in Denver years ago during the Stanley Cup playoffs as well. The private property that was damaged was not insured. People think it is, but it isn't.

Seems they need to halt the Stanley Cup then... because if folks can't handle losing then they shouldn't play. And if they can't handle their teams losing then they need to grow the hell up.

It's all JUST A GAME!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems they need to halt the Stanley Cup then... because if folks can't handle losing then they shouldn't play. And if they can't handle their teams losing then they need to grow the hell up.

It's all JUST A GAME!

I absolutely agree. I love hockey. That said, it is a game. What does it mean in the entire scheme of things? Absolutely nothing.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I supposing the guys preventing the damage to the stores felt a civic duty and responsibility to protect their city, and where effective in reducing the amount of damage while not being attacked. The civic disorder was far from a serious "riot" or violence allowing for these guys to protect the stores from further property damage. I applaud them for their efforts.

The guy who had members of the crowd turn on him did make a mistake, agreed. What was avoidable as I see it, was his aggression toward those in the crowd. Those in the crowd who where damaging property where not aggressive toward the other guys who didn't provoke the crowd. In this instance, yes, the guy provoked the crowd, thereby, overstepped his civic duty in to area for LEOs. But like the other guys, he too had a sense to protect his city from an attack. That is commendable.

I think people should not abandon their civic duty (or over step it) assuming other people like LEO's to deal with the situation.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's all JUST A GAME!
Most times it is the winning teams that have their fans go out of control, not the losing team.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
If martial arts has taught me one thing, it's that fighting one person is unsure and difficult, fighting two is highly dangerous and should only be done when absolutely necessary, and fighting three or more is suicide. The only way you win against a crowd is through sheer ferocity that ends up cowing them, a psychological victory. If that doesn't work, you're a goner. Not even a gun will protect you if the crowd is completely wild. If this guy had any choice at all, he shouldn't have engaged. Definitely not without weapons.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One thing I'm unclear on--was that man the store owner?

Speculation--how differently things might have turned out if this had been Texas!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Winning or losing, they still need to grow the hell up.

I know this would never happen, but wouldn't it be great if the city in question would simply suspend the team in question for a year? Just say "Due to fan violence, we are not going to have a season next year. If you participated in the violence this year, this is YOUR FAULT. We will re-evaluate next year, but if the the violence continues, we will stop all professional athletic performances in our city in perpetuity. Grow up, citizens, or you get nothing."

I know I'm dreaming. But I'd still love to see it happen.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The "guy" was foolish to put himself in such a dangerous situation - vs a bunch of young punks with bad attitudes and bully like behaviour... it was just a matter of time before they gangged up on him - I'm surprised it took so lond.

SUPER MAN - SYNDROME ! :piratedan:pirates:

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I never knew that. Do you work in insurance? That is bad news for those businesses and the car owners.

The guy's heart was in the right place but this was really dangerous for him to do. No argument there.It is interesting though that what got him in trouble was when in charged into the crowd. He was fine when his back was to the store.

The guys that attacked him from behind, it looks they came in just as he charged in so they might have not known he was trying to keep the crowd back.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If martial arts has taught me one thing, it's that fighting one person is unsure and difficult, fighting two is highly dangerous and should only be done when absolutely necessary, and fighting three or more is suicide. The only way you win against a crowd is through sheer ferocity that ends up cowing them, a psychological victory. If that doesn't work, you're a goner. Not even a gun will protect you if the crowd is completely wild. If this guy had any choice at all, he shouldn't have engaged. Definitely not without weapons.

Bingo + infinity.

You don't fight crowds. Not even the police fight crowds. They hang out on the edges and wait for the violence to die down, then they move in with massive overwhelming force. And weapons.

You run. It's all you can do. You don't try to be a hero. You don't try to "do the right thing." You live to fight another day.

There is such a thing as overwhelming odds. One man versus an entire riot? He's lucky he survived.

-Rob

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
well I guess we need to bring back the old riot act. there was a reading of it and a time limit set. at the end of that the police were authorized deadly force.

the way it went was the cops would read out " this is an unlawful assembly in violation of others rights and property, disperse in the next ( fill in the blank of minutes.) or we will be forced to open fire!!"

then as this was the last resort, they would use marching fire with ... yes you guessed it, RIOT SHOT GUNS! they would use buck shot loads. 00 and 000 loads. the result was lethal.

not the first resort to civil unrest, but the last. However if your looting and burning peoples cars... GET SHOT! I like it.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Car insurance in BC isn't in private hands. It's in the government hands of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC). Although ICBC insurance is rediculously overpriced, it is solid, vehicles will be covered. As for the property, I don't know.

I've bought car insurance in BC a few times, there were no 'civil disorder' exemptions.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As I watched it I kept waiting for the guy in the white shirt to get jumped. Surprise!

It wouldn't surprise me to see an interview of this guy somewhere in the next few days. I'm curious as to what he was was thinking. Probably not much.

It was encouraging to see how quickly the young good samaritans stepped in. He might have been a goner without them.

(Some of those comments are hilarious. AMERICANS STAY OUT OF CANADA ITS A WAR ZONE!!!!)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Car insurance in BC isn't in private hands. It's in the government hands of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC). Although ICBC insurance is rediculously overpriced, it is solid, vehicles will be covered. As for the property, I don't know.

I've bought car insurance in BC a few times, there were no 'civil disorder' exemptions.

I was curious, so I checked. You are right in that the ICBC comprehensive insurance does cover 'civil commotion or riots' (as they call it), but only if you purchase optional comprehensive coverage. Those whose cars are paid for need not purchase comprehensive coverage. I don't know about Canada, but in the USA, my car is so old that no insurance company will sell me 'full coverage' insurance. Liability only. In any case, US insurance excludes acts of civil disorder, so here it is not covered. Glad to hear it is - at least somewhat - in Canada.

It just galls me that they've interviewed some of these criminals who shrugged and said essentially "So what? They're insured, we're just having fun." No, you're freaking criminal scum, and you belong in prison being plooked violently by some guy named Rosco.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just some pondering:

Insurance costs business money. Getting paid out on a claim isn't for free. That cost is turned over to the consumer through higher prices.

I seen lots of photographers in the clip, where were the LEOs to stop it; were they too busy, etc?

The good Samaritans who where not attacked and prevented some damage, and those who saved the other guy bravo, kudos, applause.

The good Samaritan whose aggression got him attacked. Don't blame the victim too much, it is understandable he got emotional, he didn't throw the first punch. Remember he was trying to stop crime. Trying to protect his city.

The Vandals had I.Q.s right around Chimpanzees. What got me was it was early to mid-teens both male and female also vandalizing, and too Chimpanzee off-spring.

Now with verifiable info on the insurance issue. I have a different view from letting the insurance company and the LEO's handling the situation, because of all of the above.

Latest Discussions