Get off my bus!!!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marine Corps Boot Camp, MCRD, San Diego, CA. From what I can see, nothing has changed between 1979 and now. I'm so glad!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the first week of ARMY boot camp. Do you see why the Marines are not soldiers now? Get it?

[video=youtube_share;iK37flEHYn0]http://youtu.be/iK37flEHYn0[/video]

This is the first week of MARINE CORPS boot camp.

[video=youtube_share;EHH2UgkVMyo]http://youtu.be/EHH2UgkVMyo[/video]

Look at all similar? No, I didn't think so.

Semper Fidelis, baby.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: Marines sure do do a lot of content-free shouting! :lol:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand your pride Bill. I have always had a lot of respect for the Marines. They are closer to what I consider the ideal soldier than anyone else. I think I mentioned to you once that my 1st three years in the US Army were in the Airborne Infantry. After that I was in law enforcement. But I never stopped thinking of myself as airborne for the next 26 years. I was quite proud to be assigned to the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam. Now that was a fighting unit when I joined them in 1967.

My best friend at work is a retired marine. Reason? We think more alike that most people. Good to be around people like that.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow Bill, can it be that there are no other Marines on MT? Must not be or you should have gotten a lot of agreement. Maybe you should have titled the thread "Get off my non-Marine bus!!" :uhyeah:

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow Bill, can it be that there are no other Marines on MT? Must not be or you should have gotten a lot of agreement. Maybe you should have titled the thread "Get off my non-Marine bus!!" :uhyeah:

Oh, there are a few of us here. We're just slow readers. :uhyeah:

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Marine Corps Boot Camp, MCRD, San Diego, CA. From what I can see, nothing has changed between 1979 and now. I'm so glad!

Once a Marine always a Marine..
Thanks Bill (and Semper Fi from a Devil Pup)

Last edited by a moderator:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, there are a few of us here. We're just slow readers. :uhyeah:

Might be. :uhyeah: But I am sure it isn't too much different from many years ago as to mission accomplishment. I can remember reading accounts from WWII by newsmen on both Marines and Army Airborne; "It can't be done." or "Too dangerous." or "Let's wait for some help." just weren't in the vocabulary. It was the same in Vietnam. In fact my heart went out the the Marines there. Army wounded who were seriously wounded enough to be sent to Japan, usually got a ticket home and didn't return until it was in their rotation turn (I had to argue with the doctor when I broke my ankle and he wanted to send me to Japan; I knew that was automatically a return to the USA and didn't want it). The Marines weren't as big and a man who could be returned to duty had a year to serve, so back to Vietnam from Japan he went.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh God, it sounds like my Dad having a fit on me. Nothing quite like getting woken up to him yelling like that at 2 in the morning. I'm pissed off all over again just listening to that.

Wonder how similar Royal Engineers and SAS are to US Army and Marines? Completely different or similarities?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everytime I watch "Full Metal Jacket" from Dir. Stanley Krubrick I keep thinking to myself in reflection of Gunny Sgt. Hartman (played wonderfully by R. Lee Emery), there's no way on this green wonderful earth I'd be able to stand there at full attention with him spewing that kind of talk in my face and have a straight face throughout.
Reckon I'd be pretty damned buff from all the push-ups I'd be doing and my hands chapped raw from the KP and head cleaning duties I'd be pulling... just because I couldn't keep that smirking smile off my face.

(in a John Wayne voice): Is that you, is this me?

A close friend's eldest son recently got through BT in Pendleton CA. Mom and dad proudly showing him wearing his dress blues and standing tall besides the family in a few informal portraits. They're LDS and Lord I got to thinking that boy probably just learned every swear in the book in the first 5 minutes after his bus arrived to the base. Kid's ears must've been volcanic by the end of the night. :lol:
Semper Fi True Marines! You do our country proud!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everytime I watch "Full Metal Jacket" from Dir. Stanley Krubrick I keep thinking to myself in reflection of Gunny Sgt. Hartman (played wonderfully by R. Lee Emery), there's no way on this green wonderful earth I'd be able to stand there at full attention with him spewing that kind of talk in my face and have a straight face throughout.
Reckon I'd be pretty damned buff from all the push-ups I'd be doing and my hands chapped raw from the KP and head cleaning duties I'd be pulling... just because I couldn't keep that smirking smile off my face.

For those who saw "Full Metal Jacket" and are not US Marines, let me inform you that the first 1/2 of this movie, the part dealing with boot camp, is 100% accurate. In the video I attached above of MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot) in San Diego, the only thing different between that barracks and the one in the movie and the one I lived in for 13 weeks was that in my barracks; and the movie, there were rifle racks behind the bunks (also called 'racks'). In the current barracks, they seem to have removed the rifles from the barracks now. We wore different cammies and different boots, and our towels were white instead of OD green. Otherwise, it does not look like anything has changed. This is authentic; the movie was authentic. R. Lee Ermey was a Marine Drill Instructor and he played it straight.

My own dad was a Marine Drill Instructor as well, so I knew what to expect. And I was not disappointed.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh God, it sounds like my Dad having a fit on me. Nothing quite like getting woken up to him yelling like that at 2 in the morning. I'm pissed off all over again just listening to that.

Wonder how similar Royal Engineers and SAS are to US Army and Marines? Completely different or similarities?

My sympathies. I don't know of any reason that should happen.

However, with combat troops, there is method behind the madness. The more you can take harassment when you don't have to (as in becoming a combat troop is voluntary, and being able to get a discharge out of basic isn't as hard as after basic), the more you can take it when you can't change things. Marines and Airborne (double volunteers) are light infantry.

One of the Marine's reasons for being is to charge up hot beaches, and Airborne's is to drop behind enemy lines. You only get to bring to the fight what you can carry, and help is often hard to come by. The Marines may get a little more support from logistic support ships, as well as Navy Cruisers and Destroyers, but that firepower has usually proven to have been somewhat ineffective once they hit a beach. To do those missions, you have to be a cut above the rest to survive and complete the mission. Being able to take harassment is the beginning of separating those who can make it, and those who can't, and teaching marginal ones how to deal with what they may face. It raises the bar on when you are willing to quit.

To those who haven't lived it, and understood the reason why, it probably sounds trite.