Got a concussion

BlueShirtGuy

White Belt
Reaction score
I started boxing recently after upping my grind at the community gym. So far, I feel like everything is going great. I spared with some vet guy and got a concussion. Will that affect my brain or something?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started boxing recently after upping my grind at the community gym. So far, I feel like everything is going great. I spared with some vet guy and got a concussion. Will that affect my brain or something?
Please seek advice from a medical professional, we are a discussion group all you will get is opinions, often varying in actual knowledge. Take care.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're asking, you probably didn't talk to a doctor yet, right? If you did they would have told you what you want to know.

Layman answer: yes concussions affect the brain, often long term. Boxing concussions are particularly notorious for this going back to ancient times. There's even a cool old Latin term for it: dementia pugilistica.

You do not want this. It's not that hard to avoid it in boxing class, just try not to get hit by upping your defensive game. Keep your hands up, tuck your chin, bob, weave, dodge, duck...all the D's of dodgeball.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. It will and as already affect your brain. The question is how it will effect you from now on. The only person that can answer that question is a qualified doctor. The general rule is that you see a doctor whenever you have a concussion. Not all concussions are the same. I had one as a child. After hitting my head and crying, I passed out as some gut carried me about 800 yards to the medical building. They woke me up and I threw up. Then I passed out again then woke up in the hospital and threw up again. I think I stayed in the hospital for a few days. I had 2 concussions that were like that. Both required medical attention and observation. Sometimes I wonder if those injuries are affecting me now or if my memory is just being overloaded with a lot of things going on in my life.

It's not too late to get a check up just to make sure things are good. The best thing is that you won't have that worry and concern about the same question you are asking now.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tell students all the time that I'll take a hit to the body if it means that my head is protected. My body can deal with injury better than my head.
You know the reality is most people never get punched in the head their whole lives. They get concussions from car doors and low hanging lamps.

Sports players are just starting to understand the risks of CTE. Will Smith only made that movie a few years ago.

Full contact fighters, it's all about defense. People are often so focused on hitting things they forget the crown jewels arent below the belt...

People who spar really need to protect their necks and everything up more.than anything. Which is why it's so telling when a "martial artist" drops their hands...ok if you're Floyd Mayweather trying to bait, that works, but for most you're asking for it, once the fight is on.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Did you see a bright white light?

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Certainly There are several kinds and levels of a concussion from "rush to the OR" and how they affect you're "shake it off". I know very little about concussions although I have had at least1 time and likely a few more.
Some doctors who have researched concussion now warn that a concussion can and does happen by hitting a soccer ball with your head.

So IMHO One can get a concussion and be back fine sitting on the couch, rubbing your face, taking a nap or just sit & close both eyes and listen to Mozart.

Getting one from boxing and not likely having any side affects is not so bad. But if the sparring continues it can be much worse. Mahammad Ali for instance. He had a long and spectacular career that he never stopped, he just put the gearshift on "N" and relaxed.
The overload from concussions adds up, big time. For every boxing match one sees on TV the boxers put in many more hours daily in training between matches. In the champ it manifested as a Physical disease that makes it difficult for him to walk. I find I am now having having some sort of nervous tics in my hands and walk with some difficulty especially outside. And thanks to ra I've developed (runs in the family) chronic fatigue which is very reminiscent of the flu. So I do know if concussions cause these symptoms: That's not what got me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Concussion as in you got dizzy. Or Concussion as in you are puking your guts up for a week?

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
Years ago, possibly 25 or more, I was riding my bike home and hit a curb. Went flying over the handle bars and slammed into the ground pretty hard. After I hit, my memory of what I did next is muddled. Managed to get back on and ride home, got off the bike and struggled into the house screaming bloody murder. My brothers literally appeared out of nowhere and hauled me upstairs, put me into bed while they called our parents. Blurs really, I was out for a bit, but when I came to, I asked my one brother what time it was. He said "If you ask me what time it is, one more time, I'm going to hit you." Apparently I had asked the exact same question about 50 times in a row, according to them. My thoughts and emotions eventually calmed down, to the point that my parents figured I was okay, and didn't need medical attention.

But did I? Should I have been taken to a doctor and checked out? Today I would say yes. I wonder how that bike accident scrambled my brain and if there was any long term impact. I don't think there was but I honestly don't know that answer.

Go get checked out.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the type of response you often read on a discussion forum. And that's fine.

But it's also the reason you should seek advice from qualified medical professionals! ;)
5-7 concussions is pretty high. Pro NHL, NFL high.

Find a better agent.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
5-7 concussions is pretty high. Pro NHL, NFL high.

Find a better agent.
ha ha ha. 5-7 is small compared to the sports you just listed. They would have gone through that many long before they hit Pro Status.

I remember I got hit so hard during a lacrosse game that all of the people disappeared. I got up and heard people yelling and I could see the field, but I couldn't find the other players or the field they we were playing on. I probably should have gone to the doctor after that game but continued to play and didn't see a doctor. To this day I have never been that disoriented, thank goodness.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did you see a bright white light?
ha ha ha. I never remember any bright lights with my concision. For me it was like the lights went off and when they came back on I was on the ground lol. I'm not sure if that's because I closed my eyes or if it was because my brain stopped processing vision.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
ha ha ha. 5-7 is small compared to the sports you just listed. They would have gone through that many long before they hit Pro Status.

I remember I got hit so hard during a lacrosse game that all of the people disappeared. I got up and heard people yelling and I could see the field, but I couldn't find the other players or the field they we were playing on. I probably should have gone to the doctor after that game but continued to play and didn't see a doctor. To this day I have never been that disoriented, thank goodness.
We're not talking about how hard you got hit at Lacrosse.

5-7 concussions is high, pro or amateur...

It's high compared to most humans living today.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm using myself as an example because I played sports and was very active. I've never played football, hockey or any impact sports until college. By the time I was in college I had more than 5 concussions. 5 to 7 concussion is low for those who play high compact sports. I can't use anyone else as an example of "It's high compared to most humans living today." because I can only speak of my own experience..

I'm pretty sure many people in here have had more than 5 concussions.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Think of out toddler years. All the stumbling, tumbling, and falling. I would aver nearly every person got at least one concussion during that time. Most, more than one.
The average person, body, and brain are more pliable than it seems people are giving them credit for.
It would definitely come down to one's upbringing, but I would bet money that most people to adult age have had 5 concussions in their lifetime.
Of course, much of this would come down to the very unreliable measurement of what is a concussion.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
ha ha ha. I never remember any bright lights with my concision. For me it was like the lights went off and when they came back on I was on the ground lol. I'm not sure if that's because I closed my eyes or if it was because my brain stopped processing vision.
On 2-3 of mine I saw a bright white light.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is the type of response you often read on a discussion forum. And that's fine.

But it's also the reason you should seek advice from qualified medical professionals! ;)
All they can do is ask ya questions see how ya respond tell ya to go home with somebody, make sure they wake ya up every hour to make sure you wake up, no sedation of any kind! Give you a aspirin if ya have a headache and see what happens a little later. At first reading is out, can’t concentrate really on anything, conversation is out ya seem to just be in a blur, sunlight hurts, ya just slowed down. Depending on how bad it is first time count on a few weeks to 3-4 months to get over it, effects can last 6-9 months afterwards guess it comes with age too!! Maybe it has affected me somewhat then again there’s whatever! Have read were people get hit in the head and dies a few hours later. Life is strange!!!!!

Latest Discussions