Glancing Salute,

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once again I'll put up what I have of this technique. Of course once again it may vary from person to person, studio to studio, and so forth. Please respond with any variations, likes, your dislikes, anything you feel might be helpful for us to gain more insight into this technique.

7. GLANCING SALUTE (front right cross shoulder push)
1. Standing naturally while opponent pushes your right shoulder with his right hand, step forward and to your left to 11 o'clock with your left foot (into a left neutral bow) immediately pivot to your right (to 3 o'clock) into a right modified horse as your right arm pins opponent's right wrist to your right chest as your left vertical elbow strikes out and against the joint of your opponent's right elbow to cause a break.
2. Pivot to your left (to 12 o'clock) into a left forward bow as your left hand pins opponent's right arm to his body and your right thrusting heel of palm strikes to opponent's jaw.
3. Hook the back of opponent's neck with your right hand as it forms the shape of the crane. Pull opponent's neck down as your right knee kicks to opponent's stomach. Land in a right neutral bow facing 12 o’clock.
4. Front crossover cover out towards 6 o’clock.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
probably the only thing different...instead of a modified horse, I go into a right forward bow while pinning the wrist and doing the forearm strike. then pivot into the left forward while doing a pinning check to the right arm and the right thrusting palm heel to the jaw.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the way I do it, but at the end after the knee as your landing forward I was taught to add a right flapping elbow to the face.

:asian:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Klondike93
That's the way I do it, but at the end after the knee as your landing forward I was taught to add a right flapping elbow to the face.

That's how I was taught it ... rotate counter clockwise as you
execute a right horizontal inward elbow strike to left jaw of
opponent.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction Kirk :)

After playing with the technique for a few minutes that's how I do it as well, with a right inward elbow not a flapping elbow.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Klondike93
Thanks for the correction Kirk :)

After playing with the technique for a few minutes that's how I do it as well, with a right inward elbow not a flapping elbow.

LOL, I didn't even catch the difference! Oopsie! hehehe

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what happened to my elbow description there. I just read it again and it's gone:( . There should be an opposing forces motion by pulling the head down with the knee strike the land in the neutral bow with the leg check followed by a right inward elbow to the face. Sorry I should have checked it last night.

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In some cases, I have seen the technique been executed just up to the knee strike and then covering out and then some execute the technique finishing with the elbow strike.

I think it will greatly depend upon the reaction of the opponent after being struck with the knee. Some opponent's will completely drop from the knee strike, possibly making it hard to plant forward or to execute an inward elbow.

Either way, I love the technique... and the extension even more.

Has anyone watched Mr. Tatum teach the extension to the technique on his videos? He makes a really great point.

Good journey!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

K

Kirk

What I don't understand is why you don't pull the guy's head
down and smash his face into your knee. :confused:

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kirk,

I think considering the heel palm strike to the face and then hooking behind the neck and pulling them the whole way down to your knee would be an odd angle of execution. I think to maximize the total effects that a knee strike could cause... striking tot he body is the best angle of execution.

Just my thoughts... though I would love a nice knee strike to the face :)

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

K

Kirk

Originally posted by True2Kenpo
Kirk,

I think considering the heel palm strike to the face and then hooking behind the neck and pulling them the whole way down to your knee would be an odd angle of execution. I think to maximize the total effects that a knee strike could cause... striking tot he body is the best angle of execution.

Just my thoughts... though I would love a nice knee strike to the face :)

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Any seminars planned up your way in early August?

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A knee to the face would be considered a lifting knee strike. What you want is a thrusting knee strike to drive the attacker back with the strike to the groin or stomach. Drop the hips back to gain access for the elbow to the face.

J

Jill666

Agreed, of course if the face happens to be there, well, oopsie.

Truly it is usually better to employ the thrusting knee, though- and I appreciate you adding the hip movement to your recent post. That's so important and so many forget to do this resulting in ugly off-balance strikes.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by True2Kenpo
In some cases, I have seen the technique been executed just up to the knee strike and then covering out and then some execute the technique finishing with the elbow strike.

I think it will greatly depend upon the reaction of the opponent after being struck with the knee. Some opponent's will completely drop from the knee strike, possibly making it hard to plant forward or to execute an inward elbow.

Either way, I love the technique... and the extension even more.

Has anyone watched Mr. Tatum teach the extension to the technique on his videos? He makes a really great point.

Good journey!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

I have, Oh, I think it was me he did it on LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
I have, Oh, I think it was me he did it on LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

And you haven't been right in the head since! :rofl:

K

Kenpo Yahoo

What I don't understand is why you don't pull the guy's head
down and smash his face into your knee?

I had a chance to talk to Guy Metzger a few months back and he stated vehemently that you should never knee to the front of the face. When I asked him why, he told me that in one of his early fights he did exactly what he had just said not to do and almost passed out after his opponents teeth were imbedded into his knee. A knee to the ribs, sternum, collarbone, or even side of the face would be good, but I don't like the idea of having some guys pearly whites chomping through my leg.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
We had an incident in sparring class last week that illustrates that point. Tess and Pete were sparring. He came in on a low level pass, and without thinking, she put a knee in his face. The result? Tissue up his nose and an ice pack on her knee accompanied by two days of limping. If you are going to knee to the face, make sure you do it intentionally and are very accurate. In MY opinion, which is mine and mine alone, if I am kneeing to the face, I generally go for the lower jaw.

K

ken_loc

when you said it may differ from person to person yes , not every body prefers to do the the same technique the same way.
But when you said that it may differ from sudio to studio that is what i disagree with. Yes it does differ from studio to studio but this should not be. It should be taught to every one the same way it was established as a technique in that system. Who says that one person has the right to change and teach some thing other than what was learned. yes, on the street one has to execute a technique the way they are comfortable , but a student needs a foundation on which to learn and then later modify to his or her personal preference. To teach something other than what is correct as fact is nothing but a bastardization of the truth. I mean not to offend anyone just expressing my opinion.

yours in kenpo,
josh

:asian: :asian:

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[/B][/QUOTE]
when you said it may differ from person to person yes , not every body prefers to do the the same technique the same way.

I feel the same way.

But when you said that it may differ from sudio to studio that is what i disagree with.

Your next sentence contradicts this statement.

Yes it does differ from studio to studio but this should not be. It should be taught to every one the same way it was established as a technique in that system. Who says that one person has the right to change and teach some thing other than what was learned.

I agree 100% that everyone should be learning the technique exactly the same. I don't care if it's this country or another one that does Parkers Kenpo.:asian:

yes, on the street one has to execute a technique the way they are comfortable

I'm sure that you are very well aware of the what if and formulation phase of kenpo. This just comes from practice and tailoring to what you feel comfortable with once you establish the base curriculum that should be set forth as a standard worldwide.

but a student needs a foundation on which to learn and then later modify to his or her personal preference.

If you were actually referring to my post in the beginning; Your preaching to the choir bro.

To teach something other than what is correct as fact is nothing but a bastardization of the truth.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not into bastardizing kenpo in any way, shape, or form.

I mean not to offend anyone just expressing my opinion.

I'm also not trying to offend you. I'm giving my view points only.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth