Getting in the clinch

xjrrrdx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tonight we were working on some sparring where the partner throws punches to the head or body and you try to move/parry and find the right time to get into the clinch and throw a soft knee.

I can see the punches coming and I can dodge and parry them but I am having the hardest time doing it in one motion. I tend to parry hesitate and then attempt to go into the plumb by that time I get hit again haha. Also since I have never done any sort of sparring before so when the punch comes I tend to parry, dodge, or just block, I feel as if my feet are in sand and they are just planted. I know it only comes more with sparring, but it was just frustrating the hell out of me how I couldnt get in for the clinch. Here is the dumb question, are there any pointers that can help me make it in one motion, such as a certain move you do or you liek to do?

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
The most basic clinch entry tip I can give you is to move forward when you block. It tends to jam up their punches and gives you enough room to slip in a clinch (you'll notice their elbows are not fully extended). It's harder to clinch when you are staying back and parrying - the opponent is too far. You'll need to step in to reach your opponent and you'll most likely reveal your intent. Also try not to give your move away by reaching out with both hands - you'll only get a nice counter punch to the face or get pushed off. Reach out with your lead hand (throw an optional knee to distract) then lock in your other hand.

If your opponent has a tight guard and you can't reach around, then throw a one-two to force their guard up and clinch their guard. Should buy you enough time for a knee or two. There's lots of tricks when it comes to clinching, find the one that works best for you. Good luck :)

OP
X

xjrrrdx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ahh okay, I think that was my first problem, I was staying back to parry and block the punches, and it took me forever to get from punching distance in to the distance to get in the clinch.

Thanks for that tip!

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As king said, move in close as you block. I know how you feel. When I started muay Thai many, many moons ago, I hesitated at first and then one day everything just worked as I was taught. One thing to remember, in muay thai you also trade hit for hit (helps you get over the fear of getting hit). I hope this helps you out somewhat.