Good place to learn Wing Chun in northern California?

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepeda,

It could be the compression they use, but the film looks sped up.

Doesn't mean that they could or couldn't do it that fast.

I have experience doing Kali, and we can do it that fast. It doesn't look sped up to me. It looks sped up most likely because you're not used to seeing sticks (blades) move that fast to begin with. And as I said, it is a taught routine done in 6 count.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a really good video demonstrating one of the basic 6 count Kali drills taught to beginners. There are 3 of them, Heaven 6, Standard 6 (Heaven and Earth) and Earth 6. Towards the end, the demonstrators move a little faster. However, they are capable of going a bit faster than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Virtual Jim

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Bob. Have you found a place to train yet? I just came across this thread and thought I might share some thoughts.

First, if you're a college student, does the college have any affiliated Wing Chun clubs? I work at Stanford and was surprised to find out a year or so ago how many MA clubs are on campus, including WC. Obviously Stanford's way too far from the north bay, but perhaps your school operates the same way.

Second, you're right about parking for Chris Chan's class, not to mention getting there from the GG Bridge.

Third, and this isn't directed so much at Bob as for the board's sake vis-a-vis future searches, Garrett Gee's a good teacher. When I was exploring various styles of MA about a year ago, I took a class with Sifu Gee (he was in Glen Park at the time). I found the quality of instruction to be excellent. He's clearly into it. I'm not a student of his now, as I'm studying other arts and can't fit additional training into my schedule, but if someone's looking in the city or peninsula, I highly recommend looking him up.

herbinnorcal

White Belt
Reaction score
One of Grandmaster Chris Chan's senior students is just outside of Fairfax.

Wing Chun Kung Fu Self Defense P.O. Box 717 Woodacre, CA 94973 Phone: (415) 488-4041 Sifu Ralph Pinkerton, Instructor
Wing Chun Kung Fu Self Defense
Sifu Ralph Pinkerton
415-488-4041
Wing Chun Kung Fu Self Defense P.O. Box 717 Woodacre, CA 94973 Phone: (415) 488-4041 Sifu Ralph Pinkerton, Instructor

antaeus

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm really interested in learning Wing Chun but from what I can tell my options are extremely limited. I live about 30 to 40 minutes north of San Francisco, sometimes longer depending on traffic obviously. I'm a college student who works part time so time is highly limited, and with gas prices where they are I'd obviously like to have as short a commute as possible.

So far I've found these places:

Bay Mountain Martial Arts
http://www.petalumawingtsun.com/

East-West Wing Chun
http://www.wingchun-sf.com/sanfrancisco.html

This school is run by Jasan, student of John Kang, who learned Wing Chun for two years in Taiwan under Lo Man Kam. He is a cool guy and they have a nice place on Jackson St near the Laney campus.

US Wing Chun Kung Fu Academy
http://www.uswingchun.com/

Does anybody go to any of these places or know anything about them? I'd prefer not to go to San Francisco for class because gas would start to get crazy and I would lose a lot out of my day with the commute. However, if it's my only real option then I'm willing to give it a shot. I've heard negative things about Bay Mountain Martial Arts and US Wing Chun Academy and not much at all about East-West Wing Chun. Bay Mountain is conveniently located so I'll probably check it out anyway. I'd greatly appreciate any input or advice.

Other schools you may be interested in:

LeBlanc Wing Chun (http://www.leblancwingchun.com/) Top student of Gary Lam, Wong Shun Leung lineage

International Academy of Wing Chun (http://www.iaw-us.com/) Paul Wang, student of Klaus Brand, who originally learned from Keith Kernspect, Leung Ting lineage

East Bay Wing Chun (www.eastbaywingchun.com) Wong Shun Leung>Gary Lam> Greg LeBlanc lineage - inexpensive and an hour and a half a week - good class to see if you like WC

sihing_steve

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

Brand new to the forum. Sorry for bringing up this old thread but since it involves me and my school I thought I should chime in.

First:

They all look like promos from different schools and organizations - the only one that looked decent was the weapons one and the film was obviously sped up.

I am one of the two individuals in this video and I can say without a doubt the film was not sped up.

We trained with sticks for about 5-6 months before even attempting the machetes, and then took our demo to the streets 4 months after that. This film was taken about 2 months after we started demoing.

Benevolentbob:

I would invite you to come check out the class. We offer a 1 month free trial to all potential new students.

Please contact me through my website if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Sihing Steve Crandall
3rd Technician
Bay Mountain Martial Arts.
www.petalumawingtsun.com

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fair enough - as I noted before it could have been the compression.

BTW... You guys do know Sihing isn't a title right? I saw on your website that everyone called themselves "Si-Hing" such and such - is that to denote that they're a club instructor but not a fully certified Sifu or something?

sihing_steve

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Eric, nice to meet you.

In our "family" we use Si-Hing quite often. The difference between spellings, Si-Hing and Sihing, is a matter of personal relationship to that person. In general in Sihing means "older brother."

Sihing is used in quite a few ways in our group, but you could consider the Sihing "title" as a club instructor.

I'm not sure what you mean by fully certified Sifu, but then to me titles are just that, titles. ;-)

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Steve,

Had never seen Sihing used that way before or with spelling difference changing the meaning. AFAIK it was only a familial term for your older brothers, it just seemed odd to me that students under someone would call them Sihing and not Sifu, but I don't know the particulars of your teaching arrangement.

Most orgs I've seen had a distinction between someone allowed to teach fully on their own (A "certified" Sifu) and someone who was more of a junior instructor/still in training but is allowed to teach. Some did it by belt rankings or titles or a similar mechanism, just curious if what I was seeing was how your org did it.

Best,

WingTsun650

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I am the Bay Mountain Representative in San Mateo, CA. Of course I advocate for my organization, but I would like to note that their is a lot of variation in the Wing Chun community. Hard style vs soft style ect. The WT linage can feel very different than the WC linage, especially the hard style WC guys. I have met a few guys from the Chris Chan organization and the East West organization and they all seemed cool. The main complaint about the WT linage (my linage) is that we are overly technical, for me I do not see that as a problem.

I don't know any Martial Artist who dosen't think their stuff is the best stuff. What I can say is this, they should give you some training at no charge so you can get a feel for the class. In Bay Mountain we train a new student free for a month. I would not advise to go to anyone who wants to lock you into a contract up front.

What is important is that you find an instructor you both respect and like. That said, free is not a bad rate.

Thanks for reading,

-Andy (Si-Hing Andy to my Students)

my website
www.wingtsun650.com

Bay Mountain Website (with links to BM classes around the Bay)
www.fit4kungfu.com

WingTsun650

White Belt
Reaction score
Eric,

In the Leung Ting linage a Sifu was traditionally a teacher is at least 28 years old, who has the rank of at least 3rd Tech, and has a Student who is a 1st Tech. A 1st Tech was (is) qualified to teach their own group, but take their student to their Sifu for testing. This was the model used by the EWTO

-Andy

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Eric,

In the Leung Ting linage a Sifu was traditionally a teacher is at least 28 years old, who has the rank of at least 3rd Tech, and has a Student who is a 1st Tech. A 1st Tech was (is) qualified to teach their own group, but take their student to their Sifu for testing. This was the model used by the EWTO

-Andy

Hey Andy-- Welcome to the forum. We come from the same lineage, although I now practice with independent groups. Back in the 80's my main instructors were LT and Rene Latosa. I have to admit that I'm kinda jealous that you guys are located close enough to have regular access to GM Rene. Nowadays I watch his old DVDs and wait till I win the lottery, or till he gives another seminar down this way. Anyway, good to have your input.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since this thread popped back up, figured I should mention that I'm now in San Fran for anyone that'd care to meet up or train.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since this thread popped back up, figured I should mention that I'm now in San Fran for anyone that'd care to meet up or train.

Eric, is this a permanent thing? You've left Arizona? --Steve

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eric, is this a permanent thing? You've left Arizona? --Steve

Hey Steve,

Yeah, I've up and moved. My Sifu said he only had about 3-4 years left before he retires, so I figured I should move close to him to learn what I can before he does.

I do miss the Phoenix sunshine though, it's cold here!

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's dedication to the art Eric. Respect!

chuba

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to bring this particular topic back up as I am looking for somewhere to train wing chun in the bay area. I live in the tri valley area (dublin/pleasanton/livermore). Can anyone give a recommendation for a school in my area? I am willing to travel a little.
Thanks for the help.
Chuba

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to bring this particular topic back up as I am looking for somewhere to train wing chun in the bay area. I live in the tri valley area (dublin/pleasanton/livermore). Can anyone give a recommendation for a school in my area? I am willing to travel a little.
Thanks for the help.
Chuba

I only know of folks closer to oakland, or one of my sihings has a garage kwoon in modesto. How far are you willing to travel?

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the help.
Chuba

Don't know much about that area (I'm on the other coast), but I do know that our family has a school in San Francisco if that's not too far for you.

http://vingtsunsito.com/

Latest Discussions