glucosamine plus chondroitin sulfate -- failed

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't read the article but can say from first hand experience that a quality product works for some. It's worked for me and I've seen horses who have joint issues from jumping continue painlessly after being fed glucosamine/chondroitin supplements. I guess you could say it's a placebo effect on a person..but not on an animal. The key is using a quality supplement and giving it time to work..a minimum of 30 days. And again, not everything works for everyone.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
One study says nothing (relatively). Time tested results and hundreds (est.) of other studies should be considered equally. I'm going with those.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think this was a good test. I've been taking glucosamine sulfate for seven years. I tried going off it for a couple of months and noticed my knees/joints were feeling different, more pain so I went back on and stayed. Better with than without. No side effects. I'm happy. Well, I still have damage from worn down cartilage, but two meniscus tears healed completely when the doc said they wouldn't. I recommend a good quality glucosamine though as I have tried others and they are not equal. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
INDYFIGHTER said:
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Rheumatology/Arthritis/tb/2728?pfc=101&spc=230

New test results say these supplements have little if any effect.

Just to point out what it actually said, little benefit was observed in cases involving moderate pain. At higher levels of pain, a benefit was observed.

One other thing that makes me question the "it's useless" conclusion, I had a dog that suffered from arthritis. We had been giving her asprin as per the vet's instructions, but she started suffering from nose bleeds. I switched her over to glucosamine, and the pain was controlled. Without it, she couldn't walk. Wasn't aware that placebos worked on dogs...

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent point by all. Anecdotal evidence has it's place...you know?

I come from a powerlifting, strongman, etc type background...let me tell you...a lot of faith in these products there.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Study? What study? I wasn't involved in any study.

I'm being flippant for a reason.

This reminds me of when I reported a bad side effect from an rx med to my doctor.

Her reaction? "It shouldn't do that"

Studies can be interesting tools, but...I'm selfish! When it comes to supplements...it's all about me. :D

Ultimately what matters most to me is how my body reacts to what I put in it. Not how someone else's body reacts.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, I noticed that the study was looking at pain - not at range of motion, which is what many people take glucosamine and chondroitin for, so while they failed as pain preventers, that doesn't say anything about preventing and/or repairing damage. I don't see this study as a reason to change anything if it's working for you - nothing I saw showed that they caused damage - only that they are not effective as pain relievers. I take glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM due to mild arthritis diagnosed after a knee sprain - and I will continue to take it as a preventative, not as a pain reliever, which is not a purpose I've ever used it for.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya. Aspirin isn't supposed to work either. Failed studies, even, except the ones that help prevent heart attack. Pain relief and heart attack / stroke prevention aren't even what aspirin is made for. They don't know why it works. They don't even know THAT it works for pain, except for what people say.

Studies don't always mean much - observing results tends to tell us more, I think.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My old man uses Glucosamine Chondroitin. It seems to work for him. I'll guess it works on some level and thats good enough for me.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glucosamine has been a life saver for many! There have been other studies that have shown otherwise, IIRC. Also, this study is in regard to arthritis. Many people that I know, including family members, have found that it was very effective against backpain. Just because in one narrow condition an improvement in ONE study finds no improvement, does not necessarily mean that the supplement does not help in other areas or that a different study might contradict the first. Goodness knows that has happened before...

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I didnt read that particular article, but others i have read prove that it does and has worked on many people....I know it takes a long time to start working (3 months plus), so how long was that test over (was there a test??)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Ya. Aspirin isn't supposed to work either. Failed studies, even, except the ones that help prevent heart attack. Pain relief and heart attack / stroke prevention aren't even what aspirin is made for. They don't know why it works. They don't even know THAT it works for pain, except for what people say.

Studies don't always mean much - observing results tends to tell us more, I think.

Aspirin works on inflammation and swelling from breakoff off of cartilage causing irritation which then causes pain. Willow bark, a precursor to aspirin was used literally ages ago. But it's hard on the stomach so ibuprofen is for me.

Ibuprofen is supposed to interfere with the absorption of glucosamine so you can't take it at the same time. But to prevent the inflammation while exercising I take ibuprofen before and the swelling and pain doesn't happen afterwards. If I take the glucosamine a few hours afterwards, it works then as the ibuprofen leaves my system. Seems to be working that way. And my knees feel great after a few days rest with only glucosamine supplements. I definitely think it does help with pain as I have arthritis in my knees as well as little cartilage. If I were only doing walking with good shoes, I wouldn't need more than glucosamine. TW

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
This study does not state that it does not work. Read it. It helped knee pain, but not muscle stiffness...the two effects being measured.

The doses were 1500 mg. There are recent studies identifying 1600 mg/day as the MED (minimum effective dose). They used hydrochloride; previous studies have already identified the sulfate forms as "the good stuff", because of their ability to donate a sulfur group to glucosaminoglycan (GAG) formation. These folks did not use a review of the literature to inform their treatment regimens; it reflects the importance of prpoerly doing your homework prior to designing a study, more than it reflects the efficacy of G/C supplementation for the treatment of knee ROM's, stiffness or pain.

Blanket interpretation of studies so performed unfortunately lead to gross conclusions that misinform the public, and too often, docs as well.

Regards,

D.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glucosamine has worked real well for me. I also used it in conjunction with tiger balm when I hurt my knee, and got a lot more movement out of them combined. Those supplements don't typically have pain relievers in them, just relieves joints rubbing, and other tissue damage in the joint.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My knees are getting horrible. One of out Blackbelts is a Chiropractor and he told me to start taking this. He said it works wonders.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
My knees are getting horrible. One of out Blackbelts is a Chiropractor and he told me to start taking this. He said it works wonders.

He's right. Spare no expense and use it diligently for a few months.

OP
INDYFIGHTER

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For the record since I started this thread I have to say I agree with everyone here. My knees don't pop and crack and even my knuckles seem to hurt less when I was taking it consistantly. I just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks for your input!

Latest Discussions