GSP vs. Hughes III

Spinback

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think this is the right forum for this... if not, please bear with me, I'm new :D

I follow UFC fairly avidly, and I'm more psyched for the GSP-Hughes rubber match than I have been for any fight in a long time (probably since the last time they met). Does anyone have any thoughts on this fight, or predictions?

After a lot of thought I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say GSP wins via TKO in the first round. Not a common sentiment, but I've got my reasons for believing it. As soon as someone disagrees I'll post my thoughts on that.

IMHO, this fight is going to be so much better than Hughes-Serra could have possibly been. Despite the rivalry in TUF, Hughes and St-Pierre have a bigger rivalry, bigger history, and definitely a bigger score to settle.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would love to watch tonights UFC event but I'll be watching the Giants/Patriots game at a friend's house, we are having a party for the game.

My thing is, why pay to watch the UFC when there's something even more awesome (in my opinion) on TV for free?

Either way, I hope George wins. My other picks are Machida and Silva.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
GSP should dominate and destroy Hughes. I would be shocked if it went the other way.
icon6.gif

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to watch tonights UFC event but I'll be watching the Giants/Patriots game at a friend's house, we are having a party for the game.

My thing is, why pay to watch the UFC when there's something even more awesome (in my opinion) on TV for free?

Either way, I hope George wins. My other picks are Machida and Silva.

Some friends and I are going to a BW3 as they have UFC and the Sports games on the big screens. So we get to watch BOTH!

YEAH US! :highfive:
:surfer: :wavey: :boing1: :p :drink2tha :2xbird: :ladysman: :bangahead: :drinkbeer :pinky1:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds cool man, but where I'm concerned if it's football or fighting it needs my full attention. Can't be watching 2 at a time, you always miss something important that way.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds cool man, but where I'm concerned if it's football or fighting it needs my full attention. Can't be watching 2 at a time, you always miss something important that way.

Instant replay is a great friend. But I understand your point. But half the group wants to watch one and the other half wants to watch the other. So we decided to compromise. ;) :D

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm hoping GSP will win but Hughes has been pissed for a while and he wants revenge.

OP
Spinback

Spinback

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh man what a sick fight! If I remember correctly, GSP took Hughes down into side control, got a backwards inverted triangle on then shifted to a kimura, then to an arm bar, then to an upside down armbar that he cinched so tight Hughes couldn't eve tap out, he had to do it verbally. WILD!

IMHO St-Pierre is the future of UFC and MMA. He'll steamroll Serra if that guy ever gets better and do the same to anyone they put him up against.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you missed the fight here is a very raw home shot with lots of background noise of the final minutes of the fight!

[yt]mEC4ujet1Tc[/yt]

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Damn! Another good fight. I could not find this UFC carried anywhere up here and I don't have cable!

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did anyone else think that the look on Hughes' face after the first round was, "oh crap I'm finished"? Matt Hughes last couple fights he just hasn't seemed like he's all that interested in being there, just the way it looks to me anyway.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that may have been Hughes last fight. If not you probably can say he has only 1-2 fights left. GSP fought a very good fight and will destroy Serra or at least I hope he does.

Reaction score
He'll steamroll Serra if that guy ever gets better and do the same to anyone they put him up against.

Remeber though that Serra is a BJJ guy so it'll be a lot harder to "steamroll" him on the ground. I pretty much saw the fight going the same way if Serra would have fought Hughes. Serra's striking has improved as well, even though we really didn't get to see it the first time when he hit GSP in the head and dropped him.

OP
Spinback

Spinback

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Remeber though that Serra is a BJJ guy so it'll be a lot harder to "steamroll" him on the ground. I pretty much saw the fight going the same way if Serra would have fought Hughes. Serra's striking has improved as well, even though we really didn't get to see it the first time when he hit GSP in the head and dropped him.

While I agree Serra will be harder (that's if he recoveres. A herniated disc is no picnic) I don't think he can stand up to the new GSP. GSP might not be able to submit Serra but I think he'll own him on the feet and take him down from ground'n'pound.

GSP has now dominated both Josh Koscheck and Matt Hughes (two of the best ground fighters in the welterweight division) on the ground, and he's just going to get better. Already his BJJ is seamless and I don't think he's got the blackbelt yet. While Serra is taking it easy on his back Georges will be getting back into BJJ, wrestling and muay tai class.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This fight and the Liddell/Silva fight lived up to the hype. Great fight...GSP just str8 dominated Hughes.

I thought with Hughes strength he would be a lil harder to take down but GSP had no problems at all especially with the last takedown before Hughes verbally tapped.

Latest Discussions