Gun Holster Reviews and opinions

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like many of you, I've tried a number of options

For leather, Erik at HBE Leatherworks does great stuff.
H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

For synthetic, I prefer StealthGear, particularly in the deep South with as hot as it gets. I've tried Aliengear, Comp-tac, etc. and I really like the StealthGear the best. It's comfortable the first time you wear it, and breathes like no other holster I've tried.
Stealth Gear USA | USA Made Concealable Holsters & Mag Carriers | Performance Concealed Carry Holsters Home Page

Last edited:
OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've tried a number of them as well, like many of you.

For leather, Erik at HBE Leatherworks does great stuff.
H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

For synthetic, I prefer StealthGear, particularly in the deep South with as hot as it gets. I've tried Aliengear, Comptac, etc. and I really like the StealthGear the best.
Stealth Gear USA | USA Made Concealable Holsters & Mag Carriers | Performance Concealed Carry Holsters Home Page

Will add those to my list to contact

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on companies to contact and request test holsters.

I'm thinking:

Aliengear
CrossBreed
Urban Carry
Brave Response
Concealment Solutions
Desantis

Any other brands ya'll would suggest?
Galco. When I carried, I rarely carried IWB (I don't like it, and if I ditched the gun and holster because I wasn't allowed to carry it into a location, my pants were too loose). Galco's Double Time (actually a previous product that was called "convertible" I think) was a good solution.

EDIT: Looks like Double Time isn't the IWB/OWB thing I thought it was. But I'm pretty sure it was a Galco holster.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Galco. When I carried, I rarely carried IWB (I don't like it, and if I ditched the gun and holster because I wasn't allowed to carry it into a location, my pants were too loose). Galco's Double Time (actually a previous product that was called "convertible" I think) was a good solution.

EDIT: Looks like Double Time isn't the IWB/OWB thing I thought it was. But I'm pretty sure it was a Galco holster.

I've got a Galco OWB for my Para P14-45. It's nice, but not nearly as comfortable as the AlienGear IWB, in my opinion. The difference may well be that if I can't carry my gun for some reason, I just remove the gun and leave the holster in place.
That's the only Galco I own (off the top of my head...) so I'm not saying anything about the full line.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a Galco OWB for my Para P14-45. It's nice, but not nearly as comfortable as the AlienGear IWB, in my opinion. The difference may well be that if I can't carry my gun for some reason, I just remove the gun and leave the holster in place.
That's the only Galco I own (off the top of my head...) so I'm not saying anything about the full line.
With IWB, leaving the holster in place is more practical. With OWB, you’re still wearing a visible holster (if I took off my jacket, for instance). I never seemed to get around to having multiple holsters I liked (a bunch of crappy ones and one I liked), so the dual-purpose one suited me best. And ensured a more similar draw in the two positions.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With IWB, leaving the holster in place is more practical. With OWB, you’re still wearing a visible holster (if I took off my jacket, for instance). I never seemed to get around to having multiple holsters I liked (a bunch of crappy ones and one I liked), so the dual-purpose one suited me best. And ensured a more similar draw in the two positions.

My response to the idea that someone might see the holster is ‘so what?’ I’m not even all that concerned about the gun printing or my shirt moving and exposing the gun (like grabbing something off a shelf). There is no place in the US where wearing an empty holster is a problem. When I fly domestically, I pack my gun as required by the idiots in the TSA, but I wear the holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My response to the idea that someone might see the holster is ‘so what?’ I’m not even all that concerned about the gun printing or my shirt moving and exposing the gun (like grabbing something off a shelf). There is no place in the US where wearing an empty holster is a problem. When I fly domestically, I pack my gun as required by the idiots in the TSA, but I wear the holster.

For me, it was partly a matter that I was sometimes heading to client sites, as well. Perception is a concern sometimes.

I never took my gun with me when traveling, except when I was driving - and sometimes not then, either. Just too many differences in laws along the way, and too many places I couldn't have it with me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me, it was partly a matter that I was sometimes heading to client sites, as well. Perception is a concern sometimes.

I never took my gun with me when traveling, except when I was driving - and sometimes not then, either. Just too many differences in laws along the way, and too many places I couldn't have it with me.

Maybe I’m less concerned with perception. It’s just a leather (or whatever) pocket with nothing in it. If commented upon, I might well take the opportunity to explain why it’s stupid to ban guns carried by licensed carriers.
As for travel, most states have reciprocity these days.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m less concerned with perception. It’s just a leather (or whatever) pocket with nothing in it. If commented upon, I might well take the opportunity to explain why it’s stupid to ban guns carried by licensed carriers.
As for travel, most states have reciprocity these days.

The issue with reciprocity for me was the differences in where carry is allowed, and how a location has to post notice that it isn’t. Even between Sc and NC, there’s a significant difference. In NC, it isn’t really worth having CCW, to me. Can’t carry anywhere alcohol is served, or admission is charged, and a host of other limitations, and any business can exclude weapons (and a surprising number do). When I lived in SC, remembering the (usually more restrictive) laws for all the different states I traveled to (at the time, nearly every week) was more than bothersome.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The issue with reciprocity for me was the differences in where carry is allowed, and how a location has to post notice that it isn’t. Even between Sc and NC, there’s a significant difference. In NC, it isn’t really worth having CCW, to me. Can’t carry anywhere alcohol is served, or admission is charged, and a host of other limitations, and any business can exclude weapons (and a surprising number do). When I lived in SC, remembering the (usually more restrictive) laws for all the different states I traveled to (at the time, nearly every week) was more than bothersome.

There's a readily available booklet that costs maybe $20, and is updated annually by an attorney who specializes in gun law that does a state-by-state breakdown. I get a copy every year and when we go on road trips I toss it in the car. Nothing to remember, since we just look up a state shortly before crossing the border.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a readily available booklet that costs maybe $20, and is updated annually by an attorney who specializes in gun law that does a state-by-state breakdown. I get a copy every year and when we go on road trips I toss it in the car. Nothing to remember, since we just look up a state shortly before crossing the border.
It was more difficult back then, of course. And in so many cases, where I wasn’t allowed to carry/possess covered (still does) much of where I’ll be.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, you guys sold me on Alien Gear IWB for my glock 20. Now I have to give it a try. Taking my CPL class next month. I was thinking about a chest rig since it's a bigger piece, but I always carry on my right hip in the woods and at the range ( also in the woods). Thought it best to keep everything in the same area. Tried changing where I wore my tool pouch once, couldn't grab the right knife without fumbling or looking first.

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, you guys sold me on Alien Gear IWB for my glock 20. Now I have to give it a try. Taking my CPL class next month. I was thinking about a chest rig since it's a bigger piece, but I always carry on my right hip in the woods and at the range ( also in the woods). Thought it best to keep everything in the same area. Tried changing where I wore my tool pouch once, couldn't grab the right knife without fumbling or looking first.

You're in Michigan it looks like, so it might not matter so much, but I found the StealthGear to be every bit as comfortable as the AlienGear out of the box, but you don't get the accumulation of sweat behind it. It's obviously up to you, but I thought I would mention it.

Cheers!

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
KCXfktz.jpg

So after 10 days wearing it, I really like it.

It is comfortable in the 4 o'clock position but even as the leather backing is breaking in it is still uncomfortable at the 3 o'clock position (Leather backing digs into my leg when sitting).

I haven't changed the position (high to low) of it and it is still in the high position. I like it there as it's easy to get a good grip while drawing....also with the leather backing you don't feel the gun in the holster but in the high position its easy to inconspicuously bump it with your elbow to check and make sure its still there (yeah, I'm paranoid like that).

What I really like is that it is tight against you and because of that it conceals really well. 5 days at Mardi Gras and no one seemed to notice it....even in the sea of people on Bourbon Street bumping up against me. Also, although it is only a friction retention holster its tight enough to retain the gun in the holster while running and in scuffles.

Again, its comfortable....I was wearing it 16-17 hours a day with no problems.

Coup De Grâce

White Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion there is no such thing as a perfectly safe holster. This being said I believe that the primary problem with Blackhawk SERPA holsters is the outstanding lack of proper trigger finger control that is often exhibited by novices. I carry two primary types of holsters: A friction lock, Blade-Tech, custom Kydex holster that's mounted on a single-point Tek-Loc clasp. Because I'm ambidextrous I'm able to wear the same holster either IWB, or OTB on opposite sides of my body. In more than 50 years of doing these things, the worst — and I do mean the worst — holster accident I ever had involved losing my footing, falling forward, and catching the butt of my pistol on top of the arm of a nearby chair.

As I fell that chair's arm acted as a lever, and pulled my fully charged (C-0) Glock out of my Blade-Tech friction lock holster, and sent my gun flying across the room! The pistol didn't spin; and there was no rotational torque, at all. It was just a straight forward fall from less than 3 feet up in the air; and it landed on a hard linoleum-covered concrete floor. Happily (and under the described circumstances) that Glock lived up to the advertising copy, and (unlike the HUD tests) didn't accidentally discharge. Still, it could have; and all this from a freak accident that nobody ever saw coming. Needless to say this event, kind of, cooled me off from carrying anybody's friction lock holster.

For the past five years I've frequently found myself carrying and using a SERPA holster. It is true that any sort of blockage underneath the release lever will prevent that lever from moving; and the pistol is not going to come out of the holster; but, the judicious use of a Dremel Tool can go a long way toward getting the pistol to release with no more than a strong tug. What I really dislike about SERPA holsters is the demonstrable fact that far too many people do NOT know how to keep their trigger finger straight during the draw — the complete draw!

Handgun shooting novices and/or pistoleros who are under significant time pressure have a tendency to release the lock — not with a perfectly straight and flat index finger, but — with a somewhat curled trigger finger which is allowed to drag up the side of the holster, and ...... Bang! Off goes a negligent (not an accidental) discharge. Know what? In a good five years of use something like this has never happened to me; but, then again, I've always had scrupulously correct straight trigger finger control. A lot of other shooters don't understand when I say this; but, after having been shot three times, I have an almost instinctive fear of and a good healthy respect for guns.

When it comes to all firearms I never forget; and I never make any sort of careless mistakes. My proprioceptive reflexes are very well trained; and, regardless of whatever holster I'm wearing, a handling mistake is less likely to happen. (Not impossible, mind you, but less likely to occur. I am also a firearms instructor. Do I allow pistol students to use SERPA holsters? No, I do not. If, however, I've got an experienced shooter (like, say, an Army Ranger) on the firing line with a SERPA on his hip, I'll watch him for awhile; and if I don't see any 'red flags' then I'm fine with that particular shooter using a SERPA.

A Blackhawk SERPA holster is not an easy device to use; and a lot of drawing experience with a handgun is required; but — level III holsters excluded, and in the right hands — a SERPA holster is no more, or less dangerous than any other holster. A healthy amount of personal caution and respect for the weapon is always a prerequisite to all safe gun handling. I always caution students not to focus on the speed of the draw; focus, instead, upon removing a pistol correctly from the holster. Speed comes with frequent use and familiarity; and it should be allowed to develop, naturally, as a direct consequence of regular practice and repeated use.

Personally, I won't be giving up either my friction locked Blade-Tech, or my SERPA holsters. Along with an acquire knowledge of what can, or might, go wrong I simply maintain a good healthy respect (or 'fear', if you will) of all firearms and related equipment. I handle numerous guns and equipment all day long, day after day after day; and it's a personal safety attitude like this that has kept me out of trouble for many years now. It's not the gun; it's not the holster; it's the shooter, instead; and, yes, some sort of freak accident can always occur — So never relax, and never let your guard down!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Coup. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one who checked from time to time to make sure it hadn't magically fallen out.
Very normal habit... and a wonderful tell to look for if you're trying to see who's armed around you...

Latest Discussions