Going to China for Kung Fu?

toffee1234

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post. Nice to meet you all! So for the past 6 months I have firmly decided to go to China for 6 months training but there are so many school, each claiming to be the best and the largest authentic school. Could you please guide me which is the best and authentic one since I have intentions to get full professional training but first I'll start with 6 months training. Thanks!
1. Shaolin Kung Fu Academy - Learn Kung Fu in Shaolin Temple Wushu School China
2. Original Shaolin Temple - kungfushaolins
3. shaolin temple academy,china gong fu,wushu,chinese kung fu, Martial Arts Academy , Qi Gong, Tai Ji, Xing Yi, Ba Gua, Tang Lang (Praying Mantis), San Da, chinashailins.com, chinashaolinskungfu.com, shalins.com, wwe Wrestling Learn, k1 Training,
4. Songshan Shaolin Temple Wushu Academy
5.Shaolin Tagou Martial Arts School | Learn Kung Fu in China

So 1 and 5 both claim to be the largest schools. Which one should I choose?

Kind Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Try to stay away from the Shaolin system. It becomes water down modern Wushu dancing today.

You may try:

1. Chen Taiji,
2. XingYi Liu He,
3. Baji,
4. Preying mantis,
5. Shuai Jiao.

1, 2, 3 are good in power generation. 4 is good in speed generation. 5 is good in wrestling art.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on your purpose for the martial arts that you train. Do you want to want to use it for self-defense or do you want to just learn the forms and be fit? Base your choice on your purpose of your training.

OP
toffee1234

toffee1234

White Belt
Reaction score
Try to stay away from the Shaolin system. It becomes water down modern Wushu dancing today.

You may try:

1. Chen Taiji,
2. XingYi Liu He,
3. Baji,
4. Preying mantis,
5. Shuai Jiao.

1, 2, 3 are good in power generation. 4 is good in speed generation. 5 is good in wrestling art.
Thank you so much. Didn't know about these before! But I was also interested in Kung Fu and Taekwondo. The weapons especially the swords in Kung Fu and long kicks of Taekwondo. Watching videos of these two inspired me a lot which made me want to go to Shaolin. But I will also search on the ones you have mentioned! Thank you again!

OP
toffee1234

toffee1234

White Belt
Reaction score
It depends on your purpose for the martial arts that you train. Do you want to want to use it for self-defense or do you want to just learn the forms and be fit? Base your choice on your purpose of your training.
Both. But actually becoming a Martial Artist has been a dream for many years. I would especially love to learn sword fighting.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
My advise is to train where ever you are at now if you never trained martial arts before. I don't mean dont go to China but get a good education in kung fu where you are at before you go. There can be a very steep learning curve in the beginning. You would do better if you had the basics and good body controll before you travel. It would be a waste to travel to China just to have the master teach you how to stand up properly. Better to already know the basics so you can really absorb the good stuff. I would also want to know the language to a certain degree.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How much experience in kung fu do you have now? If you have a few years of experience, you'll probably get a lot more of something like this than if you're a beginner.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Didn't know about these before! But I was also interested in Kung Fu and Taekwondo. The weapons especially the swords in Kung Fu and long kicks of Taekwondo. Watching videos of these two inspired me a lot which made me want to go to Shaolin. But I will also search on the ones you have mentioned! Thank you again!

Kung Fu us a container, it is not a style. This is a list of all the styles of Chinese martial arts that fall under the label of Kung Fu

List of Chinese martial arts

As far as the Shaolin schools. What are you actually going to learn, what is the curriculum? Do you speak at least Mandarin? Are they going to teach you Mandarin? What happens if you get sick and need a doctor? What happens if you get injured and you are unable to continue training? Do you get your money back, or at least part of it? What about food, lodging, sanitary conditions, water?

I do not want to dash your dreams of training in China or at Shaolin, You could also train in a similar fashion at Wudang and Chenjiagou (Chen family taijiquan). But, understand all of the major Shaolin Schools, Wudang and even Chenjiagou to some extent are government controlled. You can also do a similar type of training in Wing Chun in Hong Kong, in Yiquan in Beijing and in multiple styles at the Beijing Milun School and they are subject to less government control.

Also studying martial arts in China is big-time "Buyer beware" The label of Shaolin may or may not actually be Shaolin, There is an awful lot of cheating of foreigners going on in China these days.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kung Fu us a container, it is not a style. This is a list of all the styles of Chinese martial arts that fall under the label of Kung Fu

As far as the Shaolin schools. What are you actually going to learn, what is the curriculum? Do you speak at least Mandarin? Are they going to teach you Mandarin? What happens if you get sick and need a doctor? What happens if you get injured and you are unable to continue training? Do you get your money back, or at least part of it? What about food, lodging, sanitary conditions, water?

I do not want to dash your dreams of training in China or at Shaolin, You could also train in a similar fashion at Wudang and Chenjiagou (Chen family taijiquan). But, understand all of the major Shaolin Schools, Wudang and even Chenjiagou to some extent are government controlled. You can also do a similar type of training in Wing Chun in Hong Kong, in Yiquan in Beijing and in multiple styles at the Beijing Milun School and they are subject to less government control.

Also studying martial arts in China is big-time "Buyer beware" The label of Shaolin may or may not actually be Shaolin, There is an awful lot of cheating of foreigners going on in China these days.
And to add to this, these government run schools are not teaching the traditional fighting systems of kung Fu. Instead, they are teaching Modern Wushu, which is a government sanctioned performance and competition system that is based on the old systems but is no longer viable as a combat method. These people are outstanding athletes, they work really hard, but it is more like a gymnastics floor routine, with a kung Fu flavor.

You can find plenty of Modern Wushu, as well as traditional kung Fu, without needing to go to China.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Also looking at the links. anything that says "Authentic Shaolin Kung Fu training" and then lists styles like Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, Taijiquan, is already lying to you. Those do not come form Shaolin. But then neither does Sanda which is taught at most "Shaolin Academies"

If your heart is set on Shaolin there are people outside of China that could train you, or at least point you in the right direction. I know none of them personally and I have only talks with one online. But they are from Shaolin

Shifu Shi Yan-Ming > USA NYC

Shifu Yan Lei > England

Shifu Shi Guo Song > Toronto Canada

If they would talk to you they would likely be able to give you more info as to what school to look at

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also looking at the links. anything that says "Authentic Shaolin Kung Fu training" and then lists styles like Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, Taijiquan, is already lying to you. Those do not come form Shaolin. But then neither does Sanda which is taught at most "Shaolin Academies"

If your heart is set on Shaolin there are people outside of China that could train you, or at least point you in the right direction. I know none of them personally and I have only talks with one online. But they are from Shaolin

Shifu Shi Yan-Ming > USA NYC

Shifu Yan Lei > England

Shifu Shi Guo Song > Toronto Canada

If they would talk to you they would likely be able to give you more info as to what school to look at
There are also a lot of sifu who are from lineages long established outside of China. They themselves may not be from China or from Shaolin Temple, but they know the real stuff and can teach it.

Look for things like Jing Wu in places outside of China.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There are also a lot of sifu who are from lineages long established outside of China. They themselves may not be from China or from Shaolin Temple, but they know the real stuff and can teach it.

Look for things like Jing Wu in places outside of China.

Yup. There is a guy near me that is incredibly good at modern Wushu, he did train in China, but at a physical education university. He is also incredibly good at Sanda too. And frankly I would recommend someone like him, right here in the USA over traveling to China for Shaolin.

However you are absolutely correct, there is a lot more to Chinese Marital Arts than Shaolin and almost all are by far much more traditional than Shaolin. Heck, in China, Wudang is more traditional than Shaolin, but then they are rather new to the Government controlled thing. . But the 1 guy I know of that is from Wudang and teaches Xingyiquan is rather amazing at Xingyiquan and actually knows how to use it, rather well.

OP
toffee1234

toffee1234

White Belt
Reaction score
My advise is to train where ever you are at now if you never trained martial arts before. I don't mean dont go to China but get a good education in kung fu where you are at before you go. There can be a very steep learning curve in the beginning. You would do better if you had the basics and good body controll before you travel. It would be a waste to travel to China just to have the master teach you how to stand up properly. Better to already know the basics so you can really absorb the good stuff. I would also want to know the language to a certain degree.

Thats a great advice! Thanks! Actually I have never had martial arts training before. So I'll look for an online school.

OP
toffee1234

toffee1234

White Belt
Reaction score

Thank you so much. It is really helpful. I have found one on Wing Chun in Hong Kong. It was on Wikipedia page of Ip Chun and I will contact them soon:

詠春葉準學會 -

Previously I have been contacting Shaolin Tagou but when I wrote to them to send me invitation letter so that I could send fee in advance (On their website it says to send half money in advance). They suddenly stopped replying back. Because the state bank of my country accepts to transfer huge amount only if admission evidence of the institution where applying is given) But before that the school was replying to my queries everyday.

OP
toffee1234

toffee1234

White Belt
Reaction score
And to add to this, these government run schools are not teaching the traditional fighting systems of kung Fu. Instead, they are teaching Modern Wushu, which is a government sanctioned performance and competition system that is based on the old systems but is no longer viable as a combat method. These people are outstanding athletes, they work really hard, but it is more like a gymnastics floor routine, with a kung Fu flavor.

You can find plenty of Modern Wushu, as well as traditional kung Fu, without needing to go to China.
I don't have any traditional Kung Fu training where I live so I thought about going to China. But after reading many good advices from the members of this forum, I have given up the idea of going to Shaolin but instead I'll look into Hong Kong.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think you should train in whatever is available where you live. Then you can get started right away, and you don't have to save up a ton of money to support yourself in Hong Kong.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you should train in whatever is available where you live. Then you can get started right away, and you don't have to save up a ton of money to support yourself in Hong Kong.
To be honest, this is good advice. Aside from the romanticism of training where the original masters did, you really won't find anything (publicly available) that you won't find here, and better.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thank you so much. It is really helpful. I have found one on Wing Chun in Hong Kong. It was on Wikipedia page of Ip Chun and I will contact them soon:

詠春葉準學會 -

Previously I have been contacting Shaolin Tagou but when I wrote to them to send me invitation letter so that I could send fee in advance (On their website it says to send half money in advance). They suddenly stopped replying back. Because the state bank of my country accepts to transfer huge amount only if admission evidence of the institution where applying is given) But before that the school was replying to my queries everyday.

There is an academy in Hong Kong run by Ip Man students that has lodging there as well. I will see if I can find it and post it for you.

And Money first, even half the money, in China.....be careful. They are in China and can quickly vanish never to be heard from again..... stick with the big, well established, schools if you are set on doing this.

Latest Discussions