Gifts for Friends at Christmas

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinions. I like to do home made gifts when I can for my friends and family. I was thinking this year about giving everyone a set of smoked salts. I'd probably do like three different kinds: apple, hickory and cherry. Is this a good gift idea? Do you think a wide range of people would appreciate it, or is it really something only a "foodie" would enjoy?

I don't want to give a gift that people are like, "Thanks, Steve. (what the hell is this???)" :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its a great idea. I've been experimenting with herb salt myself.

I think a lot of people appreciate handmade gifts. Salt is something that everyone uses.

After my dad had his stroke, his cardiologist restricted his salt down to 2000mg a day. I think my mom was using a lot less than that as she seemed to pretty much banish all salt from her cooking. My dad has been gone for over 10 years now, but my mom got used to the taste so now that's largely all she eats. I gotta say...eating a meal or two down there is a good reminder of why people were paid in salt. Based their lives around salt. Fought wars over salt.

Now granted, I'm a bit of a foodie myself....but personally? Salt good. Homemade smoked salts? Awesome!! :D

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. That's what I'm hoping for. I'm still mulling over what woods to use. Alder is great for fish. Pretty much all I use for salmon. Hickory is stronger, and tastes great with pork and beef. Cherry and Apple are milder and good for just about anything.

What got me thinking about it is how expensive smoked salts are to buy. For example, a 9 oz container of Alderwood smoked salt is $10.99.

http://www.saltworks.us/salish-alder-wood-smoked-sea-salt.html#.UegUutKA_I4

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They can be expensive to make, too. The herb salt I make begins with a top quality sea salt or Himalayan rock salt. I don't just pour a bunch of Norton's in a bowl and mash it up with herbs :D

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've never even heard of smoked salt, but I think its a great idea. And homemade makes it that much better.

Of course I may fall into your foodie category. My wife usually gives me unusual hot sauces for Christmas.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Carol, what sorts of herbs do you use?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So far I've had better luck with "harder" herbs such as rosemary. I haven't gotten the blend I'm looking for yet tho, so I'm still experimenting.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinions. I like to do home made gifts when I can for my friends and family. I was thinking this year about giving everyone a set of smoked salts. I'd probably do like three different kinds: apple, hickory and cherry. Is this a good gift idea? Do you think a wide range of people would appreciate it, or is it really something only a "foodie" would enjoy?

I don't want to give a gift that people are like, "Thanks, Steve. (what the hell is this???)" :)

So how dose one get on your Christmas gift list. I think you should smoke a bunch send it to me to try and then I give my opinion

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We should start a food swap. A BBQ forum I belong to does a random sauce swap every few months. Everyone that wants to participate puts there name in then people are randomly paired up and you send each other samples of local food sauces or spices. Its cool last time I was paired up with someone from Denver they sent me some Denver bronco BBQ sauce it was kinda funny

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you think a wide range of people would appreciate it, or is it really something only a "foodie" would enjoy? I don't want to give a gift that people are like, "Thanks, Steve. (what the hell is this???)" :)

Hey, they are your friends, right? do they like to cook or grill or whatever? if not it will be wasted (so send it to me).

I learned the hard way - non-cooking people like to EAT what I cook. Thats why we're friends.

"Hey Rastia, what is this??" "what's with this wierd salt thing?"

" just eat it'.

happiness ensues.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We should start a food swap. A BBQ forum I belong to does a random sauce swap every few months. Everyone that wants to participate puts there name in then people are randomly paired up and you send each other samples of local food sauces or spices. Its cool last time I was paired up with someone from Denver they sent me some Denver bronco BBQ sauce it was kinda funny

hey ballen

i'm in. but you know great Q is not related to sauce. Low and Slow. everything else is grillin'.

I'm BBQ ecumenical. prefer whole hog but I'm not piggy. (ok, sorry).

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hey ballen

i'm in. but you know great Q is not related to sauce. Low and Slow. everything else is grillin'.

I'm BBQ ecumenical. prefer whole hog but I'm not piggy. (ok, sorry).

Yeah its not really BBQ sauces its whatever is popular in your area. Like I always send Chesapeake Blue Crab Salsa, usually some seafood seasonings and then some local BBQ sauce that's made by a local BBQ team that tours the circuit
I've received everything from different hot sauces buffalo wing sauce dry rubs

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be totally down with that. If I can't get my herb salt figured out, I can at least trade some maple syrup -- the "hoodie" picture I posted in one of the Zimmerman/Martin threads is me chatting with the owner of a local sugar shack :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Include a recipe or some use guidance, especially if the recipient isn't as much into fanciness in food. (Some of us enjoy cooking, but tend to stay fairly simple, y'know...)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea! But I like to try different food flavors and combinations. A bit of maple salt in my dinner fritatta with a Founders Breakfast Stout!?!?!? That's what I'm talking about!

:)

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I think I'm going to make this happen. I'll be on the look out for suitable containers and such, and adding some suggestions for using each kind of salt will be a snap.

Adrasteia, I am with you. I don't sauce or glaze my bbq on the grill. I grew up in Texas, eating BBQ rubbed down and cooked slow, and that's pretty much how I like things. I figure if it's cooked right, it's plenty moist without covering it with sauce. But everyone else in my family adds sauce at the table. If I do use a sauce, I like them more thin and vinegar based, with a spicy bite.

Latest Discussions