Grey Gi--Buy or Dye?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to dye their gi grey? If so, did it work well?
I can't seem to find one to buy, so if anyone has a link to buy one, please add it here.

AoG

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ArmorOfGod said:
Has anyone ever tried to dye their gi grey? If so, did it work well?
I can't seem to find one to buy, so if anyone has a link to buy one, please add it here.

AoG

Nope, never tried to dye a gi. Usually, over time, my solid black gis began to fade with the normal wear and washing.

Mike

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people bleaching their black ones, but I'd be worried about weakening the gi itself. :D

Tiger Claw sells an kenpo uniform that is stone-washed, so while it isn't grey it is further along the path than a regular new black uniform.

Lamont

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
My niece`s gi turned solid grey after she accidentially washed it together with some colored clothes. I called her the urban ninja until she bleached it and returned it to white :ninja:

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember a senior brown belt, later black belt, from when I was much younger wearing a grey century karate gi, but I don't remember where he got it and I'm pretty sure they don't make them. It definately was bought, though and not a dfluke of laundry.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you want a nice silver-grey color, best to buy a white one and dye it thoroughly, or request a company or someone to make a gi for you from grey fabric.

- Ceicei

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We special-ordered some grey uniforms and it was INCREDIBLY expensive for the cheap quality we received. I recommend getting a quality cotton uniform and dying it. Dye is fairly inexpensive and rather easy, really.

After you dye it , you'll want to soak it in diluted vinegar to help set the dye.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They used to make them however they do not any longer. I suggest getting a black gi and wearing it until its grey. Has some serious character that way. My last black gi was a shureido and when I finally discarded it after 12 years it was grey.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, in that case he could just stone wash a black uniform. What does it take to do that?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can always go buy a custom made grey gi. I know there are places that will make them for you. I prefer to let my black gis fade with use. I you decide you want it to be naturally worn you can drag it behind your car. Don't laugh, I know somebody that did that.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For what its worth, I'd retire that uniform & get a new one. Dying it seems like too hit or miss & a lot of hassle.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
Well, in that case he could just stone wash a black uniform. What does it take to do that?
Well, I wouldn't recommend doing this in your own washer, but:

1. Toss dogi into washer.
  2. Add laundry detergent and several good-sized river rocks.
  3. Insert ear-plugs
  4. Begin wash cycle.

:uhyeah:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My black gi has faded to a grey with normal use and washing. I recently bought another one and it is beginning to fade as well. Why grey?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In Hawaii alot of the Kajukenpo schools use GREY color gi's. You may want to contact a few schools for, where to order and prices.

We use black gi's..lots of martial art catalogs have them.

I have no numbers or contacts here on the BIG Island,most of the schools are in Oahu island. .....Aloha

Try searching: Kajukenpo

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Well, I wouldn't recommend doing this in your own washer, but:

1. Toss dogi into washer.
  2. Add laundry detergent and several good-sized river rocks.
  3. Insert ear-plugs
  4. Begin wash cycle.

:uhyeah:

And my wife would pull out her "Wife-Fu" and beat me to death with those river rocks.

Latest Discussions