Giant Asteroid may smash Earth in 2040...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://now.msn.com/living/0228-asteroid-smash-2040.aspx

What do you think? Sci-fi response and attempt to blow it up or deflect it?

You never want to wait until the 'extinction level' event is about to occur and then try a new technology to stop it for the first time. So I say we need some practice. Blow that thing the hell up; let's get some target practice in before a really big one comes along. Enough talk, start blowing **** up! I want a boom. A big boom.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You never want to wait until the 'extinction level' event is about to occur and then try a new technology to stop it for the first time. So I say we need some practice. Blow that thing the hell up; let's get some target practice in before a really big one comes along. Enough talk, start blowing **** up! I want a boom. A big boom.

I guess that was said tongue in cheek. Blowing it up vs trying to redirect it into the sun or out of the solar system would likely see us bombarded by a lot of large chunks of debris.

I think we can only accept the Mayans were right about the century, and just a little of on the date. :uhyeah:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess that was said tongue in cheek. Blowing it up vs trying to redirect it into the sun or out of the solar system would likely see us bombarded by a lot of large chunks of debris.

I think we can only accept the Mayans were right about the century, and just a little of on the date. :uhyeah:

Nah, the thing's not that big now. Blow it up and the little pieces will burn up in a pretty light show. Kaboom!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We might blow it up, but it wouldn't make a sound-no boom, sorry.

I distinctly recall watching Star Wars and the weapons they fired in space made sounds, and the things that blew up made explosion noises. So I think you are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a more serious note, this asteroid is supposedly about 460 feet in diameter. As I understand it, extinction-level asteroids are 1 kilometer in diameter or bigger. This thing is hardly even a threat. Naturally, if it fell on you, you would not like it, but it's not like it's going to wipe out all life or whatever.

I was jesting, but in reality, yes, we do need some practice on moving things around and/or blowing them up, and this might be a good small scale test.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No no no this can't be... they end is neigh...the Mayans said so… and that is 28 years to late :D
Well that's the Spaniards fault. If they weren't too busy wiping out the Mayans for their gold, then the Mayans might've had time to finish their calendar.

Anyway doing the math... if I live that long I'll be about 79-80 yrs old. See if I care by then or not.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep.

One thing: The Mayans didnt predict the end of the world.
They predicted the celebration that would mark the continued existance of the World, where theyd all feast and celebrate.
Which was misconstrewed as being an end of the world, rather than just the end of that calendar.

Anywho.

I say blow it up. Debris is nothing compared to a massive impact.

On a more serious note, this asteroid is supposedly about 460 feet in diameter. As I understand it, extinction-level asteroids are 1 kilometer in diameter or bigger. This thing is hardly even a threat. Naturally, if it fell on you, you would not like it, but it's not like it's going to wipe out all life or whatever.
I was jesting, but in reality, yes, we do need some practice on moving things around and/or blowing them up, and this might be a good small scale test.

I agree with testing. It cant hurt.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Mattocks said:

Not likely to cause an extinction level event, but impact on land would likely be pretty devastating. The Canyon Diablo Meteor that made Meteor Crater (once called "Canyon Diablo Crater") in Arizona was about 150 feet across.

It had an explosive impact equivalent to 20,000 kilotons of TNT.

20 megatons would be a pretty messy thing to drop in the middle of Denver,New York, London, Paris, Moscow, Beijing, Tokyo or Seoul.

Assuming this thing has the same nickel-iron composition, and followed the same sort of flight trajectory, it would have a lot more mass left from atmospheric entry, and a higher explosive yield.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep.

One thing: The Mayans didnt predict the end of the world.
They predicted the celebration that would mark the continued existance of the World, where theyd all feast and celebrate.
Which was misconstrewed as being an end of the world, rather than just the end of that calendar.

Anywho.

I say blow it up. Debris is nothing compared to a massive impact.

I agree with testing. It cant hurt.

ah boo. feast and celebrations don't sell tabloids.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not likely to cause an extinction level event, but impact on land would likely be pretty devastating. The Canyon Diablo Meteor that made Meteor Crater (once called "Canyon Diablo Meteor") in Arizona was about 150 feet across.

20 megatons would be a pretty messy thing to drop in the middle of Denver,New York, London, Paris, Moscow, Beijing, Tokyo or Seoul.

Assuming this thing has the same nickel-iron composition, and followed the same sort of flight trajectory, it would have a lot more mass left from atmospheric entry, and a higher explosive yield.

Of course if it hit in New Jersey property values might go up.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not likely to cause an extinction level event, but impact on land would likely be pretty devastating. The Canyon Diablo Meteor that made Meteor Crater (once called "Canyon Diablo Meteor") in Arizona was about 150 feet across.

Good information, thanks. All the more reason to blow it the hell up. No point in having weapons we never use.

In fact, what would be great would be to get one of those new-fangled railguns that General Atomics is building for the Navy (great name, General Atomics) up into orbit and use that. I mean there you go; you get lots of shots on target with something that is technically non-explosive; just packs a wallop.

http://atg.ga.com/EM/defense/railgun/index.php

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately with the rail gun in space, the projectile would go one way and the gun would go the other way.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately with the rail gun in space, the projectile would go one way and the gun would go the other way.

So recover the vehicle. You want to take the shot from the apogee of a trans-lunar magnitude orbit anyway, you want some lateral motion to the impact, ideally off the earth's plane of rotation. It'll be a large alteration in the orbit, but not unrecoverable, and indeed, if you take the shot right, you could drive it right back into a 'catching' orbit.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
we need.....

bruce-willis-armageddon.jpg

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Fortunately, since their mass is not equal, the backward movement of the rail gun would be less; and you could couple the movement to something like a generator to recover some of the energy lost charging the thing up, converting mechanical motion back to energy again. Like regenerative braking in new electric vehicles.

Latest Discussions