Best Fitting Gi (uniform)

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm a heavy-build fellow... About 5'10'' and 210 lbs. Can anyone suggest a good-fitting brand for my body type? A Pro Force size 5 is the right length in arms and pants leg length, but the top feels a little tight across my belly and chest. A size 6 is WAY too long.

S

Spud

I'm 6' 0" 195 lb; the Century size 5 is about right. I wear a 40 jacket. Seems like the jump between size 5 and 6 is huge.

Good luck finding the mythical 5.5 !

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
stoneheart said:
I'm a heavy-build fellow... About 5'10'' and 210 lbs. Can anyone suggest a good-fitting brand for my body type? A Pro Force size 5 is the right length in arms and pants leg length, but the top feels a little tight across my belly and chest. A size 6 is WAY too long.

My uniform is a V-neck (typical for TKD) so the front never slides open.
I like the uniform large because we kick alot. I'm 5'7" and 140lbs. and I wear a size 5, so I fold the waistband over once and roll up my sleeves (unless we're competing and then the sleeves have to stay down). The regular Karate style with the string ties is okay too but the ties tend to break. Just get a larger uniform and take it to the cleaners to get altered. Just tell them how many inches to take off the sleeves and the pants.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
My uniform is a V-neck (typical for TKD) so the front never slides open.
I like the uniform large because we kick alot. I'm 5'7" and 140lbs. and I wear a size 5, so I fold the waistband over once and roll up my sleeves (unless we're competing and then the sleeves have to stay down). The regular Karate style with the string ties is okay too but the ties tend to break. Just get a larger uniform and take it to the cleaners to get altered. Just tell them how many inches to take off the sleeves and the pants.
Ah, but what do you do about the jacket length? The "skirt" on a size 6 hangs really low. Ditto with the shape of the arm holes. They're just cut too low for me and there's an unattractive bulging of material around my chest area.

I don't think simple alterations will do the job...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I joined TKD, I wore a size 4, its much more form fitting for me. My instructor always said he liked it loose. He's the same height, weight. Well after 3 years, I finally took his advice and got the bigger uniform and love feeling loose. Its actually "cool" that the jacket hangs down, covers my rear end well. And I like the sleeves bigger.

But your particular "gi" may not be fitting you well. I get mine from Century Martial Arts supply (on line). I liked the ribbed material by Adidas. But that is high end/more expensive. (but they last) Another guy similar to your build when he started had trouble with the string thing, I remember. He lost weight due to dieting/exercise and eventually got a V-neck.

All you can do, is wear a white t-shirt if you have that double crossover gi, tie as well as possible and lose weight. Its better for your joints - knees, ankles - longevity in martial arts. Better for your blood pressure etc. I just started South Beach diet again for a few weeks (at every place they sell books). Its loo fat and low carb and the exact menu is spelled out. It works, I lost 30 lbs., my husband 40 in about 3 months (last year). Have to follow it to the letter though.
I probably didn't help you much, but maybe gave you something to consider.
:)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stoneheart said:
Get a real uniform - try the link on my page to DOSHIN - I am 215 and 5'9" and wear a size 5 KI Brand, but they handle some of the best in the world on this site, and KI's are just an affordable, durable uniform. The 13 oz does shrink some and you can throw it in the dryer to shrink to fit. Check them out from the link on my page Here http://kenpo-texas.com/links_suppliers.html and let us know what you think.

-Michael

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started wearing Juka Gold a few years ago and have stuck with it ever since. I am 5'11 and weigh around 200, and a size 5 fits me like a glove. Juka gold has some weight to it and is around $70 if you know where to buy it.

G

gloom

I've been wearing a size 7 Pro Force for about a year. I'm 6'4" 220 lbs right now, and it's too loose. It fit me perfectly when I got it, but I was 250 lbs then. When I lose about 10 more lbs I'm going to spring for a more expensive uniform, probably a Tokaido, which most of the instructors and advanced students in my club wear.

You are definitely heavier than most practitioners of your height. I think that getting a larger gi altered is your best option in the short term. Down the road you may think about dropping some weight... it will improve your training no matter your art, and it's something you can think about and focus on even when you aren't in the dojo.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A few of us at my school buy 1 size bigger and fold the sleeves and pant legs up. It is a more comfortable fit, And if you sew it up it becomes just the right size. It requires a bit of work, but it is worth it in the long run.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Yup, I could stand to lose a few pounds. That's actually the main reason why I took up martial arts (Goju-Ryu) again recently. I was fairly fit as a red belt in TKD back in my youth, but you know what years of sitting on your duff and overcramming your mouth will do...

Michael,

I'll check out those KI's. I'm actually in Austin myself. If I ever decide to learn kenpo, you can bet your studio will be the first one I visit. I can't believe the wealth of kenpo knowledge in the Capitol city between you and Mr. Duffy and the relatively frequent seminars conducted by AK seniors in town.

S

ShaolinWolf

Only thing is, I've noticed mine and everyone else's shrinks ALOT within 1-2 years. Kinda stinks. I just ordered(not here yet) a heavyweight uniform and it's a size 6. size 5 might be a bit short, but not tight. The only thing is 6 is long and I'll have to roll the sleeves and ankles up. And even then. LOL

Good luck on finding a gi...

:asian:

Latest Discussions