Government Raids Gibson Guitars - Video Response from CEO

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Artists protest **** administration's arbitrary enforcement of vague law.
In yet another attack on the arts the **** administration conducted a raid on Gibson Guitars.

Just thinking out loud on how differently the story may have been reported in some alternate universe.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't draw that conclusion, Gran. You could, for example, buy an old Gibson to get the quality that they once had. Or you could order a guitar from a good maker e.g. Gordon Smith (tho' getting it shipped over from Manchester would be an additional cost and risk).

LOL
spoken from an non player/beginner's view. Certainly no reason to go all gaga over a 'Gipson/Les Paul' at this time, no? n(I'd be looking at the craig's List special, considering all the unfinished projects I already have stored away)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:grins: My advice to people looking to buy a first guitar is very similar to that which I give to people buying their first sword viz get the best that you can afford. A good guitar will be more rewarding to play from the very start than some cheap 'nail'. One thing I would say is that, if you are an absolute beginner, then buy an acoustic rather than an electric. It will be harder to learn at first, due to much more pain, but it is easier to transition to electric from acoustic than the other way around.

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Omar beat me to it, and started an entirely different thead.....

THe reason for the raid is income. Under Bush II, agencies like Fish and WIldlife, OSHA and a few others have to produce at least a portion of their funding through generated income THis means fines, and fines also mean raids like this. Look for Gibson to get slapped with a heavy fine.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another reason to look to hand builds... www.warmoth.com or smaller customs ... www.karlsandoval.com

I like Warmoth parts and I drool over those Karl Sandovals all the time. Small, boutique builders are great from a customer service POV and you beeing able to get exactly what you want. But it does get pricey.

I wouldn't put anyone off buying a factory/off the shelf guitar. You go in to the guitar store every day for a few weeks and play everything and eventually you'll find something special within their stock or when their stock turns over. Personally I pick an off the shelf guitar based off of feel, if I like the neck then I get it. Sound is really a non issue because with the right pickups and amplification you can fix it.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like Warmoth parts and I drool over those Karl Sandovals all the time. Small, boutique builders are great from a customer service POV and you beeing able to get exactly what you want. But it does get pricey.

I wouldn't put anyone off buying a factory/off the shelf guitar. You go in to the guitar store every day for a few weeks and play everything and eventually you'll find something special within their stock or when their stock turns over. Personally I pick an off the shelf guitar based off of feel, if I like the neck then I get it. Sound is really a non issue because with the right pickups and amplification you can fix it.
Yup my old yamaha pawn shop special does just great after a few minor tweakes.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

For all the years I was an active, active, active scene player, I always played off the shelf. I never could afford a custom deal or even a high end line (although I did take a loan out to buy my Jem) but always played mid-line, production lines. I normally found what I needed & like you say, the right pickups & toys will get anything you want.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
For all the years I was an active, active, active scene player, I always played off the shelf. I never could afford a custom deal or even a high end line (although I did take a loan out to buy my Jem) but always played mid-line, production lines. I normally found what I needed & like you say, the right pickups & toys will get anything you want.

I hear you man. But off the shelf bolt-on guitars seem self defeating to me. I would never spend more than $300 on a guitar that is a bolt on, now a Jem is over $1000 and is a bolt on. For my money if you cross that 300 line you gotta be neck-thru or set-neck.

I don't wanna come off as some sort of custom shop snob, though I do only own 1 production guitar. You can always find what you need, but as you improve the limitations of something not built specifically for you.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
That's because Gibson is run by not just non-guitarists, but non-musicians. Henry Juszkiewicz is a Harvard B-school grad who put his MBA to work with a classmate creating a venture capitalist firm in the heartland. They got involved with Gibson when the company was falling on tough times, took it over, and tried to reinvent it as more of a lifestyle brand.
Juszliewicz plays the guitar a little bit worse than I do.