Growing Up with Bruce by Todd Hester

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct spot to post this interview. Please move this thread if I'm wrong.

Source: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ray.d8/article4.html

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]To most, Diana Inosanto had a storybook childhood. Hanging with Uncle Bruce, playing with friend Brandon. But according to Dan’s youngest daughter, you can’t always judge a book by its cover. [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]

There is a certain, undeniable magic to the Inosanto name. Forever linked to martial arts, the name conjures up images of loyalty, tragedy, rebirth, and perseverance. Diana Inosanto is a worthy and courageous bearer of that famed name. The talented daughter of father Dan, one of Bruce Lee’s most intimate and trusted students, and one of those responsible for spreading the legacy of Bruce Lee’s teachings throughout the world, Diana is a first-person witness to the Bruce Lee legend.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]A childhood playmate of Brandon Lee, Diana Inosanto has a unique insight and perspective into martial arts’ most compelling story. A successful stuntwoman who is now getting noticed for her theatrical work, Diana Inosanto is just starting to scratch the surface of her professional potential.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]But Diana’s own life has been far from fairy-tale perfect. Woven into the grand tapestry of this martial arts saga are her own personal struggles to overcome childhood ethnic prejudice, deal with family tragedy, and find her own identity. Through it all, she displayed the humor, bravery, and resilience that indelibly mark her as an Inosanto. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]IKF: You are Dan Inosanto’s daughter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]DIANA INOSANTO: Yes, I am (laughs). It wouldn’t do me any good to deny it and I wouldn’t want to.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]IKF: Is that how people first think of you when they meet you?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]DI: Well, yeah, obviously, when people see my last name, especially martial artists, that’s the first comment I get. I’ve learned from the time that I was a little girl that there’s always two people, actually three now, that I’ll always be asked about: my father, Bruce Lee, and now Brandon. Particularly with my father, people identify me with him – especially in the entertainment field. It has been kind of difficult because I’ve always wanted to have my own separate identity. For instance, when I first started in the entertainment field, I never, ever wanted to do martial arts. I didn’t want to have anything to do with it because I wanted to be my own person. But now that I’m older I’ve found that I appreciate being Dan Inosanto’s daughter because it has helped open doors for me. But more than that, I’ve learned to appreciate his abilities and talents more – and appreciate him as a father. But I think that’s typical of any parent/child relationship. We tend to appreciate our parents as we grow up and go through the things they went through.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]IKF: Are your earliest memories of being around martial arts?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]DI: Oh, my God, 24 hours a day. I couldn’t escape it. It was everywhere. I almost hate to say that, because a lot of people tell me, "You were so lucky to be around martial arts from such a young age — that must have been great." I just tell them, "Trust me, 24 hours a day of anything can get really tiring; especially for a kid." For example, I would want to play with my Barbie dolls and my dad would tell me, "No, hit the focus mitt." I was like, "C’mon, Dad, I want to play." I have memories like that from four years old. My mom would just roll her eyes and say, "Dan, let her play with her dolls." So some of my earliest memories are of having arguments with my father, demanding that I get some playtime with my toys. It was more funny than mean between us, though, you know? He was just so enthusiastic about his training and teaching.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]For the complete article go to: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ray.d8/article4.html[/FONT]

Latest Discussions