grappling drills for strikers

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
for no reason what so ever i was asking myself what would be the best grappling drills for people who are primarily strikers. now for equally no reason, i'm going to post my thoughts.

1) sumo wrasslin'! designate an area, try to push each other out of it. if you can't push & be pushed without losing your balance, you're going to have a hard time staying on your feet in a fight. try to make your stance mirror your fighting stance.

2) guard-ups. in the real deal, if you do go to the ground your goal should be to get up as soon as possible. so train it! you're down with someone in your guard. his only goal is to hold you down. you're only goal is to stand up. there are no strikes, eye gouges, etc. you just have to learn how to wrestle your way out from under somebody. now once you've learned how to use your hands & feet at the same time, keep your back round, push your opponent's head off center & such, THEN you can add all the crazy throat ripping & eyeball biting. you'll just have better control of your opponent's body while you're doing it & be more efficient at standing up.

3) shove around. another balance drill. one guy stands with hands behind his back. the other guy tries to push or pull him down. don't shoot an actual leg attack, but push him around, grab his head in a thai clinch, pull him forward. you know, shove him around.

so there you go, striker purists. these are pretty simple drills you can do yourself & benefit from. you don't even have to tell anyone they came from a grappler :D

jf

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why didn't you post this a year ago? Here I thought that joining a hapkido class was the best segue into grappling.:p

Daniel

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
sorry man, i just joined in june!

jf

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
jarrod-I am going to have to make the trip up to L-town one of these days and work out with you. Even having trained on some mat work, my skills need some working with some grapplers.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
please do, PM me when you get a chance & we'll set it up!

jf

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I hope this isn't taken poorly. These and other drills are the best thing about helping the kids' classes. Well, that and sparring with the kids to pad my win/loss record.

These kinds of games are a hell of a lotta fun, are very helpful and we never do them in the adult classes.

Jarrod (and everyone else), I just want to echo what searcher said. I hope it goes without saying that I'd love to drop in and train with you all if I ever make it into the area. I do occasionally fly into KC for work, and would love to drop in for a class... show off my complete LACK of standup! :D

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this isn't taken poorly. These and other drills are the best thing about helping the kids' classes. Well, that and sparring with the kids to pad my win/loss record.

These kinds of games are a hell of a lotta fun, are very helpful and we never do them in the adult classes.

Jarrod (and everyone else), I just want to echo what searcher said. I hope it goes without saying that I'd love to drop in and train with you all if I ever make it into the area. I do occasionally fly into KC for work, and would love to drop in for a class... show off my complete LACK of standup! :D

They giveth and they taketh away.
icon7.gif
Anyway thanks, sometimes we need all the help we can get.
icon14.gif

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lifting- Similar to the sumo drill, but your goal is to lift your opponent off the ground, while they're trying to do the same to you. Lifts can be anything that gets your partners feet off the ground - double legs, bear hugs, suplexes, hip throws, shoulder throws. You don't actually have to complete the throw, just get the lift.

positional escape sparring - similar to guard ups, but use it with multiple grappling positions - side mount, mount, guard, scarf hold, knee on stomach, rear mount

Sprawling - simply add in the sprawl to your normal pad drills - you can either have the pad holder actually shoot on the striker, or have them simply change levels and let the striker sprawl on their own

Down vs up - start one person the ground, the other standing - light striking - goal is for the person on the ground to get to their feet, goal of standing person is to keep them down and punish them.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

that would be great, let me know whenever you're in town. also i'm moving to denver in june, so if you (or any of the MT crew are in the area please look me up!

jf

Latest Discussions