Ground Fighting in TKD

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have heard that TKD has (or had) groundfighting.

I have come across two kicks from the ground. For the first one you are on your butt and kick up and forward in a front kick type motion. For the other you are on your side and kicking at the person in a side kick type motion.

What other techniques are there? What is TKDs Ground fighting philosphy? Any ground grappling?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
doc clean said:

I have come across two kicks from the ground. For the first one you are on your butt and kick up and forward in a front kick type motion. For the other you are on your side and kicking at the person in a side kick type motion.

What other techniques are there? What is TKDs Ground fighting philosphy? Any ground grappling?
Same techniques could be done with other kicks, for starters. Lying on your side, throw a roundhouse or hook kick.

If you are down on all fours, kick back and up with a back kick.

OP
A

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:

We do that one for leg/butt strengthening :)
That is what we use the side kick version for too.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
doc clean said:

I learned ground kicks at one TKD school I attended (I even broke with one in a tourny). Like it was already mentioned, there are different ground kicks.

We don't "grapple" in my TKD school, now, but we do have a few ground defenses. But that's about it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:

We do that one for leg/butt strengthening :)
ya see it in the gyms all the time. Ankle weights and all!!

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The extent of my ground fighting training in TKD isthe various positions (mount, guard, side mount, etc.), how to change into other positions, basic escapses, and basic submissions.

In reality, I probably couldn't submit someone on the ground. When the training has done for me is gotten me comfortable on the ground, comfortable with fighting on my back, and knowledge on how get out of positions. If I was taken to the ground I would probably still use TKD techniques, mainly elbow strikes and pressure points, until I could work my way out to a top position or be able to stand. Ground and pound I believe the term is.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Don't TKD schools often add Hapkido for reasons like this?
Some, others use it as a buzzword to teach what was already in the curriculum, and others use it as just one more hook to draw in students, whether they teach that type of material or not.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, my organization collaborates with Master Geoff Booth out of Australia for our hapkido training. He usually travels here a couple times a year and teaches a couple days worth of seminars each time. We also occasionally teach some of his concepts as rank requirements. But joint locking, throwing, and some( read: little) ground work was there long before we started partnering with him.

On a side note, if you get a chance to see him in action, take it. He's fun and has some great workouts.

OP
A

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
The extent of my ground fighting training in TKD isthe various positions (mount, guard, side mount, etc.), how to change into other positions, basic escapses, and basic submissions.
Was this taught as part of the core curriculum or as an add-on?

OP
A

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
and some( read: little) ground work was there long before we started partnering with him.
Even if it is just a little ground work, can you share some examples?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Some, others use it as a buzzword to teach what was already in the curriculum
I suspected this was the case, but didn't know of a particular example. Some TKD schools seem to use "Hapkido" almost interchangeably with "self-defense techniques" so I wondered if they were just using it as an excuse to teach their own stuff.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Historically TKD has it's roots in Shotokan which does not. If instructors add it, and it is good stuff, then that is great. But historically it was never there in TKD.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Somewhat the same as Shu2jack, working striking on the ground, a joint lock here or there.

One of the things that shows up on our black belt tests, and in class now and again, is having to lie on your stomach with somebody on top of you and having to escape, using a bit of an "anything goes" mentality. Remember, in taekwondo the focus isn't going to be how to fight on the ground...it's going to be how to get off the ground as quickly as possible.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
IF anyone has any pics or especially CLIPS of TKD people exhibiting their "Ground work" I'd really like seeing it.
Thanks

Your Brother
John

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Early Taekwondo included cross training in Yu-sool (Judo with a few Korean innovations), but that is uncommon nowadays.

The "Hapkido=Self Defense in TKD" annoys me, because Hapkido punching and kicking techniques are often totall unlike those in TKD. I've trained Hapkido in two different organizations and their kicks were more like Taekkyon or Muay Thai and thier punches were relaxed and from a high guard -- never a chamber. But I've been led to believe that lots of US Hapkido is now TKD with joint locks instead. That's a pity, because HKS strikes are nice additions to a TKD skillset.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the brief snippets of HKD I've experienced, I also think that the various strikes as well as the joint locks are good. It's kind of a shame to remove those parts when adding to TKD.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've taken a few liberties with my own hoshinsul curriculum and tossed in a few guard sweeps, mount escapes, etc.

Latest Discussions