Combos and training routines

Azural

White Belt
Reaction score
Everyone knows that the best way to get something down is to work it over and over again, but sometimes going into the gym with the intention of hitting the bag is hard. You start out for a few minutes but then boredom hits, and you start to slack. Can anyone share with me their training routines so that I can keep to the bag for an hour at a time? I understand it will be repetitive, but I really need some direction when it comes to what techniques I should use and how many times to use them before moving on.

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if you're bored with the punching bag then try other equipments. such as the speed ball, weights. If you're really bored then try sparring. there you will see that you need to train some more and practice techniques. then you can spar again to see the results and the flaws. do this again and again

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No matter what you do, an hour on the heavy bag is going to get boring. Try shortenoing the session on the bag to 20-30 min. Try running through a routine from a class. Start out with some jumping rope, then shadow boxing, then move on to your bag drills. If boredom is your main obstacle then try to mix your training up a bit. Work on perfecting different combos or different kicks or even go back and refresh yourself on the basics.

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've never gotten bored in training before so I really dont know what to say.
It always seems like there is not enough time or energy to practice all the things I want!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
No matter what you do, an hour on the heavy bag is going to get boring. Try shortenoing the session on the bag to 20-30 min. Try running through a routine from a class. Start out with some jumping rope, then shadow boxing, then move on to your bag drills. If boredom is your main obstacle then try to mix your training up a bit. Work on perfecting different combos or different kicks or even go back and refresh yourself on the basics.

I'm going to echo Thaistyle here, as it's good info. Also, grab a buzzer or some sort of timer. Try some interval training (60 sec full power full speed mid kicks/buzzer/60 sec elbows/buzzer/60 sec hooks/etc etc etc).

Also, it sounds like you're by yourself at these moments. I'm notorious for slacking when going it alone. Grab a partner/friend/etc and go to work, and really push each other to excel. you'll find that hour melt away in no time. :)

Jutt-

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Definitely agree on the partner/instructor thing.

When it's time for the bag that extra motivational voice is needed to keep focused!

Latest Discussions