Getting into a out of class training routine!

P

pineapple head

Same old story......
I start to want to train harder ..so i do!
It lasts a couple of months at getting up early , going to the gym , doing weights , running and practicing techs..THEN BANG!!!!
Stop...have a few beers , sit back and so on.
Am i lazy ? or just cannot see anything through?
Been at Kenpo 3 years ( Purple) .
Yeah i work hard and have wife and kids , but i guess a lot of you guys do to.How do you settle into a routine and sustain it?

Gary.

Originally posted by pineapple head
Same old story......
I start to want to train harder ..so i do!
It lasts a couple of months at getting up early , going to the gym , doing weights , running and practicing techs..THEN BANG!!!!
Stop...have a few beers , sit back and so on.
Am i lazy ? or just cannot see anything through?
Been at Kenpo 3 years ( Purple) .
Yeah i work hard and have wife and kids , but i guess a lot of you guys do to.How do you settle into a routine and sustain it?

Gary.

Start slow and build a habit. Once it's a habit, it's pretty easy to maintain.

Don't go all gung ho to begin with. That may be burning you out.

Start slow and keep a log of when you workout. Your initial goal is to maintain whatever training regimen you initiate for a month. That should make it a habit. If you miss a day, start the month over. It may take you 2 or 3 months to get through an entire month without missing. But it should, by that time, be a habit. Then you can kind of let your body dicatate when you workout. And if you miss a day. Don't worry about it. Once it's a habit, it'll be much harder to break. Missing a day here or there won't get you out of the habit.

Mike

pesilat is right...start slow...well, not so much "slow" so to speak, but don't take on too much all at once.

you want to do all these things...lift, run, practice techs more. however breaking the habbits that you already have for your daily routine is easier said than done. set realistic goals for yourself. a lot of people say, "man...from this point on i'm going to workout, do this and this and this, every single day," but then they just drop it after a week or two. sometimes it's the planning, the scheduling that is the problem, but usually it's just too much at once.

good things to do:

1. get a log/schedule/notebook: write a schedule down for yourself and stick to it, but be realistic. appoint times and activities that you know you're going to be able to stick to. if you've been going to bed at say, 12:00, and then schedule yourself a morning workout for 6:00 or even 5:00...chances are you aren't getting out of your bed.

2. try to get a partner: this is also easier said than done...but it helps incredibly to have someone working with you that is dedicated to you cause and will push you when you start to slack off.

3. don't take things for granted: what i mean is...don't just concentrate on what you think your problem is. maybe you think your muscles aren't defined enough...so you lift. well that's great, but lifting isn't going to get you cut without cardio. more related to martial arts...say you want to get better at sparring, but without that dedicated cardio routine, you'll be gassing out so much that your skills will barely improve because you'll be too winded to put out a good effort. DIET IS ALSO KEY. not just for being in top athletic shape, but for improving your life overall. you'll feel better, look better, and have much more energy be more alert.

leaving things out that you aren't worried about is like a bodybuilder that only works on the vanity mucsles like the biceps and chest...while their legs, back, tris, etc....are neglected, and therefore the developement of the other muscles that you actually wanted to develope is hindered as a result.

4. have patience: don't expect the results you want right away. try not to expect them at all. just let nature take its course...and the results will come as a pleasant surprise to you and you'll know your hard work is paying off. the more you concentrate on seeing the results...the more it will seem your progress is slow-going.

there's a ton more things that you can do probably, but it's friday and my brain is fried from work here.

Stick to a particular training regimen for at least 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks change it up a little bit and focus on something new (kicking for instance) do this for 4 weeks and then change it again. You would be surprised how well keeping a log works even if it's just on a little note pad, but don't over do it. Try to ramp up the intensity, if you start feeling fatigued cut way back, but don't quit. It's to hard to convince yourself to get going again if you quit.

Well..... I've had the same experience, been at/in it for over 6 yrs now. I'm a Kenpo Orphan. To help my situation I started an informal club, just a few buddies, to "make" me get off my butt and train.

Back