Got a concussion

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm using myself as an example because I played sports and was very active. I've never played football, hockey or any impact sports until college. By the time I was in college I had more than 5 concussions. 5 to 7 concussion is low for those who play high compact sports. I can't use anyone else as an example of "It's high compared to most humans living today." because I can only speak of my own experience..

I'm pretty sure many people in here have had more than 5 concussions.
Maybe you're an outlier dude, and I'll have to dig up some studies but 5 diagnosed concussions is on the high end as far as I've ever known, but especially now in football etc.

Did you know you can't even enter certain full contact fighting comps if you have a history over just a handful of diagnosed concussions? They won't even let you fight, and you have to provide medical files to prove it (and that you don't have HIV etc).

Let's keep medical concussion separated from hitting your head, getting tackled, etc. Big difference.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Think of out toddler years. All the stumbling, tumbling, and falling. I would aver nearly every person got at least one concussion during that time. Most, more than one.
The average person, body, and brain are more pliable than it seems people are giving them credit for.
It would definitely come down to one's upbringing, but I would bet money that most people to adult age have had 5 concussions in their lifetime.
Of course, much of this would come down to the very unreliable measurement of what is a concussion.
Let's keep it to the clinical definition, which is brain damage. Traumatic closed head injury.

And yes, the brain is well protected in it's little pool from many impacts. I've done both full contact sports and combat sports, including competition. Never one concussion (well there was this one time playing tackle football with my buddies, major cooperative slam of two giants both going for the ball...it is was like matter and antimatter coliding).

Trained boxers take hundreds of strikes to the head (per fight in some cases, thousands over a career), few cause concussions. Otherwise every pro and ammy boxer out there would have CTE.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts.

First, to the OP, definitely talk to a doctor. Taking advice from us is just a bad idea. 😅

Second, concussions are no bueno. The brain is a complex organ and I think protecting it is a good idea. I don’t think I’m overprotective of my kids, but I have always been very careful when it comes to their heads and brains.

Third, regarding boxers, I’ve read that 1 in 5 people with CTE never had a diagnosed concussion. The repetitive blows a boxer takes, along with some rules like a standing 8 count, can mask trauma.

All that said, I’m not a doctor. My understanding is gleaned from articles and studies I’ve read over the years and from having had three diagnosed concussions in my life.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe you're an outlier dude, and I'll have to dig up some studies but 5 diagnosed concussions is on the high end as far as I've ever known, but especially now in football etc.

Did you know you can't even enter certain full contact fighting comps if you have a history over just a handful of diagnosed concussions? They won't even let you fight, and you have to provide medical files to prove it (and that you don't have HIV etc).

Let's keep medical concussion separated from hitting your head, getting tackled, etc. Big difference.

"Concussions are among the 5 most frequent injuries for boys and girls in high school lacrosse. Boy’s lacrosse has the third-highest rate of concussions (0.42 per 1000 athletic exposures), next to ice hockey (0.46 per 1000 athletic exposures) and football (0.91 per 1000 athletic exposures). Girl’s lacrosse has the second-highest rate (0.38 per 1000 athletic exposures), next to soccer (0.67 per 1000 athletic exposures). "
@0:40 The guys story sounds like mine. The only difference is that I didn't remember where I got hit. I just know I got hit hard enough to where my vision cut out, When I got back up I couldn't find the teams playing nor the people who came to watch. I heard them, I saw the field but visually the field was empty as if everyone went home.

Blindside hits are the norm in lacrosse. This is the norm for Lacrosse not the exception. Get hit like this and you won't even realize that your head hit the ground.

Just saying. People get laid out on the regular.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Concussions are among the 5 most frequent injuries for boys and girls in high school lacrosse. Boy’s lacrosse has the third-highest rate of concussions (0.42 per 1000 athletic exposures), next to ice hockey (0.46 per 1000 athletic exposures) and football (0.91 per 1000 athletic exposures). Girl’s lacrosse has the second-highest rate (0.38 per 1000 athletic exposures), next to soccer (0.67 per 1000 athletic exposures). "

Blindside hits are the norm in lacrosse. This is the norm for Lacrosse not the exception. Get hit like this and you won't even realize that your head hit the ground.

1 of 5 injuries ok. 20%.

1 concussion per kid? .91 per 1000 seems pretty small to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1 of 5 injuries ok. 20%.

1 concussion per kid? .91 per 1000 seems pretty small to me.
It's not as small as you think. That count that is recorded is just that. It doesn't include those who have concussions but don't report it. Cases where atheletes "Walk it off" don't get put in the books.

I've had more than 2 concussions in my life. It's just that I only got medical treatment for 2

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not as small as you think. That count that is recorded is just that. It doesn't include those who have concussions but don't report it. Cases where atheletes "Walk it off" don't get put in the books.

I've had more than 2 concussions in my life. It's just that I only got medical treatment for 2
Ok.

So let me ask you.

Did either of those 2 include magnetic resonance imaging?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a little concerned about the (mis)information on this thread as a whole. Brain injury is very serious, cumulative and not to be taken lightly. I wonder if this thread should be locked and deleted.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m a little concerned about the (mis)information on this thread as a whole. Brain injury is very serious, cumulative and not to be taken lightly. I wonder if this thread should be locked and deleted.

No need to lock it, if facts are being posted. So far the advice to see a doctor is sound advice. It also give the opportunity to present some documentation. Not so much to tell what the OP should do, but to provide an opportunity to inform and correct gaps in understanding.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A substantial amount of what I’m reading appear to be opinions.
That's where the opportunity exists to post sources and additional information about Concussions. Maybe like the type of concussion
For example: "Concussions are fairly common. Some estimates say a mild brain trauma is sustained every 21 seconds in the U.S." Source:: WebMD Concussion: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WebMD is not peer reviewed but written by medical doctors. Andrew Wakefield was a medical doctor and wrote the most deceitful paper ever published, on the MMR vaccine and it’s false link to autism and in doing so , popularised the anti-vax movement.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A substantial amount of what I’m reading appear to be opinions.
Here in lies the problem. "Opinions or advise". Any person can post up links to support just about any opinion. So, are they information or misinformation.
They are definitely buyer beware.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in lies the problem. "Opinions or advise". Any person can post up links to support just about any opinion. So, are they information or misinformation.
They are definitely buyer beware.
If the supporting evidence is ‘peer reviewed’ and/or from an independent (has no stake in the claim) educational establishment (University), a government agency (such as the NHS) and preferably from multiple sources saying the same things, then it moves from being an unsubstantiated opinion to substantiated and likely ‘true’ until further evidence says otherwise of course.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If the supporting evidence is ‘peer reviewed’ and/or from an independent (has no stake in the claim) educational establishment (University), a government agency (such as the NHS) and preferably from multiple sources saying the same things, then it moves from being an unsubstantiated opinion to substantiated and likely ‘true’ until further evidence says otherwise of course.
Logical enough. But who is to say that even half of the links posted in this thread meet those requirements?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started read a BBC ‘Science’ magazine article about the Vagus nerve and anxiety states the other day. The article began within something like, …’the body is controlled by 12 nerves that travel down the spinal cord to the body - the vagus is one of these.’ This is absolutely incorrect and the sort of thing I might expect an ‘A’-Level student to say. I checked the authors credentials and she was a biology graduate and freelance science write.

I stopped reading after searching for a way to tell her about her error of fact (there wasn’t one). People will believe what she wrote because it’s a BBC publication and this new error will be perpetuated.

Latest Discussions