Guitar anyone?

Stuey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Any guitar weildin warriors out there? I been playing about 16 years. Got myself a 7 string Ibanez xiphos, and a Boss GT10. I dont have time for a band at the moment, it would be nice in the future though. I you play then what style do you play?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Use to

Had an old Guild electric and an old Peavey electric. I played for about 16 years and stopped and started playing classical... I have an old Takemine classical and I played that for about 7 years and stopped.... no idea why I just did. About 4 years ago I got rid of the Guild and got an Alvarez Steel string acoustic and I still don't play much. Every now and then I pick up the classical and play a bit, sound terrible and get discouraged and quit and I do the same with the steel string as well.

I can't play like I use to but one of these days I am going to go back to the classical but I have to find finger picks that are worth a damn since I simply can't stand long nails any longer. That or I have to get to the level of Fernando Sor (he played with finger tips) and that is not bloody likely.

As to band I was in one many years ago but it went no where and I really have no desire to get into one again

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Stuey,

Well, where to start? Been playing about 16 or 17 years now, drums for another 3 years before that as well. My list of gear is as follows:

Electrics - Parker Fly Deluxe; PRS Santana SE; Ibanez RG-7 string; J&D Luthiers 7 string; Danelectro Baritone Semi-hollowbody; Vester Semi-hollowbody Telecaster copy (with piezo pickups in the bridge); and a Washburn 5 string bass.

Acoustics - Monterey 12 string; Ibanez 7 string acoustic; Ovation 6 string Celebrity Deluxe; Ovation 12 string Celebrity Deluxe; Ovation 6 string Viper Semi-hollow; Ovation Mandolin; Ovation Celebrity Deluxe Double Neck.

Amp - Line6 FlextoneII 2x10 combo, Line6 Basspod (run through a) SWR LA15 Bass combo.

A few various pedals, Digitech Whammy-Wah, most effects through the Line6's.

I play anything from current hits, older tunes (Simon and Garfunkel, The Doors etc) through to Korn, Tool and more. If it has guitar, I'll have a go, I guess!

Oh, and the drums are a bit more extreme that this...

OP
S

Stuey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Use to

Had an old Guild electric and an old Peavey electric. I played for about 16 years and stopped and started playing classical... I have an old Takemine classical and I played that for about 7 years and stopped.... no idea why I just did. About 4 years ago I got rid of the Guild and got an Alvarez Steel string acoustic and I still don't play much. Every now and then I pick up the classical and play a bit, sound terrible and get discouraged and quit and I do the same with the steel string as well.

I can't play like I use to but one of these days I am going to go back to the classical but I have to find finger picks that are worth a damn since I simply can't stand long nails any longer. That or I have to get to the level of Fernando Sor (he played with finger tips) and that is not bloody likely.

As to band I was in one many years ago but it went no where and I really have no desire to get into one again

Well keep it up! Attack it with the passion you would show your training and you CAN achieve anything.
Hey Stuey,

Well, where to start? Been playing about 16 or 17 years now, drums for another 3 years before that as well. My list of gear is as follows:

Electrics - Parker Fly Deluxe; PRS Santana SE; Ibanez RG-7 string; J&D Luthiers 7 string; Danelectro Baritone Semi-hollowbody; Vester Semi-hollowbody Telecaster copy (with piezo pickups in the bridge); and a Washburn 5 string bass.

Acoustics - Monterey 12 string; Ibanez 7 string acoustic; Ovation 6 string Celebrity Deluxe; Ovation 12 string Celebrity Deluxe; Ovation 6 string Viper Semi-hollow; Ovation Mandolin; Ovation Celebrity Deluxe Double Neck.

Amp - Line6 FlextoneII 2x10 combo, Line6 Basspod (run through a) SWR LA15 Bass combo.

A few various pedals, Digitech Whammy-Wah, most effects through the Line6's.

I play anything from current hits, older tunes (Simon and Garfunkel, The Doors etc) through to Korn, Tool and more. If it has guitar, I'll have a go, I guess!

Oh, and the drums are a bit more extreme that this...
Oh wow, you have got some gear! I have a wife who eats money, I also have an RG prestige, but its 6 strings. Wanted a 7 with a floating trem but I didnt wanna order long distance for something I might not like. I have been taking internet lessons from a guy called Tom Hess. He is very knowledgable. I would say that my level of playing should be much further than it is, although I aint bad. Good ear development, improvisation skills. Need work on speed improv n theory on the fly. I would love to be able to do drums. I find it much easier doing 1 thing with 2 hands rather than 4 or more different things with 4 limbs though.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's taken me years of being single to get all that... And drums were first because I didn't need to worry about notes or scales! But a kit is hard to drag around from party to party to impress young ladies, so guitar it was!

OP
S

Stuey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's taken me years of being single to get all that... And drums were first because I didn't need to worry about notes or scales! But a kit is hard to drag around from party to party to impress young ladies, so guitar it was!
Its hard work carrying around all those drums. I guess in terms ease it is easy to play drums bad, but to play them good takes a different kind of skill than guitar. Guitar has loads of street cred though. It just looks cool!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been making music since I was a litle kid. Started out at violin at age 5....gave that up after a couple of years. Then played piano off and on for awhile before getting serious. Started a band, made a run at rock and roll stardom....found out I needed to get good. Went to music school. Upon graduation, took up guitar (got a Gibson Epiphone dreadnought acoustic as a grad gift). Been playing around withthat since 1998. Started taking lessons again when my wife bought me some as a Christmas gift. I'm learning more about improvisatin (rock, blues, jazz) as opposed to just playing chords and Rythm guitar.

Just bought myself an Ibanez electric....it's soooo sweet. I huge step up form the cheapy fender nockoff I was playing around with (got it in one of those packs with guitar, amp, strap and tuner...199.99)....anyway, it's such a treat to have a "big boy" guitar now to go along with the gibson acoustic. Hoping to get back into songwriting as well. Too little time, too many hobbies.

Peace,
Erik

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been playing about 14 years now too. I also restore old guitars as a hobby.

I've got:
Jackson PS4 - Pickups replaced with Dimarzio Tone Zone and PAF
Carvin DC125 - Restored
Carvin DC200
Carvin DC400 - Special pointy head edition
Line 6 Spider 2
Behringer V-Amp 2
Morley Volume
Morley Wah

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My son has been taking lessons for about 18 months and is doing quite well. I took guitar lessons for about 6 months, have an Ibenez, but as much as I love the guitar, drums are my passion. I would love to learn how to play the drums.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh what the heck. ;)

I have a Charvel electric, and a Takamine acoustic. For amps I have a Mesa Boogie Mark III combo, a Gallien Kruger, and a 2x12 Silvertone that I restored.

And a bloody expensive piece of paper.......... :lfao:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been playing on and off for about thirty years now.

I have a passion for the Blues but oddly only have one electric guitar, a custom-made Gordon Smith SG (widely acclaimed by Gibson to be about the best there is). A couple of Marshall valve-state amps complete the 'loud' section :D. Effects pedals? Sorry, I don't understand :confused: :lol:.

I have a pair of Crafter FX550EQ's semi-acoustics and a pair of EKO Rio Grandes (irreplaceable and fabulous).

Clint Franklin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I got the guitar bug a few years back. I wanted to learn an instrument, and that was my first choice. Of course, my fingertips were a little big, and my fingers themselves round, so I was horrible playing rhythm, although I got to where I could play a little lead.

Of course, I wound up trading my electric guitar for an old Korg Triton keyboard workstation. Keyboard seems to be "my instrument" more so than guitar, although I still have an acoustic guitar I like to pick up now and then. :)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got the guitar bug a few years back. I wanted to learn an instrument, and that was my first choice. Of course, my fingertips were a little big, and my fingers themselves round, so I was horrible playing rhythm, although I got to where I could play a little lead.

Of course, I wound up trading my electric guitar for an old Korg Triton keyboard workstation. Keyboard seems to be "my instrument" more so than guitar, although I still have an acoustic guitar I like to pick up now and then. :)

Korg makes excellent keyboards. My old Korg o1w/pro x workstation (pre -usb...takes 3.5" floppy discs) still performs like a champ.

Peace,
Erik

Clint Franklin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Korg makes excellent keyboards. My old Korg o1w/pro x workstation (pre -usb...takes 3.5" floppy discs) still performs like a champ.

Yeah, sounds like my Triton. It has a floppy disk drive, and even a slot for an expansion board that will let you use SCSI devices like CD burners and hard drives. Nowadays, workstations will come with a USB port and/or a built-in CD burner... but at least I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg. :)

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Got to grade 4 classical,then took up electric.

The gear,

Ramirez R2 Classical guitar (really sweet guitar)

Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette

Fender Stratocaster.

A couple of Boss over drive and distortion pedals, Peavey 30 watt amp and a Dunlop Crybaby, the Hendrix model.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Peace,
Erik
Oh man I thought I was bad with a Trinity [it is 88key weighted mind, I just use it to run VSTs off the computer] and but the 01W that is true old skool! All its sounds are coming back in favour now too!! Yay I love my Korgie haha..

Yeah, sounds like my Triton. It has a floppy disk drive, and even a slot for an expansion board that will let you use SCSI devices like CD burners and hard drives. Nowadays, workstations will come with a USB port and/or a built-in CD burner... but at least I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg. :)

Oh boy the amount of bustedass SCSI drives I went through off of ebay before I got just one to work with the Trinity man.. [and those little dip switch things on the connectors and stuff I mean what is that about???] Yes the kids of today with their USBs pffft they have an easy life haha.. Now in MY day!!

On topic, guitars I just have a totally plain vanilla Yamaha acoustic and an electric that is so old I do not even think the company exist any more haha: Westone Prestige 227.. I do not think it would even get much on ebay else I would sell it?? I play what I can sing, my tabs list would run from Hotel California to True Colors to Purple Haze to Under the Bridge, that is one of my party pieces haha, I play a lot of Muse too, that kind of thing, whatever I can get my voice around :)

Some of you guys are total gadget fiends!!

Jenna x

Latest Discussions