Good Cup, Bad Cup?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've yet to own groin protection for sparring that was even remotely comfortable. Most were mildly distracting at best and some were just plain awful.

So I am in the market as it were. Who has a good cup story and a bad cup story? Which cup brand is best?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bad cup story - While studying TKD with Jhoon Rhee, I used to wear a steel cup. Never having played a sport, what did I know? It didn't really fit too well. And sometimes it would allow certain twin body parts to slide back to the edge of the steel cup. One day I in fact took an unexpected straight up kick when my anatomy was so configured. There is pain, and there is pain.
eek.gif

It hurt so bad I couldn't even relax muscles enough to fall down.

Mr. Rhee immediately started telling me to jump up and down on my heels. I wanted to tell him I thought that was a very stupid and non-sensical suggestion. But one didn't do that to Mr. Rhee, and I didn't consider it a suggestion either.

I simply cannot express in words how happy I was to discover that really worked.
tongue.gif

While doing Hapkido, I only wear a regular supporter. 1st - Hapkido Black Belts don't feel pain, right?;, 2nd - I never let anyone get close to that part of my anatomy (so far) (but if you find a good one, let me know).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have had no complaints with Shock Doctor. I won't claim it is overly comfortable, but one gets used to it, or at least I have. And on several occasions in the dojo, I've been mighty glad of it. I've seen several of my dojo mates doing dry heaves on the mat, and I can't imagine why they think that is preferable to wearing protection.

https://www.shockdoctor.com/products/cups-and-supporters

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had 2 cups crack, since I've worn a metal Muay Thai cup. Outer edge is padded and the most comfortable overall of any cup I had worn previous. Metal is heavier so is different when first using one however is far less painful if kick or hit in the groin

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had 2 cups crack, since I've worn a metal Muay Thai cup. Outer edge is padded and the most comfortable overall of any cup I had worn previous. Metal is heavier so is different when first using one however is far less painful if kick or hit in the groin

Our guys wear metal Muay Thai ones, as far as I know they are happy with them! the only problem, which sadly we found hilarious, was that they come with strings which get tied up in intricate ways and when one of our guys got a bad stomach and a case of the runs, the screams as he tried to undo all the knots etc in an extreme hurry were something to listen to. did he make it to the toilet in time....ah..no!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a school of thought that says, "Unless you plan to wear one 24/7, don't wear one at all." :)

Feel free to do so as you wish. Me, I've already gotten a couple shots to the wedding tackle by white belts with less than exemplary control, and I was awfully glad I had it on.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Back when I started, I used a Shock Doctor, and it was fine. However, cups are illegal to use in most BJJ competitions, so somewhere about 5 years ago I just stopped wearing one.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feel free to do so as you wish. Me, I've already gotten a couple shots to the wedding tackle by white belts with less than exemplary control, and I was awfully glad I had it on.
The problem is when you step out on to the street and three guys pop out of the bushes, and you go into Karate mode... Will you forget you aren't wearing a cup, or worse yet, remember you aren't wearing one, and stress. LOL I am just throwing little wisdoms and hypotheticals out there just to burden ya'll with "What Ifs" I have picked up on through the years. :)
Sean

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm sorry, WHAT? Well, I can see I won't be studying BJJ anytime soon. :)
LOL... well, protecting the troops is important. But, yeah. According to IBJJF rules, a cup actually offers a physical advantage. In addition to the obvious ones, it provides a hard fulcrum when applying an armbar that you won't have otherwise, making it much, much easier to snap the elbow.

Some local tournaments allow them, as do some no-gi grappling tourneys. But if it's an IBJJF or compliant tournament, cups are a no-no.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a school of thought that says, "Unless you plan to wear one 24/7, don't wear one at all." :)

By that logic, we'd all be sparring full force, bare knuckled, with no mouth guard, no pads, no headgear....
Of course, there's also a school of thought that says it's fun to put one round in a revolver, spin the cylinder and see if you blow your brains out.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By that logic, we'd all be sparring full force, bare knuckled, with no mouth guard, no pads, no headgear....
Of course, there's also a school of thought that says it's fun to put one round in a revolver, spin the cylinder and see if you blow your brains out.
You just described my training as a youth...(sniff sniff) I'm getting all sentimental now. :)

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you use the external one that goes outside the pants we call a turtle makes a great Jason mask in a pinch in the DoJang for training ok but in public espeacially tournament and the top does not hide is rather tacky?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As the wise man said:
This is a cup:
AthleticCup.jpg

But, you DO NOT want to drink out of it.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That sir, is a school of LACK of thought... RIP Jon Erik Hexum...

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our guys wear metal Muay Thai ones, as far as I know they are happy with them! the only problem, which sadly we found hilarious, was that they come with strings which get tied up in intricate ways and when one of our guys got a bad stomach and a case of the runs, the screams as he tried to undo all the knots etc in an extreme hurry were something to listen to. did he make it to the toilet in time....ah..no!

:))) What I do and most that I know is: Take the strings off and use a cup supporter. Is a lot easier to take off in those those discomforting times. LOL.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You just described my training as a youth...(sniff sniff) I'm getting all sentimental now. :)

I did my fair share of bare knuckle training as a youth. That is one reason why I am in favor of preventing injnuries when possible.

Latest Discussions