GM JI Han Jae

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you are right that Billy Jack was probably the first chance for some of us to see some Hapkido, but nowadays it is hard to find anyone under 50 who has heard of that movie. Now Bruce Lee with Doju Ji Han Jae everyone has seen.

But because of BJ, a whole generation was introduced to Hapkido. As a result, interest in the art here in the west took off by leaps and bounds. One instance in which Hollywood did something positive.

In regards to Bruce Lee and Ji Han Jae, I'm assuming you're talking about 'Game of Death'? Unfortunately, this movie was mangled after the passing of Lee. A lot of footage surfaced later fortunately. However, Jae did not represent Hapkido in that film. He was actually portrayed as a Chin Na master according to the screen play and the vision of Bruce Lee. Hapkido was represented by one of the guys that were with Lee and was continually getting his butt kicked. In fact, Jae as the Chin Na master thoroughly defeated the Hapkido master. So anyone outside of the art of Hapkido would probably not know what role Ji played in Hapkido from this movie. In fact, if anything they'd think his art was Chin Na.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Yes you are right that Billy Jack was probably the first chance for some of us to see some Hapkido, but nowadays it is hard to find anyone under 50 who has heard of that movie. Now Bruce Lee with Doju Ji Han Jae everyone has seen.

It's hard to recall that movie, I barely remember any of it. Actually, I was never into martial arts movies at all. I can remember the Bruce Lee nunchuku scene and some fake fight he had with Chuck Norris in Rome. People always come up to me and say "I bet you loved that Steven Segal/Van Damm/Ninja Turtle movie" when I have to say "not really, I don't watch those kind of films"

I did however watch all the original first series of Kung Fu and Kurosawa's Samurai films, but it was not so much for the techniques, but the story, culture and cinematography of Kurosawa's films. As a kid I liked Master Po, and the other masters' philosophy.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did however watch all the original first series of Kung Fu and Kurosawa's Samurai films, but it was not so much for the techniques, but the story, culture and cinematography of Kurosawa's films. As a kid I liked Master Po, and the other masters' philosophy.

I very much enjoyed them as well, particularly Kung Fu. I sometimes wonder what the series would have been like had Bruce Lee been allowed to star in it rather than David Carradine. Although there was Hollywood mixed into it of course, many of the actual skills, training and tests demonstrated in the show did have a basis in historical fact.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, so then Ji cannot be credited with the actual invention of any kicks in Hapkido, at least 'basic' kicks as you say. Does this then imply that there are 'advanced' kicks that he did invent? If so, what are they? How many? When did he invent them? What separates them from kicks in other arts that predate Hapkido? Also, by stating that LEE Do Sa, a Taoist monk taught him kicking, we can also surmise that others knew and taught these kicks as well and there are not unique or original to Hapkido. Unless you are stating that LEE Do Sa invented these kicks as well and that they are unique and original in the arts and no other art incorporates them.

History always makes for interesting conversation. I look forward to more detailed explanations Glenn. Thank you.

I agree.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting on your comments on these guys.............

I believe Glenn stated these were basic kicks and not the advanced ones of which he was referring. It is these advanced kicks that Ji invented that would be interesting to view and discuss from both a tactical and a historical perspective. Thank you.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Waiting on your comments on these guys.............

I was told these were only the "basic" kicks, I am still waiting on any information on the "special" kicks that were said to have been invented. Did I say I was going to comment "on those guys"? Silly comment, again.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was told these were only the "basic" kicks, I am still waiting on any information on the "special" kicks that were said to have been invented. Did I say I was going to comment "on those guys"? Silly comment, again.

I did not think your comment was silly, why would you? Here is what you wrote AFTER posting this videos. "I'm asking first before I comment on this collection..."

It seemed you were going to "comment on this collection" in which "those guys" were kicking.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
I did not think your comment was silly, why would you? Here is what you wrote AFTER posting this videos. "I'm asking first before I comment on this collection..."

It seemed you were going to "comment on this collection" in which "those guys" were kicking.

Can you address the "special kicks" - you seem to keep asking questions like you can

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not doubting the validity or effectiveness of those kicks, but god they look ugly, as well as looking like they would eventually destroy your knees. I'm sorry I have nothing more constructive to say.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Al's defense, he has come forth and stated he is a novice Hapkidoin. He isn't likely to know the difference between the basic and more advanced kicks as he has likely not been exposed to them. Glenn is the go-to man on this question since he is a 9th Dan under Ji. I'm disappointed that he has yet to respond to the question. I would encourage him to perhaps even make a video and post it in the thread. Like I mentioned, a conversation on the tactical and historical perspectives of these advance kicks would be tremendously interesting. Not to put any demands or pressure on Glenn, but you brought it up and you've really piqued my curiosity on this. Thank you in advance.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not doubting the validity or effectiveness of those kicks, but god they look ugly, as well as looking like they would eventually destroy your knees. I'm sorry I have nothing more constructive to say.

That is a very good question. Good comment.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
In Al's defense, he has come forth and stated he is a novice Hapkidoin. He isn't likely to know the difference between the basic and more advanced kicks as he has likely not been exposed to them. Glenn is the go-to man on this question since he is a 9th Dan under Ji. I'm disappointed that he has yet to respond to the question. I would encourage him to perhaps even make a video and post it in the thread. Like I mentioned, a conversation on the tactical and historical perspectives of these advance kicks would be tremendously interesting. Not to put any demands or pressure on Glenn, but you brought it up and you've really piqued my curiosity on this. Thank you in advance.

I do think it seems a little disingenuous to create 6 or 7 threads acting like one is looking for Hapkido when in fact the same person has a Sin Moo 9th dan as a good friend. And given the fact that mastercole says he can travel or host, seems like his logical choice is to get something going with his 9th dan friend.

But despite that, let's get back to the discussion at hand.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do think it seems a little disingenuous to create 6 or 7 threads acting like one is looking for Hapkido when in fact the same person has a Sin Moo 9th dan as a good friend. And given the fact that mastercole says he can travel or host, seems like his logical choice is to get something going with his 9th dan friend.

Kevin, wow, why all this concern about puunui? Relax, it's cool, you can either share Hapkido information with me, or I can just go learning it from your teacher myself, directly. I don't see what all the secretive stuff is about.

I have known puunui for years, many people I know have known him longer. He is one of the most knowledgeable and skilled martial artist that I know. The thing is he never once had this idea that he is the best, or even that GM Ji was the best. He never tried to sell me on such a thing. He is a good guide and has always pointed people in the right direction. Actually, if it was not for him, I might not have gotten involved with Taekkyon. Anyway, he already suggested that I should consider going to see GM ji, but he also said don't just take his word for it and to look around and see who else is out there in order to make an educated guess.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by puunui
If you wish to learn about GM Ji's special kicks, then my suggestion is to seek him out personally and go learn them from him directly.

"I think that is excellent advise, so much so that I will do it myself. Since I have a sort of renewed interest in Hapkido, I should seek out the best in world and in my travels all over the world I have always heard when it comes to Hapkido that GM Ji is among the best teachers. Anyone have a differing opinion about GM Ji?"

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Glenn has given you some excellent advice, from a first-hand perspective. I think you would indeed by wise to take it up. I hope that it is everything that you are looking for in training. I also think Glenn is perhaps being too modest and that you might be wise to take a trip out to the Islands for a visit.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Those are basic kicks. I was thinking more of the special kicks, the ones that in your opinion do not conform to GM Choi's conception of hapkido. By the way, the practitioners in those videos, Ivan and Scott, are excellent martial artists. I was there when that was filmed at one of GM Godwin's many dojang.

These were kicks Glenn said he was thinking of...and now cannot provide any information about, I guess. I am guessing these were the kicks that were attributed as being "invented" - at first - although that appears to have been redacted to "learned from Taoist Lee" - so I am really not sure which kicking we are supposed to attribute here, the basic kicks? The special kicks (now not invented but learned elsewhere and added) or is there another group that are not yet part of the discussion?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
These were kicks Glenn said he was thinking of...and now cannot provide any information about, I guess. I am guessing these were the kicks that were attributed as being "invented" - at first - although that appears to have been redacted to "learned from Taoist Lee" - so I am really not sure which kicking we are supposed to attribute here, the basic kicks? The special kicks (now not invented but learned elsewhere and added) or is there another group that are not yet part of the discussion?

Does not appear that way to me. I see kicking skills in Sin Moo Hapkido that are not found in Taekwondo or Taekkyon. So I'll go with the idea that GM Ji invented them.

It will be interesting to hear what GM Ji has to say about that, then compare it with what GM Lim has to say. I wonder if either of them will agree with you.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
So maybe it might be incorrect to say that GM Ji "invented" those kicks, at least the basic kicks. "Included" might be a better word. He does say that he learned kicking from LEE Do Sa, so there is that.

Can any Sin Moo people elaborate on this? I am not sure at this point which kicks we should actually attribute as invented, learned, similar, identical.